Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,688   Posts: 1,548,713   Online: 1264

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    I was using sarcasm to respond to another post.
    I'm aware of that, it was more expending on your sarcasm and following up to Sirius Glass...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuff View Post
    I'm aware of that, it was more expending on your sarcasm and following up to Sirius Glass...
    Well, it would have had more impact directed towards the person showing the inability to think outside his own sphere.

Oh well, I tried here. The defeatist mentality is overpowering.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Oh well, I tried here. The defeatist mentality is overpowering.
    I agree with you, but there's a wealth of knowledge around here. It is all technical and I started to get interested more in the art side of photography, maybe that's the main reason that I don't post here much. Every forum has it's purpose.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The defeatist mentality is overpowering.
    I hear you, and you have my support Ratty...

You have not had many people post, it is how this place works, there is a really bad vibe here at times, people would rather blast Kodak than promote film.

Both Thomas and I said we show prints and I know for a fact it gets people fired up, perhaps more so than looking at them on the web because they are looking at the finished product. I used to have a heck of a gallery on Photo.net. Then I went through nothing less than 12 copyright infringements in a 2 year span, no bueno mang, nooooo...

Don't give up so soon...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ratty, I posted few of my photos from my last years trip to Nepal up there. It was my first digital free holiday since 2003. I'm not sure if I will continue posting there, I really don't like the interface But for now I will see how it works out. I do prefer posting photos, since that's what photography is for me all about etc, not talking about the endless technical thingies magicas. Deep down inside they are all soulless black boxes with lenses.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hmm... Just be careful you guys don't end up standing alone together in the echo chamber. Everyone knows where that leads.

Just because some may choose different approaches than you might like doesn't mean that you are the only ones keeping film in the public eye. Unless, of course, you believe that your way is the only way.

It's a much bigger world out there than one might be inclined to believe you guys think, based on a reading of this thread.

For example, most here are not professional photographers. Many are highly intelligent and accomplished individuals who are professionals working in far more challenging fields. For them photography is a big step down the difficulty scale into a more relaxed avocation. One that provides a welcome respite from their high-pressure high-degree-of-difficulty day jobs.

Best not to taunt these people for not also practicing photography professionally on their weekends. Or accuse them of doing nothing to promote the use of film to the public by not posting to your favorite outside forum threads. One can't presume to know what they do to this end on their own time, rather than posting replies here.

I'm not a professional photographer. And I don't intend to post in that recommended thread. But I've organized and taught groups of junior high school kids how to make pinhole cameras from paint cans. And how to develop and contact print their paper negatives in a real (temporary faculty bathroom) darkroom at their school. And had at least one young lady choose later in high school to continue taking film-based photography classes because of it.

Here's a surviving link to two such sessions back in 2005. There are student photographs (round from the bottom of the paint cans), a tech section for parents to read, and some exposure charts. I even built a custom paint can tripod mount for them to use. The kids had a blast making the cameras and the photos. Kirsten is the young lady who continued on in high school.

I think this kind of activity qualifies under the definition of keeping film in the public eye. And like the majority here on APUG, my day job has nothing to do with photography.

Just some food for thought. And perhaps a bit of perspective.

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuff View Post
    Ratty, I posted few of my photos from my last years trip to Nepal up there. It was my first digital free holiday since 2003. I'm not sure if I will continue posting there, I really don't like the interface But for now I will see how it works out. I do prefer posting photos, since that's what photography is for me all about etc, not talking about the endless technical thingies magicas. Deep down inside they are all soulless black boxes with lenses.
    The FM interface is dirt simple. What's not to like?

Now then, your images are BEAUTIFUL! Exactly what people need to be seeing! I am serious, that is just wonderful photography. I can see already one has responded to your post. Next time (and there WILL be a next time ) Just post a few, then trickle them out over the next few days. My hope is to keep that thread nailed to the top of the forum there. Already it is the 4th most active thread in the Alt. forum.

Your work with Portra is inspiring. For whatever reason I have NEVER liked my own photography when I tried Portra, but I just LOVE other people's work with it. Very bizarre.

THANK YOU for your post over at FM! I mean it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    Many are highly intelligent and accomplished individuals who are professionals working in far more challenging fields. For them photography is a big step down the difficulty scale into a more relaxed avocation.
    Yeah, I guess it is easier to just clock out, come home and take snapshots. But to be at the top of your game, earn 6+ figures and fend off competition or worse, freetography, you had better believe it takes FAR more talent than is regularly displayed on sites like these Ken.

I get it man, you want me and my Kodak defending ass out of here so I am f_cking DONE here Ken, congratulations! I am deleting my gallery and signing out for good, you all have Ken to thank.
    Last edited by PKM-25; 03-19-2014 at 01:24 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Taunting is easy. Perspective can be a harder destination to arrive at...

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ken, I just don't like the doom and gloom people etc... people who just talk and do nothing. That is all. As they say, talk is cheap.

You on the other hand have you own approach, I'm not forcing, taunting or twisting anyones hands.

PKM, I wouldn't take anything personally said on internet unless I know the people in person, sometimes it's best to ignore and move on. I use internet in search of more sharing more knowledge. This place here is good for that.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin