Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,497   Posts: 1,543,057   Online: 968

Shooter
    Medium Format

MPP Users Club to close...

How many here are members of the UK based mpp users club?

I received a letter today explaining that the officers of the club propose to shut it down at the agm on 23 March. It seems they have been asking for others to fill their roles for the last five years but no one has come forward. As they are all getting old and/or have other things to do they want to close the club.

It's an ultimatum. Step up and help or lose the club.

What do others here think? Anyone want to volunteer? I will, but that's only one of five positions.
    Last edited by Xpres; 03-07-2014 at 03:16 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    What is required? How can we help?

RR

Shooter
    Medium Format
    What they need is five officers to run the club who can be voted in on the 23 March at the agm. Chairman, Secretary, treasurer, webmaster and nl editor.

This is the letter I received - quick scan with my phone so apologies for errors...

MPP Users Club
    Dear Madam or Sir..
    You should have had formal notification ofthe AGM and EGM, and it is felt alittle explanation is needed. The club has been seriously short of officers for more than 5 years. but sadly, despite regular appeals and discussion at every AGM for years, no one has volunteered to take up the jobs vacant. Officers have had dilliculties from pressure of' other work and family commitments, and had to resign. One problem is that somejobs
    are more work than might be thought, At thc present, Dave Gosden has pressure from other work` and age is a problem for thc rest of us. Thus we need to retire. A Club cannot
    function without officers and therefore an EGM has been called. a˝er the AGM, so that the Club can bc closed if need be.
    However if, at thc AGM, competent members volunteer for the positions of.....
    Chairman, Secretary, Treasurer, Webmaster, NL Editor
    .,...then the club can continue.
    We have all enjoyed many years in membership and being able to help and contribute. also making man)vl good friends over the years too. We know closure is had. and very sad news, bul put simply. the horses are old. lircd. and can no longer plough lhe Dave
    lives in the far south west, so to attend the AGM involves driving more than 500 mile5_ Others also travel similar distances.
    You will be interested to learn that the club archives (and they are extensive) may go to
    thc National Media Museum, Negotiations are Linder way with an 'in principle' outline ._ agreement. They cover mors` than 20 years and include original and copy MPP material,
    plus all Galettes and NLS. lt is suggested that the balance of funds should go to a charity.
    to be chosen at the EGM. lf thc club does close. there will be at least one more NL, as a Y MPP camera, under another name. has been found recently and with closing ,╔ accounts. it will be good way to wrap things up properly in a ˝nal edition.
    l hope this explains things. Volunteers should contact Dave at thc Website or Neill al thc i* above address. or come forward at the AGM.
    Best regards.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've only one MPP - a Microcord but I have used their website. It's been stuck in a time warp for quite a few years now but having said that it's not easy to maintain and improve a site which has a limited scope. Graflex.org is an example of a slightly larger and a bit more active website with it's own forum, useful for those purely Graflex questions etc.

I can't see any benefits to the Users club other than the Newsletter, however a more open MPP User group with a forum might well attract far more people. The Graflex Historic Quarterly magazines are online & free but even they struggle now for content as the old collectors begin to drop by the wayside.

There is a need for new blood to revive the website and it's content and more importantly be a better resource for MPP users.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    That's terrible news.

I've only just come across MPP, Microcords and The MPP Users Club in the last couple of weeks. I've been shooting 35mm for the last 20 years but was looking for an entry camera into Medium Format.

I was born and grew up in Kingston and went to school on the same road as MPP was based so it has particular interest to me.

I'm happy to help out with Webmaster, NL Editor or any of the other roles to help keep the club going and could certainly re-do the website if that's required.

Unfortunately I'm away on the 23rd so won't be able to attend the AGM, but if you're there and could pass on my interest that would be great.

I'd be happy to try and drum up some more interest in the club by contacting the various Microcord flickr groups etc that I've come across in the last few days.

I'll try and email the Club now to offer my support.

Best,

Ben

Shooter
    Medium Format
    That's great Ben... just what the club needs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've found the website a good reference, and it would be a pity to see it go.
    However, having checked the site, I've remembered why I didn't join.
    I looked it up a few months ago, with a view to joining, but there's no friendly button to push, no way to set up a paypal payment, no donation button. It says you can send an email, and wait 21 days for a reply. Like most internet users, I thought "I'll sort that out later" and forgot all about it.

Also, I have the impression they send out a hard copy newsletter, which I wouldn't want.
    If the material were published on the website, that would be much more interesting and useful.
    As it is, the website is very static, and not at all interactive, and I wasn't even sure if the club was still in being.

I'm surprised if this has been shaping up for 5 years. I watch 2 or 3 photographic websites regularly, and I don't recall seeing anything until now.

I don't want to get involved in running a club, but glad to see Ben offering as webmaster, which is what is needed. It would be nice to retain the current reference material, have an easier joining method, and something like a members upload area. But I don't know how much work that involves.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have an MPP VII and I am a member (and contributor) - but I live in California, and will not be in the UK for the AGM/EGM. MPP as a company was into some fascinating things - the last newsletter had an article on the UK mass chest x-ray program and the MPP equipment involved. I am just old enough to remember those mobile 'removal vans'.

All small organizations have to contend with this - balancing membership and active support. With something like MPP products which are now a finite and aging resource, the interest is becoming smaller as the years pass. We saw the same thing with Mamiya - they stopped even referring to their older equipment about ten years ago, and their distributors followed suit. if you don't have people able to do the work, it won't run itself.

The UK National Media Museum seems a good place for the records and data if it has to close down.

I sent the current committee my response directly - that's what they asked for.
    I feel, therefore I photograph.

Shooter
    35mm
    I reviewed the MPP Microcord on stevehuffphoto.com a couple years ago, http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2012/1...braar-hussain/

I hope the user club doesn't close, it has been a great source of information for me.
    Last edited by ibraar; 03-21-2014 at 06:37 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Only just found this thread. Sorry to see it go, but looking at the site, it's still up but no members being accepted.
    I only just acquired an MPP last year at that, a MkIII with a later International back, MkVI flash bracket and relatively recent bellows by the look of it. It's been updated as time went on by one or more previous owners. My word, it's a lump of a thing and just the job to fend off assailants or fellow press sharks with.
    If whoever takes over the running of the website opens it up for donations, I'd chuck a couple of quid in - it's been a very useful source of information to me.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin