Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,556   Posts: 1,573,168   Online: 834

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 48910111213141516 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    We really are fortunate Mr Mowry and a few of these others share their knowledge with us. Cause I can flat guarantee you once I get rid of these printing presses, no up and coming young printer will ever go on a printer's chat site and read anything I wrote. Ain't happenin'.

Shooter
    35mm
    With regards to film, the only thing I disagree with PE on is that negative film is better than reversal. It's an artistic/purpose thing. I like analog projection. I won't deny that more R&D has gone into negative film, and that the additional printing step plus the mask gives better corrections (and opportunities for correction) than reversal film, for which there is no opportunity for color correction. But when I project a negative, the colors come out all wrong - reversal film does what I want it to. Negative film does not.

PE knows his stuff! I've said before, he has probably forgotten more about film than most of us will ever know.
    ME Super

Shoot more film.
    There are eight ways to put a slide into a projector tray. Seven of them are wrong.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by railwayman3 View Post
    A large area of the property where the Ilford factory stands is empty and it's in a prime and expensive residential area. The development plans, all currently in the public domain and on the web, use the larger part of the site for quality residences, and provide a new small purpose-built factory for Ilford on the remainder...
    Interesting. More information here:

Peter Elton, managing director at HARMAN, is quoted as saying “This opportunity to reshape our facilities would enable us to continue as Mobberley’s largest employer and create a contemporary headquarters more suited to our current and future needs.”

When HARMAN emerged around 2005, it obtained a 20-year site lease. That preparatory site work for the move is slated to begin later this year means to me any coating-line related obstacles have been planned around and that HARMAN's agreement with a move, possibly well before 2025, has been obtained.

Ilford film and paper are coated on a single line today. Whatever the challenges doing that presents, HARMAN has found a way to overcome them. Should the Cheshire East Council see fit to approve the development plan, I'll be even more confident that the future of monochrome silver halide imaging is secure. Maybe Simon will purchase one of those new homes and walk to work, then be able to dispose of his car.

Edit: poking around the Cheshire East Council Web site reveals many details. This report, dated the last day of February 2014, is of particular interest:

I've not yet figured out how Appendix 1 meshes with Appendix 2. The pink HARMAN buildings in the site plan key to existing and new facilities. One might expect that, if some existing facilities are to be retained, the coating building would be one of them. However, HARMAN-related project costs (which total just under 10 million GBP) include more than 2 million GBP for bringing a "Sensitising building" "To Shell" and another 138,000 GBP for "Fit Out." That seems to mean a move of the coating line. Perhaps Simon will explain. Or not.
    Last edited by Sal Santamaura; 03-27-2014 at 04:01 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    We really are fortunate Mr Mowry and a few of these others share their knowledge with us. Cause I can flat guarantee you once I get rid of these printing presses, no up and coming young printer will ever go on a printer's chat site and read anything I wrote. Ain't happenin'.
    I wouldn't be so sure about that. You've probably forgotten more about printing than most of us will ever know. Despite the onset of digital printing, there is still interest in traditional typesetting and letterpress, especially for fine art work. Here's an example here in Rochester: http://www.geneseearts.org/Book-Arts...-Book-Arts.php

Are there any printing chat sites like APUG?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by fotch View Post
    No disrespect toward StoneNYC however, am I the only one that does not take his business advise seriously?
    No one takes anything posted by StoneNYC seriously.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ME Super View Post
    I won't deny that more R&D has gone into negative film, and that the additional printing step plus the mask gives better corrections (and opportunities for correction) than reversal film, for which there is no opportunity for color correction.
    Negative film needs masking more than reversal film as due to the neg-pos process two materials with deficiencies are involved in contrast of only one with reversal film for projection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As someone mentioned above, regarding the law of unintended consequences, the Kodachrome 25 film could not be coated on the new machine, and the costs of reformulation was greater than the income on sales! This has come from other sources and so I am not telling stories out of school.

Any move must have an ROI and so if the move and down time in particular cost more than income, you are in trouble.

I neither agree nor disagree with Stone or anyone else on this. I have just been commenting. And, I try not to forget as memories are all I have left kinda. So, now I am working on an outline for V2 of my book. But, my old faithful computer died Friday night and there are no replacement parts for it! Gotta getta new one.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    Negative film needs masking more than reversal film as due to the neg-pos process two materials with deficiencies are involved in contrast of only one with reversal film for projection.
    However, a well made print on a good print film, done from a color negative film will outdo any reversal film when projected side by side. BTDT. After all, every motion picture is made that way and sometimes with up to 12 or more generations of intermediates in between.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    However, a well made print on a good print film, done from a color negative film will outdo any reversal film when projected side by side. BTDT. After all, every motion picture is made that way and sometimes with up to 12 or more generations of intermediates in between.

PE
    Which is why I stopped taking slides and moved to print film.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    my information might be outdated, but as far as a know, the lowest volume kodak can make is 312900 feet. this ads up as follows: one emulsion batch will give enough emulsion to coat 3 master rolls. one master roll is 54 inches wide and 3000 feet long. they ditch 20 millimeters on both sides, so in case of 35mm you will get 38 streaks, witch is 104310 feet for one master roll. that might sound an unimaginable amount in photography, but it is barely enough to support even a mid-sized motion picture shot on film (for the sake of this argument, let's assume that that production uses only one type of emulsion).
    i might be too optimistic, but i think today everyone who wants to use digital has been doing so already (in both the photography and motion picture industries). so, unless the disappearence of print films, or kodak themselfes screw production up... we might be okay. in other words, if kodak motion picture film survives the next 2-3 years, it will survive the next twenty.
    KNOCK. ON. WOOD.
    Last edited by visualbassist; 03-29-2014 at 09:09 AM. Click to view previous post history.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin