Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,850   Posts: 1,582,856   Online: 749

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

The Most Boring Ad Ever Made (Leica)

It is a digital Leica, but anyhow ... I like the ad, not boring at all !

http://vimeo.com/92073118

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by darkosaric View Post
    It is a digital Leica, but anyhow ... I like the ad, not boring at all !
    It's funny. Leica's "boring ad" has gone viral so it's obviously working. Love it or hate it, an awful lot of people are talking about it. You can't ask more from an "ad." So I'd say it was a stroke of genius. Though... It's not for everyone. Heh.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What is so impressive on working 45min on grinding/polishing a camera that cost thousands of Euros?

If I buy a low grade consumer camera for 3 Euro at the fleamarket an then spend one hour just for de-dusting and cleaning I guess I'm in the same leage as Leitz.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Well for one thing, nobody does this anymore. Everything's cheap-ass, molded magnesium or plastic these days.

I'll refrain from commenting on the price.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Clever ad.

I'm not sure I see the point in putting heirloom levels of craftsmanship into a digital camera that will certainly be obsolete in ten years, but if that's what floats your boat...
    I shoot digital when I have to (most of those shots end up here) and film (occasionally one of those shots ends up here) when I want to.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    What is so impressive on working 45min on grinding/polishing a camera that cost thousands of Euros?

If I buy a low grade consumer camera for 3 Euro at the fleamarket an then spend one hour just for de-dusting and cleaning I guess I'm in the same leage as Leitz.
    IMO this video is good evidence that what Leica is really selling with this ad, are trophies.

Not disparaging Leica quality, I do enjoy tools that are well made, but none of that polishing will make any difference to a photo made from that camera.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    35mm
    I am now convinced that Leica is a wannabe brand. Yes, the lousiest photography can be found on leica forums... And now this.
    A dude masturbating a camera.

Shooter
    35mm

stopped

I stopped watching after about a minute and a half. I would have done so sooner but I was hoping it would get better. A hand made body on a Yugo car does not impress me. I'm not much impressed by digital cameras,which are ephemeral. I have to admit the thrust of the ad is well targeted to the Great Unwashed public out there. After it all it was a German-born shrink-turned-adman that convinced General Motors to sell "Hardtop Convertibles." It's the same idea here.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NB23 View Post
    I am now convinced that Leica is a wannabe brand. Yes, the lousiest photography can be found on leica forums... And now this.
    A dude masturbating a camera.
    I think they are simply doing what they can to survive on the market, and to make profit.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    So much negativity... Of course none of this will affect the image it creates. And indeed, this much detail on a limited-lifespan (digital) camera seems a bit... Misguided. As for the quality of photos on "Leica forums" that may very well be true; especially on DPR and LUF. But there ARE good ones out there, too - like GetDPI and LVL. You can find rank amateur photos on ANY forum.

But perhaps there are those (with the means to purchase it) that just appreciate clean design, and solidly built cameras? Sure, a Fuji will have more features at half the price - but it feels like a cheap plastic toy.

As for the innards (specs) of the T... Sure, nothing fancy there. But it IS a solid performer. Look, this isn't a camera for the likes of us here.

Just sayin'

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin