Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,700   Posts: 1,549,190   Online: 1229

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Remember that Ilford does not own the property their plant sits on either. At least that is what I remember.

And, the Kodak sale is predicated on their setting up an "escrow" fund to cover any chemical contamination problems that turn up in the future for the prospective buyer.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    I'd hate to see Kodak Park turn to a gathering point for wingnuts to sip overpriced coffee and get tattoos and piercings. And go home to their section 8 apartments.
    Where do you come up with this stuff?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Here in the Rochester area, the continued sell-off of Kodak assets is no longer considered very newsworthy. For better or worse, the local economy has moved on.

Many of the choicest parcels of the Kodak properties have already been sold, so this news story is getting shrugs from local developers. The remaining photo manufacturing facilities would be leased back from any new owners until the inevitable cessation of film production. Then, because of their specialized architecture, those buildings would simply be demolished. Ultimately, due to long-term soil contamination issues in certain areas, we might end up with a forever-wild Kodak Park, teeming with deer and squirrels, with George Eastman's gravesite as the centerpiece.

I suppose that the sale of the iconic Kodak office tower on State Street would cause a sentimental stir around here, but most of those tears have already been shed. A good portion of that downtown property has already been sold to the County for use as a community college campus.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Rust View Post
    ...until the inevitable cessation of film production.
    ...until the inevitable cessation of Kodak film production.

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    ...until the inevitable cessation of Kodak film production.

Ken
    Isn't film production the basis for Alaris which arose out of the rights of the U.K. Kodak pension fund? I wonder what rights the Kodak U.K. pension fund was given when it acquired whatever rights it acquired.

Was it simply that in return for absolving Kodak of its pension obligations to its U.K. employees it got film production but only for as a long as it suited Kodak U.S.?

I know the Brits are easily fooled into being ripped off but wouldn't this have to compare with the best that Gordon Gekko could have devised

Maybe the Brits had no choice and were forced to take pity on Kodak U.S. in the same way I had to take pity the other day on a man who certainly appeared down at heel and who asked if I could spare a few pounds for a poor man whose only possession in life was a loaded Smith and Wesson

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    Where do you come up with this stuff?
    An image of what I see when I have to drive through the old Johnston Mill area of Charlotte, now known as "NODA" (North Davidson St. area), and other such places that were once busy factories and neighborhoods in a bygone time. Now a whole other culture of wierdos, with crazy little shops like "Sunshine Daydreams" and other nefarious holes-in-the-wall of that zombie culture. Every other old shopspace a silly coffee shop before the "art gallery" next door, and another coffee shop next to that. Buildings all with planned graffiti. The mill buildings all sectioned off at city taxpayer expense for the zombie culture to have their little section 8 "apartment". But that's just "NODA". Those sorts of places are all over. Riding through them makes me wonder if SOMEBODY, me or them are from another planet.
    I hate to see that happen to a once-vital manufacturing area. In its day Kodak Park was once a beacon of a standard of living and family life that was the envy of the world, I'm sure. Why do I care? I'm not sure. I've been in photography all my life, and by nature of that, a Kodak follower.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    not gonna happen, ricky died in the 80s ..
    But the others are still together and still flying!
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    Maybe the Brits had no choice and were forced to take pity on Kodak U.S. in the same way I had to take pity the other day on a man who certainly appeared down at heel and who asked if I could spare a few pounds for a poor man whose only possession in life was a loaded Smith and Wesson
    Great post! I love it when people make their points with a little flair and creativity in their writing.

Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    Isn't film production the basis for Alaris which arose out of the rights of the U.K. Kodak pension fund? I wonder what rights the Kodak U.K. pension fund was given when it acquired whatever rights it acquired.

Was it simply that in return for absolving Kodak of its pension obligations to its U.K. employees it got film production but only for as a long as it suited Kodak U.S.?
    That is the $64,000 question.

What happens when the current (final?) EK motion picture film contract expires? Will KA try to purchase and continue operating the coating facilities from EK? Is it worth the risk to the pensioners, who are their primary responsibility, to even consider it? Will Perez's henchmen sneak through the chain link fences under cover of darkness and again plant high explosives just to give him one last ex-CEO thrill?

Or was KA really only primarily interested in the kiosks and other digital properties in the first place? And the residual film product lines just came along for a final tempoprary ride? Or might they try firing up film coating in the UK, where it seems they already own the buildings? I've read through the press releases on the KA website and could find virtually no mention of film-related anything being said. Maybe I missed it somewhere?

Ken
    Last edited by Ken Nadvornick; 03-25-2014 at 07:55 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Format change...
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    not gonna happen, ricky died in the 80s ..
    Sorry, but FYI, B-52's are still flying.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    All I can say about ilford is they are foolish to not own the properly, too costly to move all that equipment.

As far as cleanup, my grandfathers estate was 2 hour see and a dry cleaners building, he's been gone for almost 20 years and we are STILL cleaning up the perk (Perchlorethylene) ....

The property lot is only about 1600 square feet...

We've spent well over 1,000,000 to clean it up (we being the estate money).

Good luck to them...
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin