Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,499   Posts: 1,571,581   Online: 1210

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Thom Hogan: Kodak Prices Increase in Japan

30-80% increase in TMAX prices in Japan, among other increases.

http://www.filmbodies.com/newsviews/...-going-up.html

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    There's already a thread about this

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    not a problem;at least, you can get it.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    There's already a locked thread about this.

http://www.nationalphoto.co.jp/1F/kodak_news_06.htm

The rate hike is rather peculiar. The products prices have not been evenly raised, as I would expect from "high raw material costs." The price hikes seem a bit random, with some going up nearly 100%, and some only being raised slightly. When I recently did a price calculation of Ilford film per square inch, 135 came out the most expensive, while 11x14 was the cheapest. From looking at these figures, I think that the price per square inch for Kodak films will be all over the map.

Shooter
    35mm
    I know from my Kodak days that sheet film production (cutting and packaging) is done by hand and is VERY labor intensive. It may be that the bean counters have finally figured this out and are adjusting prices to reflect the true total cost of production.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    It still looks fishy:

T-MAX 100 135-36 -- 36.36%
    T-MAX 400 135 100 -- 50%
    T-MAX 100 4×5 -- 83.41%
    T-MAX 400 135-24 -- 62.22%
    T-MAX 400 135-36 -- 65.62%
    T-MAX 400 135 100 -- 77.31%
    T-MAX 400 120 -- 51%
    T-MAX 400 4×5 -- 108.38%
    TX 400 135-24 -- 44.44%
    TX 400 135-36 -- 48.43%
    TX 400 135 100 -- 64.17%
    TX 400 120 -- 43%
    TXP 320 4×5 -- 66.72%
    TXP 320 8×10 -- 20.09%
    BW400CN 135-36 -- 4.90%
    Portra 800 120 (5 rolls) -- 25.05%

For sheet film:
    T-MAX 100 4×5 -- 83.41%
    T-MAX 400 4×5 -- 108.38%
    TXP 320 4×5 -- 66.72%
    TXP 320 8×10 -- 20.09%
    Isn't it odd that 8x10 is only up 20%, yet 4x5 has a significant jump, and there is a remarkable jump for T-Max 400?

And from what I understand, EK revamped their cutting equipment so that sheet film in the standard sizes is cut using automated equipment.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Here's the blurb from the press release laundered through Google translate---

From Kodak, due to lower demand worldwide as well as high raw material costs, such as acetate, price changes color negative film and black-and-white film of (some) have been announced. Please refer to "NP film price list 2014.6.1 (2014 end of May update plans)" for our sales price.

From June 1, 2014: Price Revision Date.
    ※ For a massive hike in prices, holding is expected to buy by the user in the world. Please contact us as soon as possible for the possibility of short supply is high.

The last sentence seems to say--expect hoarding and shortages before the price increases.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Thanks for the %s

Id be very worried if I used any Kodak other than cine...

I thought the 15% it went up by in Jan14 was bad

I'll be buying Ilford and Forma tomorrow just in case they are bitten by same dog.

Shooter
    35mm
    So are these only Japanese price rises and if so why do the factors only apply to Japan? If TMax is made elsewhere such as Rochester, U.S.A. then the factors applying to its production surely will affect the rest of the world prices

In all of this why is Ilford and Fuji not affected or can we expect similar increases from both?

None of this makes any real sense to me. Has Kodak in Japan decided to follow the famous Japanese Hara Kiri tradition? It looks like it with these increases and if it is applicable to Japan only then unless the tariff barriers preventing importation from the U.S. or Europe are massive then Japanese users will simply use the grey import route and circumvent Japanese stockists

So no-one in his right mind buys any TMax in Japan and in the meanwhile Kodak's reputation takes a nosedive from which it may never recover.

Ilford may not recover either. That is to say it may not recover from the Grandaddy of all hangovers that will follow it many days of celebration at these increases

Here's a short British understatement to end with: I am puzzled about all of this

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If these price increases are due to manufacturing costs, does anyone else wonder why we haven't seen anything similar from:
    1) the Japan distributor;
    2) retailers in other parts of the world; or
    3) distributors selling into other markets; or
    4) Kodak Alaris?

The only pricing information that I have heard in respect to Kodak Alaris is the comments from Keith Canham wherein he advised that a fairly recent special order of Large Format film was available at a lower price than it had previously been offered by Eastman Kodak.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin