Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,880   Posts: 1,520,451   Online: 960

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: new kodak ceo.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pbromaghin View Post
    Ken, I think it's because Kodak is no longer what we were talking about. That place has been taken by Kodak Alaris. And there really isn't much coming out of them for us to talk about.
    Kodak Alaris has to generate millions and millions of dollars to pay their pensioners. Surely they will keep the film rolling no?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Only so long as it makes money for the fund

Shooter
    35mm
    Whether Kodak is going to survive doesn't matter to me now. Perez managed to turned my 1000 shares of Kodak stock into nothing and now if it survives I won't get my money back and it won't make my film. So it really doesn't matter to me any more.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sadly, the new Kodak is pretty much just an emotional reminder of the past.

The signs say Kodak, many of the buildings are the same. It is almost like meeting someone who could almost be a twin of a departed loved one.

So much is so familiar. But when you look close, they are still gone.

My favorite impossible revenge fantasy is that Alaris grows to the point that it buys and takes over the rest of the company. Ushering in a new age of my favorite romanticized and idealized memories of what never really was. :sad:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I was at SPE in Baltimore with a booth right beside Kodak Alaris.

Most bizarre situation that I still cannot figure out, all the guy did was collect business cards by giving out a roll or two of film, His booth was swamped with students lining up for a free roll of film. Ok this makes kind of sense, collect names for future marketing??? not what I think is the best way to spend marketing money.

I could not engage the rep in conversation as he was too busy handing out film and by the end of two days was not interested in talking to him as
    he obviously was not there talking Kodak products other than the free film give away.
    I did not get the sense that anything was coming down the pipeline in terms of Kodak products , other than they have a bucket full of film to get rid of.

He would start his spiel by WHO SHOOTS FILM then make them stand like lemmings to get a free roll, this was very strange marketing and promotion , as
    there was no information other than a chance to get a roll of film.

I heard from other vendors that this is going on at all photoevents and this guy is there handing our single rolls, of colour , black and white in different sizes.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie View Post
    I was at SPE in Baltimore with a booth right beside Kodak Alaris.

Most bizarre situation that I still cannot figure out, all the guy did was collect business cards by giving out a roll or two of film, His booth was swamped with students lining up for a free roll of film. Ok this makes kind of sense, collect names for future marketing??? not what I think is the best way to spend marketing money.

I could not engage the rep in conversation as he was too busy handing out film and by the end of two days was not interested in talking to him as
    he obviously was not there talking Kodak products other than the free film give away.
    I did not get the sense that anything was coming down the pipeline in terms of Kodak products , other than they have a bucket full of film to get rid of.

He would start his spiel by WHO SHOOTS FILM then make them stand like lemmings to get a free roll, this was very strange marketing and promotion , as
    there was no information other than a chance to get a roll of film.

I heard from other vendors that this is going on at all photoevents and this guy is there handing our single rolls, of colour , black and white in different sizes.
    Rational if they have made too much, Fuji have been dumping C41 since spring 13.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In my opinion, the only future contribution Kodak will make is when their film supplies are finally depleted. At that time (or near) film prices will sky rocket and the film world will reveal itself for what it finally will be. Outside of closing production runs and factories, I don't think there has been any attempt to actually scale down their manufacturing process. If they could actually learn (doubtful) , they should bring ilford in for advice.
    Get it right in the camera, the first time...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    Kodak Alaris has to generate millions and millions of dollars to pay their pensioners. Surely they will keep the film rolling no?
    It would seem that Kodak Alaris doesn't control that. Eastman Kodak does. KA is completely dependent on EK for their remaining supply of Kodak film. And when the current EK contract for large volume MP runs out and it's time to sell or dismantle the manufacturing infrastructure, will KA be interested in buying and operating it? Even if they could afford it? And the potential risk to their pensioners by doing so didn't prevent it?

Or will it just be less risky and more market appropriate at that time to send out a press release stating that, while they would love to continue selling Kodak film, sadly and for reasons beyond their control their supplier has stopped making it. And in a good faith effort to help out their remaining film customers, they will continue by offering replacement black-and-white films from Adox and Harman/llford, and color from Film Ferrania. Just like everyone else.

As alluded to in earlier posts, EK is no longer a film—or even a photography—business. The new CEO mentioned in his interview that the Kodak board has primarily tasked him with growing their new business. He isn't going to do that by sitting down at his first staff meeting and saying "Let's introduce more film products into that declining market space." They no longer market and sell film to consumers. They're a business-to-business packaging printing company now. One that has only a final large legacy film order to service.

Ken
    "Hate is an adolescent term used to stop discussion with people you disagree with. You can do better than that."
    —'blanksy', December 13, 2013

Shooter
    35mm
    If they're out of the photography business, maybe Kodak could try a sure money maker like say various paper products, since rolled products were their claim to fame. They can even keep the names, such as:

T-Max Triple Strength Super Strong and Absorbent paper towels, 100 and 400 sheet rolls
    Super-XX economy paper towels
    Royal-X triple ply extra soft bathroom tissue, also available in extra large sheets
    Tri-X mega roll 2 ply plush bathroom tissue
    Plus-X economy version of previous
    Panatomic-X lint free single ply bath tissue in huge roll for commercial use
    Verichrome bath tissue and towels in colors to match your home decor, can also use the "Elite" designation
    Pro-Pack case quantities of any of the above for hotels, schools, prisons, etc.
    Double-Two handy travel sized packs
    Autographic custom products for large volume users

Etc.
    All in the classic yellow pack.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It took Kodak over a century of sustained effort and world-class photographic excellence to reach a point where the common public perception was,

"Kodak = The Finest in Photographic Film"

and it will probably take at least that long to undo that perception and replace it with,

"Kodak = Cheap Blister-Pack Cardboard Hanging Packages"

or whatever it is they are doing now. That new CEO does indeed have his work cut out for him.

Ken
    "Hate is an adolescent term used to stop discussion with people you disagree with. You can do better than that."
    —'blanksy', December 13, 2013

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin