Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,546   Posts: 1,544,515   Online: 1145

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format

ongoing union strike at Agfa for a week now

Since Friday last week there is strike action by workers of Agfa-Materials (the chemical part of the campany).

Recently there had been job cuts world wide at Agfa. The cause for that strike though is rather a decrease and stop of automatism of the so-called bridge-pension for flemish workers who leave the plants before their pension-proper.

Due to that strike all workers received a letter from Materials explaining the decrease in interest for film produducts and Agfa's countermeasure to have moved their interest to to digital products meanwhile and for Materials to gather as much market share (including from competitors) as possible to slow down the decrease in production.
    The workers are addressed to stabilize the gained equilibrium by tolerating cuts in their income/pernsion. Furthermore Agfa would not have any interest at the moment in allowing someone to go into bridge-pension. And any strike action wou´ld endanger the gained market share.

Yesterday action evolved into blocking the plants. The management reacted by advising all employees to go home for that day and the next. Servants are said to have joined the strike.
    (The flemish part in contrast to the german one has a history of strike sction.)
    Last edited by AgX; 02-28-2014 at 03:09 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for that. A lot of companies in possibly much better financial shape than Agfa-Materials have made similar cuts in pension terms. In the U.K. the number of companies offering what is know as final salary pension schemes has decreased drastically since 2000.

I hope it is resolved but I fear that the workers will not be able to "hold back the tide" as the saying goes

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sorry to hear about the strike, I hope Agfa can pull throw.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Either way, not an easy situation and one where empathy falls to both sides.

It does make me wonder how many of the striking employees use for creative purposes the materials they produce. I think they'd be more sympathetic if they did use them and had an interest in the larger picture, but who knows. So many circumstances.

I hope it gets worked out quickly and everyone comes out the better.

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Agfa is moving to digital at full speed and they just try to milk the cow as long as it gets before closing their ugly non digital side of the business. It should also be said that the CEO could lower his salary won't happen though.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pstake View Post
    Either way, not an easy situation and one where empathy falls to both sides.

It does make me wonder how many of the striking employees use for creative purposes the materials they produce. I think they'd be more sympathetic if they did use them and had an interest in the larger picture, but who knows. So many circumstances.
    An interesting point. It would only make sense though if there would be an incentive at Agfa to actually create new markets for halide materials instead of picking shares of existing markets.

At the photo/cine clubs of Agfa film has vanished. The cinema at the Agfa plant, only a few meters off where cine print film is made, has got a digital projector.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    So what are the analog products that Agfa still makes?
    Are they tied in with Rollei, Adox at all?

What is at stake here?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    So what are the analog products that Agfa still makes?
    Are they tied in with Rollei, Adox at all?

What is at stake here?

This stuff? so ... not much that affects me, and probably not much that would be of creative use to any employees.

http://www.agfa.com/sp/global/en/int....jsp#Synthetic Papers

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MDR View Post
    Agfa is moving to digital at full speed and they just try to milk the cow as long as it gets before closing their ugly non digital side of the business. It should also be said that the CEO could lower his salary won't happen though.
    The board of directors díd get their income reduced during the latest recession.

The CEO who had been responsible for the mysterious sale of their consumer department (that went bancrupt short after) and who stated to the press that he had no idea what made former employees who lost their jobs by that bancruptcy think they had any claims against Agfa (claims later confirmed by highest court) left that position with a huge gratifications of 1/4 what the current reduction are to save annually.
    He made it into the papers again lately by retaining highly paid boards of directors seats next to his new CEO function. He replied he does not do it for the money.
    Last edited by AgX; 02-28-2014 at 04:07 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wow. No wonder there is a strike. What a crooked a$#hole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin