Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,869   Posts: 1,629,354   Online: 735

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    To properly "install" coating equipment the machines must be anchored to the ground in such way that passing traffic does not cause defects in the coatings. Also, the machines must be carefully aligned to prevent kinks. So, moving is not the problem. It is down time and alignment which up the expense of any move.

If Ilford moves (and I did not mean to imply that in my post in any way) it will be very costly in terms of time and money. Most of you do not realize this. It is similar to a chip production area. Moves cause defects.

PE
    Well, Ilford/Harman are no fools, and the public documents indicate that they are backing the plans for redevelopment of the Mobberley site, which include a new factory for them. (The location is on a corner of the current site, already occupied by one of their buildings.) I'm sure that they will have done their homework on all of the implications.

Don't forget that these are the guys who routinely coat film, paper, inkjet, etc., on one machine, which you have implied Kodak find difficult ?

The UK ain't the US, and Ilford ain't Kodak (thankfully ) )

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    Bad 8x10 paper negative shot on a dreary day of a beautiful Bob Timberlake 16 year old cabin. As for moving up north, I don't think so. Northerners move down here every day, but when is the last time you heard of it happening in reverse? You people freeze your keisters off up there.Attachment 85187
    Ok I accept let's trade

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by KennyMark View Post
    Wow, that could be from my collection. It instantly brought the smell back.
    Yea I had to wash everything it was stinky...

No one was hurt and nothing important was lost. So all is well in my world despite, and I got some cool images at least.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If the biggest problem with moving of coating machines is the resulting downtime of these machines, then what is the problem? It's not like they need these machines spinning 24/7 these days ...
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudeofus View Post
    If the biggest problem with moving of coating machines is the resulting downtime of these machines, then what is the problem? It's not like they need these machines spinning 24/7 these days ...
    Down time could be a year and the waste of testing after to ensure and correct issues and no emulsion problems, etc... It's costly... Storing the excess film before shut down to ensure a supply while down.. Etc

Shooter
    35mm

B-17 & B-29

Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    BTW--I've got nothing but respect for Boeing. Any company that have come up with the B-17 and B-29 at that time, with that technology was genius.
    Zowie! Sounds like I might have found a fellow history buff!

Shooter
    35mm
    Didn't Ilford successfully move production to Mobberley, Cheshire, from somewhere in London( Ilford?) in the early 1980s?

pentaxuser

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Down time could be a year and the waste of testing after to ensure and correct issues and no emulsion problems, etc... It's costly... Storing the excess film before shut down to ensure a supply while down.. Etc
    Where do you get that figure of "a year" from? And, with more than one line available, production doesn't have to shut down completely ? Furthermore, the move to a new factory would be a couple of hundred yards, not across a continent ?
    Last edited by railwayman3; 03-27-2014 at 09:44 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    But isn't moving a factory a couple of hundred yards still a major endeavor... just less time/space to transit?
    Last edited by BrianShaw; 03-27-2014 at 09:46 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: deleted reply to a deleted comment (which was really funny)

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    But isn't moving a factory a couple of hundred yards still a major endeavor... just less time/space to transit?
    I had second thoughts (being, I hope, an English gentleman) that my original comment was a bit rude....

Anyway, I'm sure that we Brits can move some machinery a couple of hundred yards, if you guys over there can put a man on the moon ? (Err...you really did do that, didn't you ? )

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin