Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,592   Posts: 1,546,068   Online: 946

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by j-dogg View Post
    My 104 year-old 5x7 makes a better image anyway.
    And an 8x10 makes a better image than that. Judging a format on raw IQ is pointless.

Your 5x7 makes a better technical image, but it's an awful lot worse at capturing action or being inconspicous. Different tools are different because different tasks are different.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Around here, they are likely to have shaved heads (and colours) instead.
    I was working in South Dakota and living just a bit west of Sturgis many years back, during my tramp mining days. A travel trailer made living this way possible, just buy space at a local campground by the month.

As the big bike rally in Sturgis kicked off the campground we were in filled with bikers in all their colors; kinda looking like a scene of the bad guys showing up in the movie "Wild Hogs". It was a bit intimidating.

I became obvious real quick that the grand majority of these bad dudes were posers. Everyone of the bikers that camped near us or that we met out and about over the next 2-weeks was a professional. Lawyers, nuclear engineers who did trouble shooting on submarines, dentists, doctors, blah, blah, blah...

Grecian Formula seemed to be keeping the guys hair dark even then.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    I was working in South Dakota and living just a bit west of Sturgis many years back, during my tramp mining days. A travel trailer made living this way possible, just buy space at a local campground by the month.

As the big bike rally in Sturgis kicked off the campground we were in filled with bikers in all their colors; kinda looking like a scene of the bad guys showing up in the movie "Wild Hogs". It was a bit intimidating.

I became obvious real quick that the grand majority of these bad dudes were posers. Everyone of the bikers that camped near us or that we met out and about over the next 2-weeks was a professional. Lawyers, nuclear engineers who did trouble shooting on submarines, dentists, doctors, blah, blah, blah...

Grecian Formula seemed to be keeping the guys hair dark even then.
    Poseurs?
    To me, they are the real deal.

Who cares about the stinking alcoholics, rockers and other half-homeless bikers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NB23 View Post
    Poseurs?
    To me, they are the real deal.

Who cares about the stinking alcoholics, rockers and other half-homeless bikers.
    Real deal? The guys I described were essentially dressed in costume trying to put on a show of rebellion and pretending they were "bad".

I've known personally some of the "stinking alcoholics, rockers and other half-homeless bikers" you dismiss here so easily, actually had one as a brother-in-law for about 10-years and got to know a fair set of his buddies.

It is my experience that life simply dealt many of these people a very different hand-of-cards than I was. Sure they had issues but they were not without talents, hopes, dreams, or skills. Most were even quite articulate within the range of their experience.

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    35mm
    My real-deal is my real-deal. You can keep yours.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NB23 View Post
    My real-deal is my real-deal. You can keep yours.
    Don't take those rose colored glasses off.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    After the first minute or two I just jumped ahead a few times to see if anything beyond grinding and polishing was shown....nope...nothing.

Nowt I'm going to see if the Glidden Company has one like it so I can watch their paint dry while listening to Lindsay Lohan's greatest hits.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For those disparaging this ad or reminding everyone how much better quality your 16x20 view cameras are, this ad was never meant for you. No offense meant but really. It's not. Ignore it.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    a video like this just underscores how lame Leica is in something like this. One can easily get as good or better a polish/finish on a metal object without pointless hand work. The fact they hype that they are too idiotic to go to modern methods underscores why they are overpriced and irrelevant. Compare this to some of Apple's videos of machining and finishing and you can see how far behind Leica is.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by EdSawyer View Post
    a video like this just underscores how lame Leica is in something like this. One can easily get as good or better a polish/finish on a metal object without pointless hand work. The fact they hype that they are too idiotic to go to modern methods underscores why they are overpriced and irrelevant. Compare this to some of Apple's videos of machining and finishing and you can see how far behind Leica is.
    Maybe Leica doesn't know about these other methods. Someone should tell them.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin