Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,198   Posts: 1,531,465   Online: 827

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by summicron1 View Post
    Central Camera, 230 S. Wabash, has everything.

No, seriously. Everything. Old line, long-time old fashioned camera store.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Centr...139595?fref=ts
    Just off the plane from a week in Chicago -- my first time there. I think it's my new favorite city! -- in spite of the late season cold (will this winter ever end?). I ran out of film, and took a walk down to Central Camera for some Portra in 120. Very cool old store, and it seemed very well stocked, even though I didn't have time to stay and look around. Calumet was closer to where I was staying, but alas, alas...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TimFox View Post
    The two stores mentioned are less than three miles apart. Take the Blue Line El from one to the other.
    Folks were lamenting the fact the calumet stopped selling a proper selection of film even before their demise.

This store was not even on the radar.

Its a great alternative to the online hacks, and why not support any brick and mortar business that sells film?
    Sure buy some at central, and buy some here. They all need our support.
    CatLABS of JP
    Darkroom resources and service

www.catlabs.info | https://www.facebook.com/CatLABS.of.JP | www.jobo-usa.com

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CatLABS View Post
    ...and why not support any brick and mortar business that sells film?
    In my case, because I refuse to pay US $13.99 for one roll of Portra 400 (120).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Lomo has been closing many of their stores lately (LA, SF, Santa Monica, Toronto, Manchester UK) to concentrate on their web based model of retail sales. I hope the Chicago store remains open. The only Lomo shops left in the US are Chicago and NYC. Although none of this has any real bearing on the popularity of film use. The cost incurred by Lomo to keep physical stores open was the bigger issue.

fwiw, the LA Weekly wrote an article on the closing of the LA store, entitled ""If Hipster Cameras Are So Popular, Why Did LA's Lomo Stores Close Down?" http://www.laweekly.com/publicspecta...res-close-down

The article explains why a brick and mortar model doesn't quite work for Lomo "With one million web-based community members worldwide, Lomo really doesn't need its stores."

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Película View Post
    Lomo has been closing many of their stores lately (LA, SF, Santa Monica, Toronto, Manchester UK) to concentrate on their web based model of retail sales. I hope the Chicago store remains open. The only Lomo shops left in the US are Chicago and NYC. Although none of this has any real bearing on the popularity of film use. The cost incurred by Lomo to keep physical stores open was the bigger issue.

fwiw, the LA Weekly wrote an article on the closing of the LA store, entitled ""If Hipster Cameras Are So Popular, Why Did LA's Lomo Stores Close Down?" http://www.laweekly.com/publicspecta...res-close-down

The article explains why a brick and mortar model doesn't quite work for Lomo "With one million web-based community members worldwide, Lomo really doesn't need its stores."
    All true, and as i understand, the Chicago store is staying open, at least for now, regardless of this sad, albeit very logical and true move from lomo.
    CatLABS of JP
    Darkroom resources and service

www.catlabs.info | https://www.facebook.com/CatLABS.of.JP | www.jobo-usa.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Local isn't always more expensive. My local camera store has started selling Precisa CT for $9.99. B&H has it for $9.95. I have to pay more than 4 cents a roll to have it shipped from B&H so when I have the desire to shot this, I'll get it from my local shop, like I do the HP5+. Pro E6 is still cheaper online, and the local shop doesn't carry the Rollei IR400s, so those will still come from NYC.
    ME Super

Shoot more film.
    There are eight ways to put a slide into a projector tray. Seven of them are wrong.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin