Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,455   Posts: 1,570,510   Online: 1024

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3789101112131415 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I stopped going into any local camera stores more often than once every couple of years when I could no longer get most chemicals or any sheet film in most of them. And I've never been able to get 8x10 film in any brick and mortar store in the DC area for at least 15 years. So the only effect on me is that now I'll have to get my 120 film through B&H just as I've been doing with sheet film for the past 15 - 20 years. Not much of a hardship.

I kinda figured they wouldn't last long when they took over Penn Camera and stocked less film, the few chemicals they had been stocking disappeared, and they stopped selling photographic paper.

What did they expect? People go to brick and mortar camera stores to see what equipment they're going to order from Amazon or B&H. Nobody buys anything from them anymore. Did they really expect to successfully compete with online retailers?

BTW, you can still get these, too, just like buggy whips. As long as someone manufactures film, I'll be able to buy it. From someone. If they stop manufacturing I'll pour plates if I'm still alive.
    Last edited by c6h6o3; 03-16-2014 at 12:37 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Jim

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    CatLABS of JP
    Darkroom resources and service

www.catlabs.info | https://www.facebook.com/CatLABS.of.JP | www.jobo-usa.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Given how they treated employees, if I had rental equipment, I'd have them come and get it.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I loved the pictures of the employees bringing flowers; as in a funeral!! someone should buy up the rights to the Zone VI line and start to remake some of the equipment that had their stamp on it...timers;print screens; washers;etc
    best, peter
    website down for maintenance!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Or newsletters?

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by adelorenzo View Post
    via the Phoblographer: All their US stores are closed and, judging from the Facebook posts, employees had no idea they were out of a job today. Their website has also gone down.

It is true!!! Calumet Photo has filed Chapter 7 bankruptcy in the U.S. Their European Stores are still operating.

Locked tight. If a person had a camera in for repairs, they have to file a request with the bankruptcy attorney to retrieve it. This could take several weeks or longer. What a mess. The employees can not get in to get their personal belongings left inside.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yesterday, after arriving home from purchasing my spring supply of film at Denver ProPhoto, I felt a bit stupid to have paid about 20% more than B&H and Freestyle prices. But after revisiting this thread I feel a lot better. Every time I go in there they have somebody who can answer just about any stupid question. Where else could I go to talk to somebody about buying C41 Part C developer in powder form separately from Parts A and B?

Now there's only one place like that left in Chicago...
    “You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pbromaghin View Post
    Yesterday, after arriving home from purchasing my spring supply of film at Denver ProPhoto, I felt a bit stupid to have paid about 20% more than B&H and Freestyle prices. But after revisiting this thread I feel a lot better. Every time I go in there they have somebody who can answer just about any stupid question. Where else could I go to talk to somebody about buying C41 Part C developer in powder form separately from Parts A and B?

Now there's only one place like that left in Chicago...
    That's a great attitude to have. I too try to support the local businesses first, even though they cost more. We are very fortunate in Minneapolis to have West Photo who tries to support film and darkroom. At any given time I can purchase most Ilford photo paper, chemicals from Ilford, Kodak, Sprint, and Edwal, negative sleeves, archival binders, film from all the big names (although Fuji's distribution sucks and they have virtually no Fuji film in stock), and so on.
    If we want those businesses to survive, we have to support them.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There's one place left like that where I live. The chemical selection is small but they've got all the Ilford and Kodak stuff so that's plenty for me. The film selection is good and I try to buy all my film there. The only irritating part is the film is behind the counter, and nobody knows what any of it is even though it is freshly stocked. So if I want FP4 I have to guide the dummy to it "no not that one, a little higher, no too high, more to the left etc." I guess I shouldn't complain though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Crap now where am I supposed to get film on Saturday...

Fotocare I guess.
    See my work at my website CHRISTOPHER LANGE PHOTOGRAPHY

or my snaps at my blog MINIMUM DENSITY
    --
    If you don't have it, then you don't have it.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin