Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,726   Posts: 1,670,156   Online: 815
      
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 64
  1. #41
    Thomas Bertilsson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Minnesota
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    14,812
    Images
    300
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    Both Thomas and I said we show prints and I know for a fact it gets people fired up, perhaps more so than looking at them on the web because they are looking at the finished product.
    I did just that last Saturday to a novice photographer and someone new to film photography. I showed my prints, and prints I had acquired from others to show different styles, and he is very keen on getting going. The very same day he went to the darkroom at the Minneapolis Photo Center to make contact prints of two sleeves full of negatives. In fact, I dropped him off there, and then I had five texts asking follow-up questions.

    I'm almost a little bit shocked by the amount of enthusiasm he is showing. Very rewarding to share like this for me too, to have such an impact on somebody else, positive impact.
    I am certain he will show darkroom photography in a good light to others, simply by sharing his prints, and to participate in the community.

    APUG can be a little too technical sometimes, but I also think that is because things you can measure are easier to discuss than things you can't measure. The artistic side of photography is much more difficult to discuss, but is probably also what is the key motivating force behind the greatest and most successful photographers. Here we tend to obsess way too much about technical aspects of photography, and hardly ever get into the actual art.
    Those who are more artistically inclined, and who care much less about the technical side of it, probably get disillusioned with APUG pretty fast.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

    "Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

    "...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

  2. #42

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Castle Rock, CO, USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,719
    Images
    85
    I hate to see Dan go, he really knows his stuff. But he's right to stop using his time on anything that interferes with his life goals. I wish he hadn't had the temper tantrum and deleted all his stuff. It was really good.
    “You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt

  3. #43

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    932
    I post to FM, I have probably 2000+ posts there. The alt forum is a good place. Mostly focused on small format but still, worth a visit. I've posted in that film thread. The only reason I haven't posted more there is I am too lazy to scan, and any digital representation is a pale imitation of the actual print, so it's almost not worth it anyway...

  4. #44
    RattyMouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Shanghai, China
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,577
    Images
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by EdSawyer View Post
    I post to FM, I have probably 2000+ posts there. The alt forum is a good place. Mostly focused on small format but still, worth a visit. I've posted in that film thread. The only reason I haven't posted more there is I am too lazy to scan, and any digital representation is a pale imitation of the actual print, so it's almost not worth it anyway...
    I've seen you over there at FM! And it IS worth it, unless you think converting folks like over to film, (as my exposure to film via FM did) isnt worth it.

  5. #45

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Daventry, Northamptonshire, England
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    7,599
    In terms of the 45,000 APUGers here a very small percentage have contributed to this thread. With respect to Dan who has forsaken APUG he seems to have left us based on the adverse effect a tiny percentage of the APUG membership have had on him.

    What he has removed, including himself, may have had the effect of damaging the very attraction of film to others as it has starved them of his contribution.

    Not what he'd have wanted, I suspect

    pentaxuser

  6. #46

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    US
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    2,060
    It's a shame when a potential tidbit of knowledge for future search-engine googlers is lost when someone moves on. As for me I hope I've caused some photographic jewels of credible knowledge to show up fro time to time. Just as my way of paying back for what Ive managed to learn. I'm sure I'll move on too at some point when I have gleaned and winnowed as many tidbits as theyre currently are. There comes a time when you've eaten up all the food, and just lay off and let it accumulate back up. Not sure what I've contributed qualitywise was the best out there at all, but I can hope so.

  7. #47
    analoguey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Bangalore, India
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,010
    Images
    2
    As someone who went from full digital to 50-50, I have to say it's stupid that people argue the internet wont convert people.
    The internet is a means of education, interaction -why wouldnt it convert? I saw the link RattyMouse directed to and the pics of Nepal - 'nuff's? Are wonderful advertisements of analog colour photography.
    Why wouldnt that excite anyone who loves colour? That might even convert a few to film usage.
    I am a convert to film after reading about it and seeing the results on the internet. Sure, dont put up stuff on the net or whatever, but the reasoning that only prints will work - well, if I'm a million miles away from good printers and film prints, how are those prints which are millions of times better than digital representation going to convert me? They aren't. The internet cuts that gap -and thank God forthose people who have put up photos online. If it weren'tfor them, I would've been continually sucked into the digital upgrade every year cycle.

    (art galleries only worked for me in the film promotion department AFTER I started using film, not before. Who knew what a transparency or 6x6 or 4x5 was?!

    Sent from Tap-a-talk

  8. #48

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Tokyo, Japan
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    533
    Quote Originally Posted by analoguey View Post
    As someone who went from full digital to 50-50, I have to say it's stupid that people argue the internet wont convert people.
    The internet is a means of education, interaction -why wouldnt it convert? I saw the link RattyMouse directed to and the pics of Nepal - 'nuff's? Are wonderful advertisements of analog colour photography.
    Why wouldnt that excite anyone who loves colour? That might even convert a few to film usage.
    I am a convert to film after reading about it and seeing the results on the internet. Sure, dont put up stuff on the net or whatever, but the reasoning that only prints will work - well, if I'm a million miles away from good printers and film prints, how are those prints which are millions of times better than digital representation going to convert me? They aren't. The internet cuts that gap -and thank God forthose people who have put up photos online. If it weren'tfor them, I would've been continually sucked into the digital upgrade every year cycle.

    (art galleries only worked for me in the film promotion department AFTER I started using film, not before. Who knew what a transparency or 6x6 or 4x5 was?!

    Sent from Tap-a-talk
    Thanks, and yes they are my photos, someone was using my nick, so I had to choose a different one. It was from my first analogue holiday.

    And what you say I couldn't agree more. How are people supposed to see the million times better prints which are hidden in someone's closet. They will not. People don't stalk stranger's closets any more. They use internet.

    And I can imagine being in an emerging market like India there's no film there. There was none in Nepal! Thankfully I brought a whole lot of me. This is photo of only half of the film I took with me. I had another bag with more BW 120, 35mm and and instax film for the locals.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails photo (3).JPG  

  9. #49
    RattyMouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Shanghai, China
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,577
    Images
    81
    Damn, that's a lot of film!

  10. #50
    analoguey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Bangalore, India
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,010
    Images
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuff View Post
    Thanks, and yes they are my photos, someone was using my nick, so I had to choose a different one. It was from my first analogue holiday.

    You're welcome, they are beautiful ones. I was under the impression they were older images, didn't realise they were current until RM posted here.




    Quote Originally Posted by Nuff View Post
    They will not. People don't stalk stranger's closets any more. They use internet.
    Indeed. I got asked to email Polaroid images recently -when I handed over the print!

    Quote Originally Posted by Nuff View Post
    I can imagine being in an emerging market like India there's no film there. There was none in Nepal! Thankfully I brought a whole lot of me. This is photo of only half of the film I took with me. I had another bag with more BW 120, 35mm and and instax film for the locals.
    Haha, yes. India we jumped a couple of hoops technology wise in some sectors. Cameras and landline phones being very prominent -neither were too prominent before , now digital SLRs/cameras and mobile phones everywhere. (of course difficult for a film user like me, but photography is accessible to a much wider audience now)

    Did you insure that stack of film? Looks like at least 150 rolls in one bag?

    Sent from Tap-a-talk

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin