Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,233   Posts: 1,532,914   Online: 988

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891014 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    All I can say about ilford is they are foolish to not own the properly, too costly to move all that equipment.

As far as cleanup, my grandfathers estate was 2 hour see and a dry cleaners building, he's been gone for almost 20 years and we are STILL cleaning up the perk (Perchlorethylene) ....

The property lot is only about 1600 square feet...

We've spent well over 1,000,000 to clean it up (we being the estate money).

Good luck to them...
    Oh, the old EPA goldmine trick. Seen that one before. Stone, you can forget any inheritance from that. You'll be lucky if you can escape this world without a price on YOUR head over that.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    Oh, the old EPA goldmine trick. Seen that one before. Stone, you can forget any inheritance from that. You'll be lucky if you can escape this world without a price on YOUR head over that.
    Tom, so you want to live in a world where you are free to pollute the environment without the responsibility of cleaning it up? And you're offended by a few people with tattoos and piercings? Seems like your priorities are backwards.

Sorry Stone, but better his estate pays for the cleanup than the rest of the public.
    Last edited by L Gebhardt; 03-25-2014 at 08:24 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Spelling

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by L Gebhardt View Post
    Tom, so you want to live in a world where you are free to pollute the environment without the responsibility of cleaning it up? An you're offended by a few people with tattoos and piercings. Seems like your priorities are backwards.

Sorry Stone, but better his estate pays for the cleanup than the rest of the public.
    You said that; I did not.

Shooter
    35mm

Ask the man who owns one

As far as I know the old Packard motorcar plant in Detroit is still empty and forlorn. But, and I don't know how to say this -- the world has survived the demise of what was the "Cadillac" of American cars back when Caddy was just another brand. I know a firm that made horse collars and buggy whips and seat covers for (horse and) buggy seats. Some young whippersnappers in the company wanted to make stuff for new-fangled automobiles but the old timers said no. They split the company and the new company made million of $$$ making auto seat cover replacements. The old company kept making horse collars for years -- sometime a half dozen in a good week. Think about it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by L Gebhardt:
    Tom, so you want to live in a world where you are free to pollute the environment without the responsibility of cleaning it up? An you're offended by a few people with tattoos and piercings. Seems like your priorities are backwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    You said that; I did not.
    Actually, you have... You often introduce your rather limited world, and political, views into threads.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Everyone seems to forget that Kodak Alaris got Harrow, the colour paper manufacturing facility on it, the right to market the colour paper and the chemistry marketing rights.

Kodak film is an important business, but I would be willing to bet that the paper is pretty important too.

And Stone - it would have been quite surprising if Ilford Harman was able to raise the capital to buy their current premises, given that that entity arose from the ashes of a bankruptcy/receivership.

As best as I can recall, they do enjoy the benefit of a long term lease.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Large Format
    Eddie, allow me to be understood clearly: When I see people I see the good first. The bad, I don't see so well, right off. If that is misunderstood as offense or insult only because of my own lack of literacy to convey that, then please don't take that for contempt. That certainly would be a pity. Regards.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by L Gebhardt View Post
    Tom, so you want to live in a world where you are free to pollute the environment without the responsibility of cleaning it up? And you're offended by a few people with tattoos and piercings? Seems like your priorities are backwards.

The problem is mostly that 70 years ago when he bought the place from the previous owner, no one knew it was bad, he used to just dump it in the grass behind the store. Later when it came to light that it wasn't ok to do that, he collected it in a tank and had it taken out properly, also there was a gas station down the road the also contaminated the surrounding soil but because they are big mobile, they don't have to help clean up the other toxins they added to out area of soil, so we had to clean up both.

I'm glad we found a way to clean it up, I just think it stinks to be paying for something that we didn't even do in any violation, we did it before the laws and know-how existed...

Anyway it's almost all gone (the money and the bad soil) the EPA released us from them, and now we just deal with the cleanup company so we are almost done.

But anyway the ONLY reason we could cover this tremendous payment was simply that the location of the store was in Greenwich, CT ... So the rent of the buildings is extremely high, otherwise we would have not been able to pay many years ago...

We are really trying to make the best of it for us and the environment of course.

As far as inheritance, I keep telling my aunts and uncles and mother that they should keep the property and be smart like rich families and use the trickle income into retirement but they are all foolish and greedy and want the money now, and my mom doesn't have the ability to buy them both out... So I'm sure it will all be spent by the time it would have gone to me.

Anyway back to kodak, my point was that they will have a heck of a time cleaning the soil if it's truly contaminated. And it will cost them dearly.

I also think they are being just as foolish as my aunts and uncles, it's probably one of the only positive performing assets they have and they are getting rid of it to "do more research" I guarantee some of that money will become a bonus for the board members... Sucking kodak dry seems to be the plan.
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Everyone seems to forget that Kodak Alaris got Harrow, the colour paper manufacturing facility on it, the right to market the colour paper and the chemistry marketing rights.

Kodak film is an important business, but I would be willing to bet that the paper is pretty important too.

And Stone - it would have been quite surprising if Ilford Harman was able to raise the capital to buy their current premises, given that that entity arose from the ashes of a bankruptcy/receivership.

As best as I can recall, they do enjoy the benefit of a long term lease.
    Gotcha, well hope they have the foresight to consider this for long term stability if they are ever in the financial position to do it.
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Tom- When you write (disparagingly) about Section 8, the EPA, politics, piercings, etc., it comes across as contemptuous. I believe you when you say you see the good in people first. I'd like you to present the good in you first, rather than the negative rants. I know you have it in you...

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891014 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin