Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,518   Posts: 1,543,747   Online: 844

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rorye View Post
    I've shot in the Amazon studio, it's a lot like many other large volume set ups, shooting with an even light as consistently as possible.
    I bucked the rules, went out on a limb at used f8.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I looked at the examination paper trail and it seems like the examination was pretty cursory. I'm not much on studio lighting, but it seems like there should be a lot of relevant prior art from the dead-tree medium, doesn't it? Even with the restriction to the use of a white cyclorama, there's plenty of history of attempts to create seamless background lighting.

IMHO, it's a pretty low-quality patent and mainly a thicket builder.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Newt_on_Swings View Post
    Ugh its ridiculous, can you even imagine what other patents may be submitted if this goes through?
    Where have you been?

http://www.google.com/patents/US6360693

The patent office issued a patent for an artificial stick (although I think this was later invalidated.)
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bezos is a Patent Troll. A patent that offers nothing of value other than to lawyers.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mgb74 View Post
    The patent office issued a patent for an artificial stick (although I think this was later invalidated.)
    I have seen one for a method of combing over your hair to hide baldness!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    What a waste of time, money and effort.

Anyway I doubt Amazon will be using Tri X or FP4 for their product shots

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My personal favorite patent is the famous "Method of Exercising a Cat" (US 5,443,036). It's expired now, so you can exercise your cat without legal concerns!

For the last year or so my day job has been patent-centric, and it's a fascinating and weird world. A casual reading of a patent won't usually tell you much about its coverage or quality---in the legal universe, patents are applied by micro-parsing the exact wording of the claim, and huge legal battles end up coming down to the interpretation of individual words. In the unlikely event that this Amazon patent were ever to be litigated, I can imagine terrific arguments over exactly what is and isn't properly described as a "white cyclorama", for example.

Many patents---including this one, I think---are never intended for litigation; they're for intimidation value, for building what in the business is called a "thicket" for defensive purposes (even a bad patent costs money to argue against, and if there are enough patents, it's an expensive pain just to sort through them for quality; cheaper and easier to settle on a licensing agreement), and frankly, sometimes they happen because no one has the nerve to tell some egotistical senior manager "your patent is stupid".

I don't know a lot about the online retail world, but it seems like there are ongoing low-level knife fights about various business-method and presentation-method patents, and this one kind of looks like it's a thicket-builder for use in those internecine battles.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ntenny View Post
    Many patents---including this one, I think---are never intended for litigation; they're for intimidation value, for building what in the business is called a "thicket" for defensive purposes (even a bad patent costs money to argue against, and if there are enough patents, it's an expensive pain just to sort through them for quality; cheaper and easier to settle on a licensing agreement), and frankly, sometimes they happen because no one has the nerve to tell some egotistical senior manager "your patent is stupid".

But still such a patent has to be approved of by the respective national authority.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    But still such a patent has to be approved of by the respective national authority.
    My take on this is that the patent registry in the US is essentially a notice registry, much like our Personal Property Security registry here in BC.

The patent registry officials evaluate the patent claim mostly on whether the form of the claim meets their requirements, not whether the substance of the claim validly constitutes something that is patentable.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm guilty in participating in a Yogic copyright troll. I do Bikram hot yoga once a week. Bikram Choudry copyrighted a sequences of poses. He makes tons of money from his copyright and sues studio for teaching Bikram Yoga without licensing his poses. Yoga studios that teaches Bikram Yoga has to pay Bikram royalties for every student that pays for a class. But yoga has been around for thousands of years. Also, researchers are patenting human gene just by discovering the function of the gene. There's something wrong here.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin