Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,100   Posts: 1,636,433   Online: 1094

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    In this case, PARK is KRAP backwards.

Nicely played...

Ken
    "There is very limited audience for the arty stuff, and it is largely comprised of other arty types, most of whom have no money to spend because no one is buying their stuff either. More people bring their emotions to an image than bring their intellect. The former are the folks who have checkbooks because they are engineers, accountants, and bankers—and generally they are engineers, accountants and bankers because they are not artists."

— Amanda Tomlin, Looking Glass Magazine, 2014

Shooter
    35mm
    Here is a question for you gurus. What happens if film sales continue as-is or grow, but nevertheless the value of the property becomes greater than the value of the product being manufactured on the property? Now, with a long term lease you are safe, but eventually, things catch up with you.

Yep, they catch up and you find that your plant is being sold for the ground it sits on. Then, a new condo arises there and your plant is no more.

This, BTW, was a small but real factor in the demise of EFKE I have been told.

PE
    A large area of the property where the Ilford factory stands is empty and it's in a prime and expensive residential area. The development plans, all currently in the public domain and on the web, use the larger part of the site for quality residences, and provide a new small purpose-built factory for Ilford on the remainder. Presumably much more economical and suitable for them than the large 1960's buildings. (And you could almost carry most of the smaller equipment across the park
    to the new factory, so no massive moving logistics or costs. )

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here is a question for you gurus. What happens if film sales continue as-is or grow, but nevertheless the value of the property becomes greater than the value of the product being manufactured on the property? Now, with a long term lease you are safe, but eventually, things catch up with you.

Yep, they catch up and you find that your plant is being sold for the ground it sits on. Then, a new condo arises there and your plant is no more.

PE
    That's what happened to Forte in Hungary.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by railwayman3 View Post
    A large area of the property where the Ilford factory stands is empty and it's in a prime and expensive residential area. The development plans, all currently in the public domain and on the web, use the larger part of the site for quality residences, and provide a new small purpose-built factory for Ilford on the remainder. Presumably much more economical and suitable for them than the large 1960's buildings. (And you could almost carry most of the smaller equipment across the park
    to the new factory, so no massive moving logistics or costs. )
    Hope they remember to leave sufficient room for color...

Ken
    "There is very limited audience for the arty stuff, and it is largely comprised of other arty types, most of whom have no money to spend because no one is buying their stuff either. More people bring their emotions to an image than bring their intellect. The former are the folks who have checkbooks because they are engineers, accountants, and bankers—and generally they are engineers, accountants and bankers because they are not artists."

— Amanda Tomlin, Looking Glass Magazine, 2014

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    To properly "install" coating equipment the machines must be anchored to the ground in such way that passing traffic does not cause defects in the coatings. Also, the machines must be carefully aligned to prevent kinks. So, moving is not the problem. It is down time and alignment which up the expense of any move.

If Ilford moves (and I did not mean to imply that in my post in any way) it will be very costly in terms of time and money. Most of you do not realize this. It is similar to a chip production area. Moves cause defects.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In the 1980s I worked for Sperry Univac. Across the field there was a brand new chip manufacturing plant. The whole building floated on bags of air. Still, the freeways and the airport caused too much shake and not a single chip was ever made there. The air spaces were filled in with concrete and the building sold for office space.
    “You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    To properly "install" coating equipment the machines must be anchored to the ground in such way that passing traffic does not cause defects in the coatings. Also, the machines must be carefully aligned to prevent kinks. So, moving is not the problem. It is down time and alignment which up the expense of any move.

If Ilford moves (and I did not mean to imply that in my post in any way) it will be very costly in terms of time and money. Most of you do not realize this. It is similar to a chip production area. Moves cause defects.

PE
    Entire US factories have been dismantled and shipped to China. Factories with very expensive and sensitive equipment capable of machining parts to micron levels of tolerance. Once re-assembled, calibration is necessary but is easily done.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Even better have Stone give us financial and tax advice and we will do the opposite. We will quickly become Millionaires!
    Haha

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    Entire US factories have been dismantled and shipped to China. Factories with very expensive and sensitive equipment capable of machining parts to micron levels of tolerance. Once re-assembled, calibration is necessary but is easily done.
    I disagree with the "easily" part of that statement. I've been involved in a couple of moves, and they were no picnic.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

PE

PE
    This what I was talking about...

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin