Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,809   Posts: 1,581,533   Online: 938

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Keeping Film in the Public Eye

I had a thought that I'd share with the APUG'ers here. The idea is to do more to keep film in the public eye. There might be some here who have never heard of Fredmiranda.com, but perhaps most have. I'm an active poster there and have been for some time. There's a forum there titled Alternative Gear & Lenses. This is a hangout for non Canon/Nikon people. It's mostly a mirrorless crowd but lots of people there also shoot alternative lenses on their Canon gear.

There's one thread in there titled Post your recent film shots. You can find it here:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/top...94#lastmessage

THIS thread is the #1 reason how I rediscovered film. I was an active member of that forum and kept on following the film thread.

The film thread is the 3rd or 4th most active thread in the alternative forum, yet it is still not as vibrant and active as it could be.

I post in there a lot. I try to put up an image once a day or so. If people from this forum put up an image in that thread, it would be nailed to the top of that forum.

I discovered film through that forum. I kept on being intrigued by the images posted there and kept on coming back. We need to keep that thread nailed to the top of that forum. Certain threads at FredMiranda become legendary through their longevity. Film shooters could contribute to that thread, and get more exposure amongst the digital people. I shot digital for 10 years uninterrupted until discovering film in that thread. My next step was to find APUG.

Think about it................

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I might consider joining, even if I don't own a single canon or nikon. I'm always looking for places to spam with my photos.

And yes, the best way to convert people to using film is to show them what film can do out in the open. Not some place under the rock and then scream at them when the word scan... is mentioned.

I picked up film 1 year ago by looking at enough very pleasant looking film photos. Not to mention revisiting my old photos. After 9 years of shooting of digital. If you show compelling photos, enough people will come and more people might use film. It might not save paper etc, but at least it might prevent more lines of film from being consolidated.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuff View Post
    I might consider joining, even if I don't own a single canon or nikon. I'm always looking for places to spam with my photos.

And yes, the best way to convert people to using film is to show them what film can do out in the open. Not some place under the rock and then scream at them when the word scan... is mentioned.

I picked up film 1 year ago by looking at enough very pleasant looking film photos. Not to mention revisiting my old photos. After 9 years of shooting of digital. If you show compelling photos, enough people will come and more people might use film. It might not save paper etc, but at least it might prevent more lines of film from being consolidated.
    You don't need a Nikon or Canon to join Fred Miranda. The Alternative Gear forum is for EVERYONE *BUT* CaNikon folks. Film shooters are most welcome there.

Just post film photos in the film thread. Keep film visible where folks can't help but see it!

While at Fred Miranda, go to the Nikon forum and see the Manual Focus Nikon Glass thread. Have a look here: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/board/7

The manual focus lens thread is 3,666 pages long!! And it's only a few years old!

This thread is so active, that it is almost ALWAYS in the top 5 spots in the forum, EVERY day. That's a lot of posts. As a result, everyone knows about the manual focus Nikon fans. They are always up top. My vision is to have the film shooters do the same in the Alternative Gear forum. We *are* alternative in today's world and PROUD of it. We need to get the word out. Posting in APUG is preaching to the choir.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    114 views, 1 reply. NOT encouraging.

Shooter
    35mm
    I must be missing something. Posting on one obscure Internet site is going to save the world? Number 94, the last one, when there are over 300...? So it is okay to discriminate against people who own a Canon or Nikon? Since when? Tell me how your folks are superior to their folks. I have classic images of Elvis and the Beatles and RFK just minutes before he was shot, all taken with a Nikon. Should I throw them in the trash?
    Some folks have diarrhea of the keyboard or camera, so does that make them superior human beings/artists/craftsmen/photographers? You discriminate against Canon but only lenses. Are people who use Canon lenses evil? You say this thread is the Pied Piper who will lead us to Nirvana. Is it okay if we give this thing pass?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by snapguy View Post
    I must be missing something. Posting on one obscure Internet site is going to save the world? Number 94, the last one, when there are over 300...? So it is okay to discriminate against people who own a Canon or Nikon? Since when? Tell me how your folks are superior to their folks. I have classic images of Elvis and the Beatles and RFK just minutes before he was shot, all taken with a Nikon. Should I throw them in the trash?
    Some folks have diarrhea of the keyboard or camera, so does that make them superior human beings/artists/craftsmen/photographers? You discriminate against Canon but only lenses. Are people who use Canon lenses evil? You say this thread is the Pied Piper who will lead us to Nirvana. Is it okay if we give this thing pass?
    Bit out of context and totally missed the point of his post. Or like you handle you just snap at random things without reading a thing.

If you take a minute and read what was said. It's a canon and Nikon digital forum with subsections for other cameras and and a film thread.

So yes, to a swear your question, you are missing a lot. In this case the point of this thread.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For what it's worth, I try in my own little way to promote film and show my printed work, and also prints I have received from others, in a positive light.

I'm not really worried about film. I am worried about the fact that printing is becoming much more scarce.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Naive and childlike wishful thinking on websites isn't going in any way to slow down the decline in film use, in the real World you just have to accept the facts.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    Naive and childlike wishful thinking on websites isn't going in any way to slow down the decline in film use, in the real World you just have to accept the facts.
    No, but anything positive we can all do instead of constantly urinating in the drinking pond is a good thing in the long run. I know it must disappoint you but Ilford will be making silver gel paper and black and white film years from now because there is solid if not steadily increasing demand for it, ask Simon about that.

As for posting photos on photo enthusiast forums, I have to take a pass for the most part, not the greatest idea if I want to continue to make a great living at it. I am currently in a court battle with a pop artist who somehow got ahold of an aerial image that is under a 3 year exclusive contract. He used it prominently in a 50" x 50" inch piece and sold it for 14K, client not happy and neither am I.

Sorry Ratty, I can't be your guy but I sure as heck promote film use by showing my little portfolios of hand made prints to people in person, that works too...
    "I'm the freak that shoots film. God bless the freaks!" ~ Mainecoonmaniac ~

Shooter
    Multi Format
    PKM, I know where you are coming off, good luck with your case.

I just find this place hilarious, since if there's any speculation about film being discontinued or company going under, you can bet there will be hundreds of replies and people wanting blood etc... But if they actually spend some of that free time productively,instead of wasting it on useless arguments. There's a chance that something might happen.

But it seems from bejinoy's opinion great things have only been achieved by doing nothing and arguing on Internet forums.

Anyway, in my circle of friends, since I discovered film there's a 200% increase in film use. I'm working on more. All I know is, if someone didn't post up their photos to internet, me or ratty wouldn't start using film. Nor my friends...

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin