Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,636   Online: 690
      
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516 LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 152
  1. #91

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Castle Rock, CO, USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,374
    Images
    64
    In the 1980s I worked for Sperry Univac. Across the field there was a brand new chip manufacturing plant. The whole building floated on bags of air. Still, the freeways and the airport caused too much shake and not a single chip was ever made there. The air spaces were filled in with concrete and the building sold for office space.
    “You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt

  2. #92

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Shanghai, China
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,953
    Images
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    To properly "install" coating equipment the machines must be anchored to the ground in such way that passing traffic does not cause defects in the coatings. Also, the machines must be carefully aligned to prevent kinks. So, moving is not the problem. It is down time and alignment which up the expense of any move.

    If Ilford moves (and I did not mean to imply that in my post in any way) it will be very costly in terms of time and money. Most of you do not realize this. It is similar to a chip production area. Moves cause defects.

    PE
    Entire US factories have been dismantled and shipped to China. Factories with very expensive and sensitive equipment capable of machining parts to micron levels of tolerance. Once re-assembled, calibration is necessary but is easily done.

  3. #93
    StoneNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    7,335
    Images
    225
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Even better have Stone give us financial and tax advice and we will do the opposite. We will quickly become Millionaires!
    Haha
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

  4. #94
    lxdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Redlands, So. Calif.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    6,648
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    Entire US factories have been dismantled and shipped to China. Factories with very expensive and sensitive equipment capable of machining parts to micron levels of tolerance. Once re-assembled, calibration is necessary but is easily done.
    I disagree with the "easily" part of that statement. I've been involved in a couple of moves, and they were no picnic.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

  5. #95
    StoneNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    7,335
    Images
    225
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Here is a question for you gurus. What happens if film sales continue as-is or grow, but nevertheless the value of the property becomes greater than the value of the product being manufactured on the property? Now, with a long term lease you are safe, but eventually, things catch up with you.

    Yep, they catch up and you find that your plant is being sold for the ground it sits on. Then, a new condo arises there and your plant is no more.

    This, BTW, was a small but real factor in the demise of EFKE I have been told.

    PE
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    To properly "install" coating equipment the machines must be anchored to the ground in such way that passing traffic does not cause defects in the coatings. Also, the machines must be carefully aligned to prevent kinks. So, moving is not the problem. It is down time and alignment which up the expense of any move.

    If Ilford moves (and I did not mean to imply that in my post in any way) it will be very costly in terms of time and money. Most of you do not realize this. It is similar to a chip production area. Moves cause defects.

    PE
    This what I was talking about...
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

  6. #96

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    US
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    2,060
    If I wasn't struggling just to pay the mortgage, I'd buy the dadgum place

  7. #97

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Shanghai, China
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,953
    Images
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    I disagree with the "easily" part of that statement. I've been involved in a couple of moves, and they were no picnic.
    Easy in that it is a given that it can be done. Implementation is always a challenge but there is never any doubt that success is coming. I have never, ever heard of anyone giving up on a technology transfer.

  8. #98
    StoneNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    7,335
    Images
    225
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    If I wasn't struggling just to pay the mortgage, I'd buy the dadgum place
    You've got a few acres, sell a few!
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

  9. #99

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    US
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    2,060
    Maybe I'll sell the whole property to Dave Lyga. He could make the mortgage for less that the rent on an efficiency apartment in some place like Philadelphia. Hey Stone--you want 18 beautiful acres of hardwoods, pines, and sweetgums and a designer log cabin? You couldn't buy 3 blades of grass off somebody's property in Connecticut for what you could have the whole kit and kaboodle for here.
    I'll even throw in a genuine Merry Tiller and a DR Mower. And I'll let you have a 12 gauge New England Firearms single-shot for the varmints.
    I'll take the photo gear and the RC planes.
    Last edited by Tom1956; 03-26-2014 at 11:32 PM. Click to view previous post history.

  10. #100
    lxdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Redlands, So. Calif.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    6,648
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    Easy in that it is a given that it can be done. Implementation is always a challenge but there is never any doubt that success is coming. I have never, ever heard of anyone giving up on a technology transfer.
    Kodak gave up on moving Kodachrome 25 to another building at Kodak Park, from what I've heard here.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.



 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin