Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,839   Posts: 1,582,470   Online: 762

Page 1 of 14 123456711 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

KA is very disappointing

So here we are in May of 2014 and I'm wondering, has ANYONE seen any signs at all from Kodak Alaris that shows that KA even knows they own a film product line? Maybe I've missed it all during this year but I haven't seen or heard even a peep out of them. I started following Kodak Alaris on Linkedin some time ago and they are rather active there posting many times about products and services that they have as well as some awards that they've won. The problem is. it is ALL 100% digital related crap. Nothing about their Kodak film. Not. One. Single. Word.

Would it really kill KA to put $5 worth of marketing material out there about film? Really?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I'm astonished they haven't made more of it. KA is the retirement plan for the Kodak workers in the UK, and they will run it to make a profit, continuing the lines that sell. As I understand it, KA OEMs all of the film products from Kodak.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    "How much longer will you sell film?
    'As we've said for many years, the life cycle of film will depend on profitable demand by consumers and professionals for the products".

The above is from their own website, and it's not exactly what I would call a strong commitment to film. I read the whole page of product info (see link below) and it sure sounds like the bean counters have gotten control over there. If I were a recipient of Kodak's retirement benefits I would be concerned.

It might be smart to stock up on that Tri-X now. People have cried wolf over this subject for a long time, and I even made up a phony Kodak press release on another forum for April Fools Day, wherein I stated that production of Tri-X would cease in 2015. Now I wonder if something like that might actually happen in the future. And this time I ain't foolin.

http://www.kodak.com/ek/US/en/NewCo_..._Questions.htm
    Last edited by momus; 05-04-2014 at 08:50 AM. Click to view previous post history.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BobCrowley View Post
    As I understand it, KA OEMs all of the film products from Kodak.
    They do not. They only market from the Kodak manufactured film products their still films

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Companies don't exist for the convenience of their customers, they exist to make a profit for their directors and shareholders, once manufacturing film becomes unprofitable it will cease.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What's Kodak? Some kind of app?
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    Companies don't exist for the convenience of their customers, they exist to make a profit for their directors and shareholders, once manufacturing film becomes unprofitable it will cease.
    Yes but that's not a very smart business move, either.

For them to be succesful they have to be proactive. Protecting, promoting and enlarging the market should be a priority if they want film and profits to thrive. If they just watch the market while masturbating on other things, then yes, it will die.

They're not very smart about it, that's for sure.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by NB23 View Post
    Yes but that's not a very smart business move, either.

For them to be succesful they have to be proactive. Protecting, promoting and enlarging the market should be a priority if they want film and profits to thrive. If they just watch the market while masturbating on other things, then yes, it will die.

They're not very smart about it, that's for sure.
    "Promoting and enlarging the market" is hugely expensive and not the road to financial success to do this for products that are in inevitable near terminal decline from a purely monetary viewpoint especially for a company in such deep financial trouble they need to concentrate on producing whatever makes the biggest profit.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm

gone by

Like the fellow said to a guy who complained that Silent Films were disappearing "hey, pal, the parade's gone by."
    Just because you and I happen to like film does not mean "make and sell film" has been written on stone tablets and given to Moses.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So what did you expect from them? They are delivering the films to the market that they were before taking over, JUST AS THEY PROMISED.
    E6 chemicals obsolescence was to be expected after they stopped making E6 films.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Page 1 of 14 123456711 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin