Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,518   Posts: 1,645,583   Online: 914

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Well when Jacobs folded in the UK the next week they reopened some of the stores with skeleton staffs selling the stock at fire sale/clearance prices.

So I really had to help them, ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CatLABS View Post
    The eastman house museum store sells pretty much everything from chemicals to film (perhaps even paper?)
    The Eastman House store sells T=Shirts, Books, Hats and Movie Posters among other things, but no photographic items at all. In the basement, in the labs it is a different story.

AFAIK, Kodak is frankly indifferent to the situation regarding camera stores in Rochester. Rowe Photo is all digital now.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    The Eastman House store sells T=Shirts, Books, Hats and Movie Posters among other things, but no photographic items at all. In the basement, in the labs it is a different story.

AFAIK, Kodak is frankly indifferent to the situation regarding camera stores in Rochester. Rowe Photo is all digital now.

PE
    Don't forget the collection of toy cameras like Diana's and holgas.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Newt_on_Swings View Post
    Don't forget the collection of toy cameras like Diana's and holgas.
    The coffee mugs and stationary are also very fine!

If photography is a ship, the George Eastman House is a lifeboat!
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post

PE
    Actually the museum store has a film selection that puts many "pro" stores to shame. Add that to free parking, and a nice cafe - who could want more.
    I am sure if more students used that as a resource for supplied they would carry whatever those students needed...
    CatLABS of JP
    Darkroom resources and service

www.catlabs.info | https://www.facebook.com/CatLABS.of.JP | www.jobo-usa.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    Guess that explains the $5.00 sale on Fred Picker video DVDs.

And the complete shutting down of the Fidelity/Regal/Lisco film holder business they owned.

Ken
    So... Does that mean my film holders are worth more now?

Or that when I want 8x10 holders I will have to pay more?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Xmas View Post
    Well when Jacobs folded in the UK the next week they reopened some of the stores with skeleton staffs selling the stock at fire sale/clearance prices.

So I really had to help them, ...
    I bet the employees never got paid for that work...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CatLABS View Post
    Actually the museum store has a film selection that puts many "pro" stores to shame. Add that to free parking, and a nice cafe - who could want more.
    I am sure if more students used that as a resource for supplied they would carry whatever those students needed...
    IDK what shop you frequent there, but I just got back from GEH a few hours ago. No film there. I ate in the Cafe. The place was jammed with children on tour but the cafe was nearly empty. Chris and Nick and I had a nice quite lunch with Fred (prof_pixel) and then went back to work on the workshop for next week.

No film in sight. Were you last there about 50 years ago?

Oh, they sell my book but are out of it right now, and I said hi to the store manager who stopped into the cafe for something to drink. So, I am not a stranger there. I also have a collection of t-shirts and sweat shirts with the GEH logo.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    PE, the Eastman House store has a few Lomo & Holga type cameras plus other optical things way in the back, and they do sell some film and Kodak disposable cameras. They're right behind the checkout counter, hanging on the wall. Don't seem to be big sellers though.

Elsewhere in our erstwhile Photo City, Rowe Photo, Scott's Photo and Lumiere Photo all have limited selections of chemicals, paper and film. Most pharmacies and big box stores have a few 35mm rolls on display and still offer processing, but the pickings are very thin.

It's my understanding that Scott's Photo actually does C41 processing for Kodak because EK no longer has any on-site facilities. As for E6, there's only one guy in town who does commercial batch processing on special order.

A strange turn of events. That's why I'll be at your AZO workshop next week!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Kodak never seemed to care to market in Rochester, at least they didn't when I was there in the 80s and early 90s. Tried to get some donations for the Community Darkroom on Monroe but no go. Got a tabletop Ciba machine though. Sad about Calumet. A lot of people got started with LF on a calumet view. I sure did. Really feel for the staff.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin