Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,064   Posts: 1,611,607   Online: 906
      
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 26789101112131415 LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 145
  1. #111

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    5,447
    I'm not sure about going to the moon. I watched it on TV every time we allegedly went and it seemed real enough to me.

    But moving factories of precision stuff is a major endeavor whether moving intercontentially or just a few hundred yards. Sure it can be done, but there is time required and risks. I know that in the US Defense sector industries this is happening more often due to consolidations and cost-cutting. I'll bet British Defense (and others) too experience this need... as well as many commercial sectors. Distance can be one of the lesser factors when considering difficulty. It is never easy, but it can be a necessity and certainly can be accomplished. It's much easier to re-locate pencil-pushers, though.

    p.s. I certainly consider yoruself a gentleman and though your comment was quite witty.

  2. #112
    fotch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    SE WI- USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    4,341
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    In the US a company can write off lease payments at 100% on the taxes. Therefore it is often a wise business decision to lease rather than buy. I do not know the tax laws in England, but I would think that they would be the same in this respect.

    Instead of firing off a posting criticizing a company, that you do some due diligence for a change. A little research you do you a great deal of good.
    No disrespect toward StoneNYC however, am I the only one that does not take his business advise seriously?
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

  3. #113
    omaha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    362
    Images
    6
    FWIW (as someone who has owned an independent business for over 20 years)...

    The question of "lease" vs "buy" is complex and has everything to do with tax law and respective financing options and obsolescence risk and a bunch of other things. The idea that there is one "right" answer is, well, wrong. It all depends.
    I shoot digital when I have to (most of those shots end up here) and film (occasionally one of those shots ends up here) when I want to.

  4. #114
    AgX
    AgX is offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    9,385
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    Didn't Ilford successfully move production to Mobberley, Cheshire, from somewhere in London( Ilford?) in the early 1980s?
    Agfa's consumer film coating line had been dismantled and moved after the AgfaPhoto demise to another town and built up again.

  5. #115

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    8,093
    Images
    228
    Quote Originally Posted by fotch View Post
    No disrespect toward StoneNYC however, am I the only one that does not take his business advise seriously?
    I don't even take my business advice seriously I mean, if I hadn't listed to myself I might not have invested in property it taken any risks in life, then where would I be? :-p

    Anyway, a wise man once told me (might have been Donald Trump, or someone else I can't recall...) that a wise man will only take advice from someone who is already more successful at the thing he is trying to accomplish than he is...

    So unless the person speaking has done what you wish to do, AND was successful at it, you really shouldn't listen to them...

    So basically almost no one here should really be paid any serious attention when it comes to the affairs of Kodak... Or Ilford, or heck successfully producing a salable photo...

  6. #116

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    US
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    2,060
    You want to take your doubts to Buzz Aldrin about whether they went to the moon? I realize he's on towards 90 now, but he'll be glad to give yo a bust in the chops.

  7. #117
    Photo Engineer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    23,941
    Images
    65
    OK, there are a couple of misunderstandings here I think.

    In today's market, it is the move that hurts and it hurts in 2 ways. First is the move itself into a new facility. But second is the down time that takes place during the move. If Ilford (as an example) were to move, they would have to have a rather big backlog of precoated material to tide them over, or we would see products vanish during the move. But, these products have expiration dates. So there is the dilemma.

    The second problem is that paper and film can be coated on the same machine, but there is cleanup time after every paper run due to dust. And so you cannot just coat paper and then film. You have to have a costly down time and cleanup party before film coating starts up again. Thus you have a complex schedule that allows for one or the other with cleanup in-between.

    Add to that that tensioning must be adjusted for film types and paper. Estar, Acetate and RC each run at a different tension and pressure on the air bearings (at KP). IDK how they run at Ilford.

    Just some comments in reply to posts here.

    PE

  8. #118

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    US
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    2,060
    Have Kodak Park categorized as a "historical district" so it can stay right where it is as a protected species.

  9. #119

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    8,093
    Images
    228
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    Have Kodak Park categorized as a "historical district" so it can stay right where it is as a protected species.
    This might prevent future improvements to film production, as the old ways of doing it would mean not being able to add newer technological machinery to the building, not such a good idea in practice.

  10. #120

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    8,093
    Images
    228
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    OK, there are a couple of misunderstandings here I think.

    In today's market, it is the move that hurts and it hurts in 2 ways. First is the move itself into a new facility. But second is the down time that takes place during the move. If Ilford (as an example) were to move, they would have to have a rather big backlog of precoated material to tide them over, or we would see products vanish during the move. But, these products have expiration dates. So there is the dilemma.

    The second problem is that paper and film can be coated on the same machine, but there is cleanup time after every paper run due to dust. And so you cannot just coat paper and then film. You have to have a costly down time and cleanup party before film coating starts up again. Thus you have a complex schedule that allows for one or the other with cleanup in-between.

    Add to that that tensioning must be adjusted for film types and paper. Estar, Acetate and RC each run at a different tension and pressure on the air bearings (at KP). IDK how they run at Ilford.

    Just some comments in reply to posts here.

    PE



 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin