Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,572   Posts: 1,545,652   Online: 981

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Rust View Post
    I work very near the George Eastman House in Rochester and often enjoy lunch in their very pleasant cafe. Today it so happened that Kodak Alaris was holding a local employee conference at GEH and several participants were taking a break at a cafe table. Seated nearby, I couldn't help but overhear the topic of their animated conversation ... the development of marketing concepts to encourage cellphone and tablet users to print out their digital photos. I don't know if they were talking about photo kiosks or online services, but I certainly didn't hear any mention of film.
    Probably a phone app, sadly, this already exists with infrastructure and print options already..
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Given the limited resources that Alaris presently has to work with ... an existing deployment of retail printing kiosks, a photo paper manufacturing plant and a disappearing film market ... what else can they do? Management is committed to short term profits, not long term investments. It would appear that they're betting on a cellphone app and attendant marketing campaign to suddenly ignite an unquenchable worldwide passion to print out all the family photos trapped on millions of iPhones and SD cards. This plan does seem to be an uphill climb, a bit of a stretch, a day late and a dollar short, and very, very familiar to any long-term Kodak observer.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Probably a phone app, sadly, this already exists with infrastructure and print options already..
    As you indicatedd, already offered by photofinishers. There even is more innovation on the field of photobooks at independant finisher side than at Kodak.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This plan does seem to be an uphill climb, a bit of a stretch, a day late and a dollar short, and very, very familiar to any long-term Kodak observer.
    <long plaintive sigh...>

"They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    As you indicatedd, already offered by photofinishers. There even is more innovation on the field of photobooks at independant finisher side than at Kodak.
    Yup, I use blurb, it links with Adobe Lightroom. I may go to others as for my personal books but for clients blurb works... I think it's called blurb, I'm not at the computer to confirm, I've only used it a few times. But it's so simple and easy...

What they should certainly do is come out with some profiles for their Kodak product in the past in digital form so that photographers could mimic the color palettes of previous films, like the film that shall not be named "K64" and others. This would at least sell...
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Given the limited resources that Alaris presently has to work with ... an existing deployment of retail printing kiosks, a photo paper manufacturing plant and a disappearing film market ... what else can they do? Management is committed to short term profits, not long term investments. It would appear that they're betting on a cellphone app and attendant marketing campaign to suddenly ignite an unquenchable worldwide passion to print out all the family photos trapped on millions of iPhones and SD cards. This plan does seem to be an uphill climb, a bit of a stretch, a day late and a dollar short, and very, very familiar to any long-term Kodak observer.
    The film market disappeared a long time ago. All that's left to fall is motion pictures. The writing is on the wall for that. There are no surprises left. So either Kodak Alaris tries like hell to keep film alive in this new world of niche use, or they fold up that shop and become a boring "Kiosk" company as well as a scanner/business imaging company.

I dont care about their other businesses. If KA doesnt want to sell film then fine.

As far as I'm concerned, their total and complete silence about their film line speaks louder than any words can. They want out of film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    AgX stated in the other thread
    that analog / photo film is a tiny percent
    of their whole portfolio. i don't think it was a slight against the
    analog community at all. ( all 200 of them/us )

yes, it would have been nice to mention "film" in an interview
    but they have bigger fish to fry ...
    it is strange to imagine ceo of a company is going to drop everything to revive
    dead emulsion lines ( with no widespread infrastructure to finish them, or do anything drastic when there is
    no growing customer base ) to cater to the whims / wants / needs of what comes down to a handful of people
    not billions of people. right now its on its head, before it was the profits of the analog industry that kept their other side alive
    now the they are going to have to do the opposite .
    it was a nice gesture to ask the film shooting community for suggestions
    ( i was touched to get a reply ) im not going to imagine any time in the future that they take
    what i or most people suggested to be their plan.

i think a lot of credit should be given to the other analog film
    suppliers who have done a very good job picking up the slack while KODAK and ALARIS have made drastic moves to save their skins ...
    if it comes down to someone else make their product for them more power to them.
    who knows, maybe if they did this 10 years ago ( instead of being so perfection minded ) ... they would have been able
    to re-use sell off, repurpose incubate some of their now defunct campus/ideas, kept jobs and stayed better afloat.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, I stated it is fraction of their business. KA did not publish yet figures about the relation of their revenues.

For a new CEO not originating from the photochemical world his perception of businesses aside of figures is of influence too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    ...it was a nice gesture to ask the film shooting community for suggestions...
    His request was not addressed to, nor did it explicitly mention, "the film shooting community." I just sent film-related questions anyway.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Taken together, they seem to support my position that, after Eastman Kodak's motion picture supply agreement ends, Building 38 will cease being the place where still film is coated. At that point, either Alaris will schlep its R&D staff and IP to Harrow in an attempt to coat still films itself, or some third-party supplier's film product(s) will have a "Kodak" brand slapped on them. In either situation, what becomes available for retail purchase won't be the 320TXP, TMX or TMY we know today. I intentionally omitted Ektar and Portra, since Kodak color film, in my opinion, will be a thing of history when this happens.
    On the other hand, it gives KA until the machines at Bldg 38 are scrapped (or re-purposed for the box printing venture) to be up and running and coating film once again at Harrow. Many, if not all, of the current or at least recent films were coated there at one time and there are still emulsion people alive to figure it out. No, I did not say it was a simple undertaking, but such things can be done. As much as the new people don't say anything about making film, I haven't seen where they said they weren't going to make it either. Business publications want to hear about what a company is doing that's new. Kodak, in whatever form, making film is not news. Same as if Ford said they were going to be making cars. So what? Everyone knows that.

It would have been simple enough for KA to dump the film business before taking over the remains of the carcass. They did not do that. KA was to never have the motion picture business in the first place as that was specifically cut out of the deal. KA's business model for film probably does not really care about motion picture film.

The best opportunity to keep any coated product being made is that the coating line is multi-purpose as in that other things can be coated on it beside photographic products. I'd like to be able to buy Ektar and T-Max for the foreseeable future. Where and how it is coated I do not really care.

Stop with all the doom and gloom already. Kodak as a whole hasn't said much of anything about film in the last 10 or 12 years as if their denial of it's very existence would be their saving grace. It wasn't. That Bldg 38 has a firm date with the cutting torch and wrecking ball is not much in doubt. It never was. All this was put in the works when Whitmore drove the company back to a film concentration in 1993 when those of us who worked there knew it was short-sighted as hell. Actually, so did he, but, he's dead. So the short-sightedness was long enough for him. 20 years later and we can still buy Kodak film despite Eastman Kodak's best intentions. There were as successful at ending sales and manufacture of their bread and butter product as they were at anything else they tried to do to turn the company around. In other words, they sucked at killing off film, too.

But we don't know what other plans there are at KA the same as we don't know what's going to happen at Ilford or Ferrania or General Motors. If all the decisions were being made and overseen in Rochester then there wouldn't be much hope. But they aren't. They are supposed to be being made in England and I'll take the liberty of calling that Europe. (I don't know how Englishmen feel about that, though.) Europe has Ilford and Adox and Foma alive. Plus Ferrania trying to come out of the grave and Agfa around in some form. (And my apologies to whoever else I forgot) Why? Because in my experience business in Europe thinks longer term and realizes that while niche markets maybe aren't high growth industries, there are still customers to be served and money to be made. My hope is that the thinking at KA is along these lines. A sustainable model for a right sized business that serves a loyal customer base and earns a consistent return for their pension fund.
    All this has happened before, and all this will happen again.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin