Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,229   Posts: 1,532,854   Online: 986

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

REUTERS FIRES THEIR PHOTOJOURNALIST OF OVER 30 YEARS

-----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Reuters is mostly a propaganda agency these days and therefore doesn't need good photojournalist who still might have an iota of integrity. They prefer one sided reports best made by one side of a civil war or political party. Knowledge, moral and integrity in these days are a hindrance to business and that's what reuters is.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I do hope that's just because it's today...
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

Shooter
    35mm

daid

Reuters pretty much died when news services stopped using semaphores to keep up with what Napoleon's armies were up to.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The article is not entirely accurate. They didn't lay off all their sports photographers. What they did was to change their freelance sports assignment procedure. They now use USA Today Sports Images for ALL North American sports. Cheaper assignment rates and no expenses paid. So yeah, lots of photographers lost a huge chunk of their income but they did not lay off all their sports photographers.

Read this for more inofrmation…. https://nppa.org/node/66076

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I can't help wondering what sort of sports photographs you can take with an iphone ?.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 04-01-2014 at 09:34 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    From what I understand and hear from friends who know the details. Some of these "photographers" have day jobs that basically support their playing at 'sports photographer'. That they can drive around 300 kms round trip, not get reimbursed for parking and mileage and end up with, let's say $75 for 3 - 5 hours of work, speaks volumes. SCrew these bottom feeders…

-that number is a guess taking in mileage and parking.
    Last edited by canuhead; 04-01-2014 at 09:40 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    At sports events like Olympics hundreds of photographers shoot more or less the same images. (been there and done it) In fact one of the big agencies would be enough to cover these events and I completely understand that Reuters licenses the pictures instead of sending own photographers for more money to receive (more or less) the same images. We might not like it, but it's business.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No, what they are doing in NA is not using their better paid, very experienced (as in excellent photographers) freelancers and going with those who aren't fully vested in the business (see day jobs) and will file 'useable' photos. I know that in Toronto, very few freelancers if any, can touch Mark Blinch's sports photography. None. It's gamble that may cost them clients in the end so poor decision imo.
    Last edited by canuhead; 04-01-2014 at 12:40 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is just continuing the downfall of the mainstream media as the view their people - reporters, photographers, copy editors, etc. - as expenses rather than assets.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin