Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,965   Posts: 1,558,403   Online: 810

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 59101112131415
    DF

Why the big surprise? Their merchandise was the same as Best Buy's - Target - Walmart - etc.
    They used to be a photography store.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by c6h6o3 View Post
    There's only one camera store left in DC, and judging from their website, one has to wonder how long they'll last. However, Dick has always catered to pros by specializing in superlative factory authorized repairs of high end equipment, so maybe the last man standing in this town will stand for quite a while.

The bad news is that there's not a single word on his website about film. Not a single word.
    ProPhoto's website still says they're moving, when in fact they moved about nine months ago. I've dropped into the new place several times -- once to drop of a Nikon F for a CLA -- and it is very, very much smaller than his old place. He still has some used gear, still sells Leica, and apparently still repairs equipment though Dick and brother (whom I haven't seen for a while) work out of sight of the public now. I mentioned to Dick that he had a lot less stuff on the sales floor (no paper or developers, etc.) and his reply rather indicated that they'd gotten rid of most of it (though some may be "in the back").

I'm glad they're still there, as I've been shopping there for over twenty years, but the store clearly reflects how photography equipment is presently valued and sold.

Shooter
    Large Format
    C&A Marketing Acquires Calumet Photographic at Bankruptcy Auction

http://camarketing.com/ca-marketing-...-photographic/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's really very interesting. Thanks for the link...

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm still wondering what happened to all the poor guys who had cameras sent in for CLA or repair, did they ever get them back?
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

f/64 and be there.

Shooter
    35mm
    Maybe it's coming back. See http://www.businesswire.com/news/njc...40507006414/en C&A Marketing Will Reopen Calumet Photographic’s Oak Brook Location Sunday May 11

Try http://bit.ly/1fQgVjA
    Last edited by Prof_Pixel; 05-07-2014 at 04:39 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Prof_Pixel, that is great to hear. It would be interesting though to see what C&A would do to the brand itself, I would be curious to see how they would use it to their advantage. I think this is a good move for C&A though.

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 59101112131415

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin