Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,224   Posts: 1,532,658   Online: 877

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Prof_Pixel View Post
    Can anyone change 'Joirnal' to the correct 'Journal', please?
    Nothing wrong with Joirnal if you are from Joirsey. Sorry, couldn't resist

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Because he didn't want to indicate his plan... His plan is probably to suck the film line dry and then shut it down... That's just a suspicion, if he planned to keep it, he would have mentioned it.
    Exactly. KA has no hope for a long term future for their film line.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    Exactly. KA has no hope for a long term future for their film line.
    CEOs statements to press are for investors, they will have a similar set for staff, as well as goal statements for executives.

All these would be vapid nonsense.

The letter last Nov indicating 10% rise in cine film and process price was a commercial position, citing reduced demand.

If you were planning on a shoot and had the money you would have spent it before Jan'14 when it became effective.

If your budget was tight and you did not have credit you would have had to gone back to backers or cancelled or gone digital.

But Ferrani must be considering their position if Fuji and Kodak pull out of film. Cine E6 could be a niche product if they get it to market before the infra structure is scrapped...

OT flash back
    The Mazda Mx-5 roadsters development team early in dev cycle have a panic stop and gather around for a management edict, number one says 'BL in UK have stopped development of their MGB roadsters follow on.' Inscrutable dev team break out in cheers.

There is a lot of dumped Fuji in stores below manufactured yen.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Xmas View Post
    But Ferrani must be considering their position if Fuji and Kodak pull out of film. Cine E6 could be a niche product if they get it to market before the infra structure is scrapped...
    Film Ferrania likely considered their cine position in that regard years ago. Hoping to supply only a surviving niche cine E-6 market, they must be concerned now that the talk of niche E-6 stills in gazillions of formats, with them as potentially the world's only source, is rampant on the net.

Adding stills makes for a much larger niche that will want to be supplied at the same instant that cine users get theirs. I do wonder if they are worried that potential demand will outstrip their ability to supply. Especially at the beginning of availability.

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    35mm RF
    HiKen

Don't buy much larger niche of E6 stills eg I went to C41 2005 not enough infra structure ie too many mini labs and I could home process C41 easily, and C41 film is cheap on every town high street here.

1GBP 24x 35mm cassette 200ISO rebadged MIJ.

It is just like the video format war where the low quality format wins, and then dies with digital.

The door on E6 or ECN cine is closing rapidly they need expensive machines.

If they make E6 in 35mm cine and have finishing machines for 135 they can reduce risk but they may have missed the boat.

They might need to consider C41 instead if the market collapses, as evidenced by 'and C41 film is cheap...' above

I still have a fridged pro pack of Astia 100 2005-12... seems to be a good investment. When I asked a chum last week end they said the Lomo people cross process it and pay silly prices.

The other example is my normal supplier still has residue ULF...

http://www.silverprint.co.uk/Product...asp?PrGrp=2234

must make them a bit reluctant for this year.

Shooter
    35mm
    Here is the reply I received from the Rochester Business Journal:

Film did not come up during the interview with the CEO. He spoke more broadly about the two divisions and my questions centered on his views on ways to drive growth. The company's stated view has been that film is profitable and its lifecycle with Kodak Alaris depends on profitable demand by consumers and professionals for the products.

The president of Kodak Alaris' Personalized Imaging business touched on it briefly during an interview back in September.

http://www.rbj.net/article.asp?aID=199977

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Prof_Pixel View Post
    ...The president of Kodak Alaris' Personalized Imaging business touched on it briefly during an interview back in September...
    Pertinent quotes from that interview:

"...The deal with Kodak included...research and development and intellectual property..."

"...There is no long-term supply agreement with Kodak; we will be completely independent"

Taken together, they seem to support my position that, after Eastman Kodak's motion picture supply agreement ends, Building 38 will cease being the place where still film is coated. At that point, either Alaris will schlep its R&D staff and IP to Harrow in an attempt to coat still films itself, or some third-party supplier's film product(s) will have a "Kodak" brand slapped on them. In either situation, what becomes available for retail purchase won't be the 320TXP, TMX or TMY we know today. I intentionally omitted Ektar and Portra, since Kodak color film, in my opinion, will be a thing of history when this happens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    Pertinent quotes from that interview:

"...The deal with Kodak included...research and development and intellectual property..."

"...There is no long-term supply agreement with Kodak; we will be completely independent"

Taken together, they seem to support my position that, after Eastman Kodak's motion picture supply agreement ends, Building 38 will cease being the place where still film is coated. At that point, either Alaris will schlep its R&D staff and IP to Harrow in an attempt to coat still films itself, or some third-party supplier's film product(s) will have a "Kodak" brand slapped on them. In either situation, what becomes available for retail purchase won't be the 320TXP, TMX or TMY we know today. I intentionally omitted Ektar and Portra, since Kodak color film, in my opinion, will be a thing of history when this happens.
    I think you are 100% spot on (sadly). Seeing that option #2 is infinitely more easy, I guess Kodak will sell 3rd party film, just as they do (sort of) with cameras now!

This would still be good for film, assuming sales are made, as whomever is the 3rd party will have much higher volume.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I work very near the George Eastman House in Rochester and often enjoy lunch in their very pleasant cafe. Today it so happened that Kodak Alaris was holding a local employee conference at GEH and several participants were taking a break at a cafe table. Seated nearby, I couldn't help but overhear the topic of their animated conversation ... the development of marketing concepts to encourage cellphone and tablet users to print out their digital photos. I don't know if they were talking about photo kiosks or online services, but I certainly didn't hear any mention of film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Rust View Post
    I work very near the George Eastman House in Rochester and often enjoy lunch in their very pleasant cafe. Today it so happened that Kodak Alaris was holding a local employee conference at GEH and several participants were taking a break at a cafe table. Seated nearby, I couldn't help but overhear the topic of their animated conversation ... the development of marketing concepts to encourage cellphone and tablet users to print out their digital photos. I don't know if they were talking about photo kiosks or online services, but I certainly didn't hear any mention of film.
    Wait a minute...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that the same concept (among others) that EK was already late to the table with? And contributed to their eventual demise as a photography company?

Moved to mass-market digital P&Ss after the market went cell phone cameras? Moved to printing cell phone pictures after the market moved to online display of digital photos? And moved to online display after it was just too late for them entirely?

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin