Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,708   Posts: 1,548,551   Online: 1174

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Damn, that's a lot of film!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuff View Post
    Thanks, and yes they are my photos, someone was using my nick, so I had to choose a different one. It was from my first analogue holiday.

You're welcome, they are beautiful ones. I was under the impression they were older images, didn't realise they were current until RM posted here.

They will not. People don't stalk stranger's closets any more. They use internet.
    Indeed. I got asked to email Polaroid images recently -when I handed over the print!

I can imagine being in an emerging market like India there's no film there. There was none in Nepal! Thankfully I brought a whole lot of me. This is photo of only half of the film I took with me. I had another bag with more BW 120, 35mm and and instax film for the locals.
    Haha, yes. India we jumped a couple of hoops technology wise in some sectors. Cameras and landline phones being very prominent -neither were too prominent before , now digital SLRs/cameras and mobile phones everywhere. (of course difficult for a film user like me, but photography is accessible to a much wider audience now)

Did you insure that stack of film? Looks like at least 150 rolls in one bag?

Sent from Tap-a-talk

Geelong & Castlemaine, Victoria, Australia
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Really, I do NOT think it is a good idea to join up with yet another online forum about film. To what purpose? The critically important thing is to concentrate your efforts away from the keyboard by actually photographing, whether it be with film or digital — I don't damn well care. Online forums are time wasters. How many of you have actually sold photographic work(s) in the last week!? A lot of film shown on a forum does not to me equate to a lot of photography: how much of it is actually printed, framed and sold?

I will leave Fred Miranda to his jabbering keyboard jockeys. I have photography to do. And plenty of it.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    :-)
    Thank you for that reminder.
    Back to the camera then.

Sent from Tap-a-talk

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    Really, I do NOT think it is a good idea to join up with yet another online forum about film. To what purpose? The critically important thing is to concentrate your efforts away from the keyboard by actually photographing, whether it be with film or digital — I don't damn well care. Online forums are time wasters. How many of you have actually sold photographic work(s) in the last week!? A lot of film shown on a forum does not to me equate to a lot of photography: how much of it is actually printed, framed and sold?

I will leave Fred Miranda to his jabbering keyboard jockeys. I have photography to do. And plenty of it.
    Well... you do have enough posts here to prove your point

How I spend most of my time is learning about photography. That's by studying art, photos, the non-technical side of it etc... I also do take photos, but I'm not going to until the next 2 nights...

Selling photos? I don't, I have a day job which pays for it. Getty asked me for some of mine, but I'm not interested.

Forums are a side thing and time waster. It's especially handy one on a bus/train since my commute is 1.5 hours long.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    There is always more that unites us than divides us....

Be passionate, never prejudiced.

Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Really, I do NOT think it is a good idea to join up with yet another online forum about film.
    FredMiranda.com is not a film forum. It's 99% digital. There just happens to be a small bunch of film users there who maintain a presence.

To what purpose?
    I explained quite clearly in my original post what the purpose was. Did you miss that or just not read the first post?

The critically important thing is to concentrate your efforts away from the keyboard by actually photographing, whether it be with film or digital — I don't damn well care. Online forums are time wasters. How many of you have actually sold photographic work(s) in the last week!? A lot of film shown on a forum does not to me equate to a lot of photography: how much of it is actually printed, framed and sold?

Funny, you seem to be here writing this post. To show someone film at FM, here is what it takes.

1. Go to the alt. forum at FM.
    2. Click New Topic.
    3. Type the name of the film and camera. (Optional)
    4. Paste link of image.
    5. Hit post.

Takes about 10 seconds.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    ...I am...DONE here...I am deleting my gallery and signing out for good...
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    ...good night and good light.
    This leads to two questions:
    1. Will Dan be back, yet again?
    2. How many of Dan's "grand exit" posts will Sean allow? I'll not bother searching the archive to find his earlier ones, but they are manifold.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For the record...

Dan and I have been in contact outside of APUG after this thread wound down. Everything is fine between us. He's a very focused individual who takes what he does very seriously. As are we all in each of our respective professional fields.

Because of this it turned out not to be my "taunting" characterization that bothered him so much as the implication that professional photography was somehow not the degree-of-difficulty equal of some other professions. While I still believe that characterization to be true, I do understand the nature of the offense taken.

I am also quick to point out that I recognize what I do for a living has no corner on the difficulty market either. It too is also easily eclipsed by many other more difficult fields populated by those who are much smarter than I. Such is the nature of random distributions. There can be only one most-difficult and one least-difficult. All the rest of us are lumped somewhere in between.

At least in my ideal world, everyone here would feel free to argue their contrasting points of view strongly. Challenge each other's assertions. Give logic and evidence to support their own. Go at it tooth-and-nail as an academic exercise.

But at the end of the day still respect each other and each other's differing opinions strongly enough to shake hands and walk away when it's over without any residual hard feelings or anger. In such an ideal world Ignore lists would never be required.

This is where Dan and I currently are.

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sometimes I think Dan looks like APUG as something like a dinner with extended family.

You want to attend, and get really frustrated when you do .

All of us have different opinions about how best to help film. Some of those opinions overlap. And some involve criticizing how others are handling things.

To my mind, the biggest thing that Kodak Alaris could do to help Kodak film (and chemicals, and colour paper) is to fix the distribution system, so people could be sure about finding product on the shelves of stores and websites of internet retailers when we go to look for it.

That includes re-establishing the dealer support resources that dealers and end-users need.

And that is really time consuming, backroom work, not easy to promote to the end-user customer.

Once there is improvement there, it makes sense to promote to the end-user customer.

I think there are some signs of this happening. I was in Lens & Shutter's main Vancouver store yesterday. They had newly packaged (in Germany) Kodak T-Max developer, as well as good stock of other, new Kodak darkroom chemicals. As I understand it, the retailers around here have been having problems obtaining inventory of Kodak darkroom chemicals. I hope this is a sign of a positive change.

I didn't think to ask about film.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin