Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,200   Posts: 1,531,491   Online: 944

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Very strange. I got a normal advertising e-mail from them on March 12, including dates on upcoming events, but all the links seem dead today.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    April 1 isn't for a few more weeks.

If true, this is sad... very sad.

Shooter
    Large Format
    After reading this thread, I found this on the net:
    http://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Cal...ws-E262122.htm
    with recent comments from very disgruntled Calumet employees.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Certainly some very sad news for all who purchased there over the many years, but more so for the employees left without a job now....

Shooter
    35mm
    That sounds disappointing. I've bought a few items from the UK branch in the last year or two (nothing much, but I haven't needed any big items) and found them efficient. They have sent me a periodic glossy brochure/catalogue by mail, and this gave me the impression that they supply a lot of very nice and expensive professional gear in the UK ?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Chicago Tribune: “Calumet Photographic abruptly shuts down, files Chapter 7.”

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...0,868130.story

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's Calumet USA that is disappearing. European stores are still remaining in business.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I once bought quite a bit from them. But since they opted to drop almost all of their traditional film and darkroom stuff quite awhile ago, I rarely
    had reason to buy from them. They bet on only one horse.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    When a business shuts down like that, it generally means they ran out of money to lose.

Reading between the lines on that glassdoor.com page, it seems like these guys have been broke for a long time, are probably way over-extended with every supplier they have, and their bank finally cut them off. Its hard on the employees to shut down like that, but (pure speculation here) my guess is there literally isn't any money to pay them with anyway.

Sad stuff.

The other group of people who often get burned in a situation like this are suppliers who did get paid any time in the last 90 days. The courts can go back and demand that those payments be returned so that the money can be distributed evenly over all suppliers. The idea is it prevents the owner from making sure his brother-in-law gets paid, at the expense of some other supplier. That happened to me a few years ago, and as a small business, it really sucks. You think everything is fine, and all of the sudden you get a notice from the court that that $3000 payment you received two months ago has to be returned, and you will probably (if you are lucky) only see 5% of it when its all said and done.
    I shoot digital when I have to (most of those shots end up here) and film (occasionally one of those shots ends up here) when I want to.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
    I once bought quite a bit from them. But since they opted to drop almost all of their traditional film and darkroom stuff quite awhile ago, I rarely had reason to buy from them. They bet on only one horse.
    Same here. Have not been there in years.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin