Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,900   Posts: 1,584,389   Online: 671

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    I don't understand why Calumet's European operations haven't been effected .
    Might be a separately owned company, just using the brand name "Calumet" under licence. Similar to franchises, and, of course, the recent situation where the Swiss "Ilford" operation went into difficulties, but was completely unconnected to our own, much-loved, Harman Technology "Ilford" company.

A search on the UK government public register of companies (companieshouse.gov.uk ) can provide a lot of information for anyone interested, for a nominal fee.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Rather sad; I used to use these guys for hire equipment when I would fly to the US for photoshoots. Their selection was pretty good and the bonus for me, was that they happily delivered and collected the gear - I didn't need to try and find the place.

Have used Calumet in the UK many times as well, only thing was it was more complicated buying from them as their "International" sales were expected to go through the US.

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk...-united-states

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    And believe it or not, there is only RIT (AFAIK) for analog products in Rochester!!!

PE
    The eastman house museum store sells pretty much everything from chemicals to film (perhaps even paper?)
    CatLABS of JP
    Darkroom resources and service

www.catlabs.info | https://www.facebook.com/CatLABS.of.JP | www.jobo-usa.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    This is a shame for photography in general, at least here in the Washington DC area. I've occasionally dropped into the Penn Camera shop (owned by Calumet) over by Tysons Corner; it used to be that Penn would take trades and so have some used gear for sale, but that vanished in large part when Calumet took over and focused nearly entirely on digital. Their supplies of chemistry dropped to near nothing, so I no longer had much interest in going in. But they did have items that could be used by either analog or digital photographers: carry bags, backgrounds, lighting, etc. What's kind of odd is that the Metro has been extended to go through Tysons Corner and one of the stops is directly in front of Penn Camera there, so if it were still in business when the Metro line opens it would have stood a good chance of increased foot traffic. I can't now think of many other camera stores in the area I'll be visiting.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I remember asking about the used equipment question (they were suspending all trades for used gear for a while) when Calumet first took over Penn and was given some song and dance about regulations, which at the time sounded suspicious. Now I wonder if their financial situation was already a cause of that problem.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Well when Jacobs folded in the UK the next week they reopened some of the stores with skeleton staffs selling the stock at fire sale/clearance prices.

So I really had to help them, ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CatLABS View Post
    The eastman house museum store sells pretty much everything from chemicals to film (perhaps even paper?)
    The Eastman House store sells T=Shirts, Books, Hats and Movie Posters among other things, but no photographic items at all. In the basement, in the labs it is a different story.

AFAIK, Kodak is frankly indifferent to the situation regarding camera stores in Rochester. Rowe Photo is all digital now.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Trask View Post
    This is a shame for photography in general, at least here in the Washington DC area. I've occasionally dropped into the Penn Camera shop (owned by Calumet) over by Tysons Corner; it used to be that Penn would take trades and so have some used gear for sale, but that vanished in large part when Calumet took over and focused nearly entirely on digital. Their supplies of chemistry dropped to near nothing, so I no longer had much interest in going in. But they did have items that could be used by either analog or digital photographers: carry bags, backgrounds, lighting, etc. What's kind of odd is that the Metro has been extended to go through Tysons Corner and one of the stops is directly in front of Penn Camera there, so if it were still in business when the Metro line opens it would have stood a good chance of increased foot traffic. I can't now think of many other camera stores in the area I'll be visiting.
    I never saw you at Penn Camera.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    The Eastman House store sells T=Shirts, Books, Hats and Movie Posters among other things, but no photographic items at all. In the basement, in the labs it is a different story.

AFAIK, Kodak is frankly indifferent to the situation regarding camera stores in Rochester. Rowe Photo is all digital now.

PE
    Don't forget the collection of toy cameras like Diana's and holgas.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Newt_on_Swings View Post
    Don't forget the collection of toy cameras like Diana's and holgas.
    The coffee mugs and stationary are also very fine!

If photography is a ship, the George Eastman House is a lifeboat!
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin