Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,505   Posts: 1,645,132   Online: 776

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I'm really pleased they're doing well and will keep buying plenty of their film and chemicals...

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by vdonovan View Post
    .... Interestingly, 35mm film sales are flat, but Ilford is seeing steady growth in medium and large format film. In printing paper, RC paper sales are flat, but there is growth in fiber papers, which is where they've launched new products.

I'm not at all surprised. The future of B&W imaging isn't in 'amateur products' like 35mm film and RC paper but rather, in products designed for the more committed photographers.

Shooter
    35mm
    Most of the greatest pictures (since the 30s) have been taken on 35mm.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by chip j View Post
    Most of the greatest pictures (since the 30s) have been taken on 35mm.
    35mm photography is the format most likely to go digital.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Prof_Pixel View Post
    35mm photography is the format most likely to go digital.
    The medium format film camera companies are all out of business,

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by djhurley92 View Post
    Yeah I know I did imply it was an unrealistic pipe dream. But I wasn't suggesting they'd design or manufacture it anyway.

Hassalblad have sold rebadged and minimally modified Fuji cameras, and most of Leica's cheaper digitals are rebadged Panasonics in a different shell with different firmware.

Ilford themselves buy their digital printers from Fuji, specially modified to print black and white only and to a considerably higher standard than otherwise. It would be theoretically possible to do the same with a camera, like how leica modified a normal colour sensor to produce the monochrom.

I was just saying it'd be cool, and a possible niche for them that would be immune to future declining film demand. I'm not at all deluding myself that it will happen though, don't worry!

You are suggesting that the one successful B&W film maker, which is fully committed to analog - should go digital, ala on the lines of Kodak?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by chip j View Post
    The medium format film camera companies are all out of business,
    So?

Their existing cameras will last a very long time and there's no shortage of spares. Lots of people use Graflex products and it's been gone for how long?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by summicron1 View Post
    So?

Their existing cameras will last a very long time and there's no shortage of spares. Lots of people use Graflex products and it's been gone for how long?
    My point was that digital wiped out med format first.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am all in favor of Ilford, and I do buy quite a bit of medium and large format film from them. Black and white is terrific, but I still like to shoot color as well so I continue to support Kodak and Fuji. I for one will be very, very disappointed if they fold entirely. I am still very much addicted to Fuji slide film and to Kodak Portra films.

IMHO there is still nothing quite like a well exposed medium format color slide. For the life of me I cannot understand how someone can claim that color digital is the way to go after looking at a medium format slide show.
    Dan

The simplest tools can be the hardest to master.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
    IMHO there is still nothing quite like a well exposed medium format color slide. For the life of me I cannot understand how someone can claim that color digital is the way to go after looking at a medium format slide show.

They probably havent looked at it. I only recently shot some colour slides in 120 and was blown away!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin