Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,217   Posts: 1,532,141   Online: 1034

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That was spoken from the heart...

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by kb3lms View Post
    ...I'd like to be able to buy Ektar and T-Max for the foreseeable future. Where and how it is coated I do not really care...
    If by Ektar and TMAX you mean the films sold under those names today, you should care. Coated elsewhere, even if an attempt is made to duplicate their characteristics, the resulting films will not be the same. To what extent they would differ is unknown and might determine whether you'd still want to buy them.

...Whitmore drove the company back to a film concentration in 1993...those of us who worked there knew it was short-sighted as hell...
    In my opinion the only thing short-sighted about that was not simultaneously continuing intensive R&D on digital, patenting everything related, then locking those rights to produce unused in a vault while simultaneously continuing to enjoy the high margins returned by film and paper for many, many more decades.

...Stop with all the doom and gloom already...
    Reality sucks, but it's real.

...My hope is...
    My favorite bumper sticker: "I feel much better since I gave up hope." From among all those seen on other cars while commuting to and from work in another industry that's gone the same route as Kodak film.

Shooter
    35mm RF

... up and running and coating film once again at Harrow. Many, if not all, of the current or at least recent films were coated there at one time and there are still emulsion people alive to figure it out. No, I did not say it was a simple undertaking, but such things can be done.
    KA would need a complete set from kettle to finishing & Id imagine bits of it are on local scrap heap... If building 38 stops KA could offer production people holidays in Europe (ok Harrow) but even if the kit is out of commission it would still be expensive, even moving production kit from 38 difficult.

As the film market is still shrinking investments are difficult to justify.

Ilford used to make 220 but would need investment to do so again, just for a finishing machine, they say no.

You omitted Orwo who make two mono cine films. Some of the people who shot 5222 stills have migrated from 5222 already.

Lomo's 400 ISO 35mm mono is made in USA their 400 ISO 120 in China.

The norm is the large diversified companies stop marginally profitable areas, Fuji and Kodak may stop early. To my mind this is silly but seen it done all to often.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Although not Kodak Alaris-related, this article in yesterday's Wall Street Journal

indicates that Rochester film manufacturing will probably get a reprieve for several years (it's not finalized yet). If that happens and Kodak Alaris elects to continue purchasing/reselling still film, the end will have been delayed.

Interesting to note that the article says closure of Bldg. 38 had been under serious consideration unless the studios stepped in to provide Kodak film with some financial life support. Those same studios declined to invest in Bldg. 38 directly.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin