Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,296   Posts: 1,535,712   Online: 906
      
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 66
  1. #11

    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    The highest state
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,912
    Nuff, I really do try to not be on here so much, get out and make things happen, I have got people in my area using film too, but many want a place to develop and print it so I am trying to find a space to do that in a community sense, not easy in a town with an average home price of 6 million.

    For the past few days I have been working on pulling images for my biggest client for a 10 year retrospective, once I am done, I log out and bail. I do post images here on occasion because you need to pay the membership to even see the gallery which I like, but try to limit even that, just not a fan of having my work ripped, lol!

    I guess I scratch my head at the notion of you not using film without seeing work on places like Flickr. Even though I see nice work there, I still find I am most inspired by all the great published work and work in galleries the most which still far eclipses most of what is shown on the mainstream internet.

    If I am feeling uninspired which is maybe once every five years, all I need to do is pickup Salgado's Workers or Migrations, Michael Kenna's 20 year retrospective or Geir Jordahl's mesmerizing book Searching for True North.
    Last edited by PKM-25; 03-18-2014 at 08:05 PM. Click to view previous post history.

  2. #12
    Sirius Glass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Southern California
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    13,093
    If you are motivated enough to join the effort, great. However, I do not think the effort will make any statistically significant difference.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

    Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

    I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

  3. #13

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Shanghai, China
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,912
    Images
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuff View Post
    PKM, I know where you are coming off, good luck with your case.

    I just find this place hilarious, since if there's any speculation about film being discontinued or company going under, you can bet there will be hundreds of replies and people wanting blood etc... But if they actually spend some of that free time productively,instead of wasting it on useless arguments. There's a chance that something might happen.

    But it seems from bejinoy's opinion great things have only been achieved by doing nothing and arguing on Internet forums.

    Anyway, in my circle of friends, since I discovered film there's a 200% increase in film use. I'm working on more. All I know is, if someone didn't post up their photos to internet, me or ratty wouldn't start using film. Nor my friends...
    Exactly right. I was happily shooting digital for a *decade* when I stumbled onto the FM thread that I posted about where film users were posting their work. There I saw images that were very intriguing. I could not get them out of my mind. I continued to shoot digital, but always returned to that thread, viewing the work that kept getting posted there. The more I viewed, the more I wanted to be a part of it. Finally, I took the plunge.

    I would NEVER have returned to film without seeing regular people posting images showing me what film could do. These people were exposing the value of film DEEP in digital territory. That does NOT happen here at APUG. We are behind friendly lines here.

    That thread at FM is responsible for me buying at least 300 rolls of film in the past 2 years. I try to shoot 5 or more rolls per weekend if the weather is good. I did 5 last weekend.

    That thread at FM is responsible for me finding APUG. Without it, I never would have searched out for more information.

    But I understand. Posting images takes effort. It doesnt happen by itself.

    I tried.

  4. #14

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Shanghai, China
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,912
    Images
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    No, but anything positive we can all do instead of constantly urinating in the drinking pond is a good thing in the long run. I know it must disappoint you but Ilford will be making silver gel paper and black and white film years from now because there is solid if not steadily increasing demand for it, ask Simon about that.

    As for posting photos on photo enthusiast forums, I have to take a pass for the most part, not the greatest idea if I want to continue to make a great living at it. I am currently in a court battle with a pop artist who somehow got ahold of an aerial image that is under a 3 year exclusive contract. He used it prominently in a 50" x 50" inch piece and sold it for 14K, client not happy and neither am I.

    Sorry Ratty, I can't be your guy but I sure as heck promote film use by showing my little portfolios of hand made prints to people in person, that works too...
    Dan,

    I'm in no position to dictate what a working pro does with his images. You and all the others are a special case. You might post some throw away shots. Or, partake in the thread as a commentator. My point was to make that thread THE most active thread in the alternative FM forum. Generate traffic, keep it visible, bring in new people.

    It can work if done right.

    Good luck with your case to claim your rights to your own work!

  5. #15

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Shanghai, China
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,912
    Images
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    If you are motivated enough to join the effort, great. However, I do not think the effort will make any statistically significant difference.
    Nothing I do in my life will make any statistical difference with anything.

    So I should not do anything, right?

  6. #16

    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    The highest state
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,912
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    You might post some throw away shots. Or, partake in the thread as a commentator.
    There is no such thing as a throw away shot and if I want to represent my self well, I would never do that. And the commentator thing, I just can't man, really. I find the single most invasive thing to making great photographs is spending too much time on the internet. I only participate on this site and LFF and that is way, waaaay too much time as it is.

    I try to add some input on here, look for good deals on stuff I need and that is really about all I can do. The most successful photographers I know spend *zero* time on forums, they only read them once and awhile to get a pulse or to look for some tech tip.

  7. #17

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Shanghai, China
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,912
    Images
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    There is no such thing as a throw away shot and if I want to represent my self well, I would never do that. And the commentator thing, I just can't man, really. I find the single most invasive thing to making great photographs is spending too much time on the internet. I only participate on this site and LFF and that is way, waaaay too much time as it is.

    I try to add some input on here, look for good deals on stuff I need and that is really about all I can do. The most successful photographers I know spend *zero* time on forums, they only read them once and awhile to get a pulse or to look for some tech tip.
    There's no firm rule you have to represent yourself if you decided to advocate for film in that thread. You could post under an anonymous name.

    But if you dont want to be on the internet, well then that's a whole 'nother story and one I can' disagree with.

  8. #18

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    408
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    Nothing I do in my life will make any statistical difference with anything.

    So I should not do anything, right?
    And with attitude like that nothing will ever change. If people of the past thought like that, we still would be seating in caves.
    I'm sure you are aware of that if you influence 10 people with an idea and they influence 10 others. That's already 100 people right there.

    I'm just glad that people of the past didn't think that way. Otherwise I would be seating in a cave never knowing what fire is...

  9. #19

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    408
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    I guess I scratch my head at the notion of you not using film without seeing work on places like Flickr. Even though I see nice work there, I still find I am most inspired by all the great published work and work in galleries the most which still far eclipses most of what is shown on the mainstream internet.

    If I am feeling uninspired which is maybe once every five years, all I need to do is pickup Salgado's Workers or Migrations, Michael Kenna's 20 year retrospective or Geir Jordahl's mesmerizing book Searching for True North.
    I know what you mean by feeling inspired. A lot of the works here in the apug galleries don't inspire me, but some do. Same with flickr. Same with 1x.com etc...

    I usually follow the big photographers and really enjoy their work. In galleries it's the same, some of the work is hit and other is a miss. I actually use another website to catalogue all of the photographs that I find inspiring, it's my 2nd biggest time waster outside of taking photos. Be it Salgado's, Nick Brandt, Daido Moriyama, Bill Brandt, Irving Penn, Philippe Halsman, etc... I could throw names all day.

    I believe that my photos are really bad. But that's what keeps me moving forward. Still, even tough I don't find my own work inspiring, I think I still have few nice photos that I quite enjoy. I think others might find some enjoyment or even inspiration in them too...

  10. #20

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Shanghai, China
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,912
    Images
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuff View Post
    And with attitude like that nothing will ever change. If people of the past thought like that, we still would be seating in caves.
    I'm sure you are aware of that if you influence 10 people with an idea and they influence 10 others. That's already 100 people right there.

    I'm just glad that people of the past didn't think that way. Otherwise I would be seating in a cave never knowing what fire is...
    I was using sarcasm to respond to another post.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin