Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,749   Posts: 1,670,536   Online: 940

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

So who owns the rights to the photos you create

I think it is stealing through lawyers. But I hate Walmart and I hope they lose. Hope the Walmart will end up as a poster boy for not trying to steal a photographer's or any artist work just because they have powerful lawyers.

http://www.ppa.com/ppa-today-blog/in...gainst-pho.php
    “We are buried beneath the weight of information, which is being confused with knowledge; quantity is being confused with abundance and wealth with happiness.
    We are monkeys with money and guns.”

― Tom Waits

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Good Heavens, Walmart trying to hack the legs from under small people?
    Now there's a nice change of policy for them ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    sounds about right. next, amazon will sue her for including a white background in the photos!
    www.vinnywalsh.com

Check out my low volume sheet film tanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Sort of...

Quote Originally Posted by pdeeh View Post
    Good Heavens, Walmart trying to hack the legs from under small people?
    Now there's a nice change of policy for them ...
    Walmart not just try to hack the legs off from the little guy, they want to swallow them whole.
    “We are buried beneath the weight of information, which is being confused with knowledge; quantity is being confused with abundance and wealth with happiness.

― Tom Waits

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    "So, who owns the rights to the photos you create?"

Depends where you ask...

Here in Germany a portrait photographer typically has no copyright. But he owns the negatives.
    (But this easily can get complicated and recent legislature has responded on that.)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's crap such as this that reaffirms my total disgust for wallyworld and everything it represents. I totally abhor the stores, and refuse to shop in them. Oh yeah, don't even get me started with how I see their business practices in the local community/economy.
    Rick Allen
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I hope I'm not getting off the subject, but it's the high cost of low prices.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jazb24Q2s94

Walmart is actually subsidized by US citizens. Walmart rarely pays a living wage nor health benefits. So It's workers have to use food stamps and Medicaid for health care. This is all to increase share holder value. Share holders have no stake in the communities they do business in. But I can go on and on.

But back to the photographer's case, I think it's bullying plain and simple. I don't particularly care what your politics are, but this is a land of laws. The copyright law says that independent contractors owns the rights of the photos. Unless there's an agreement between the studio working under Walmart as work for hire or agreed to a buyout, the studio owns the photos. Isn't that the law?

― Tom Waits

Shooter
    Multi Format
    thanks for the link Maine. Mrs. Huff of Bob's Studio of Photography clearly owns the copyright to those photographs/negatives. Hopefully the case is ruled in their favor once in the federal circuit, or, better yet, Walton's suit is dismissed altogether (knock on wood) and they're required to pay all the legal fees.

also, +1 on your previous post.
    Last edited by yurisrey; 05-19-2014 at 10:56 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: additional comment
    "The real work was thinking, just thinking." - Charles Chaplin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by yurisrey View Post
    thanks for the link Maine. Mrs. Huff of Bob's Studio of Photography clearly owns the copyright to those photographs/negatives.
    Is there really enough information in the linked story to determine that? There aren't a lot of details, but it sounded to me like Walmart is claiming the photos were works-for-hire, while the studio is claiming they were done under contract terms that left the copyright with the studio, and I don't see how we can know which is right without looking at the actual contract terms under which they were made.

I don't like Walmart either, but I'm pretty sure Arkansas contract law doesn't take that into account. Could we try to, you know, look at the actual content of the case before rushing to judgement?

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    the huff's might own the copyright or maybe the waltons do.

i don't really think we are being told the whole story.
    often times stories are skewed one way or the other
    and it is hard to tell ... as ntenny said it might have been
    work for hire and if that is the case ( and the waltons can prove it )
    then the huff's don't own anything but seeing the waltons offered the $2K
    its almost like they know the images aren't owned by them and they
    hope bob's studio doesn't have a clue.

sounds almost like the auntie annie's cookies recipe urban legend/tommy pamela lee video
    next thing you will see is every negative, print and proof taken will be on
    a ghost server in the malaysia and googlebombed so everyone in the world can/will download the images.
    the only problem is the whole world will be sick of looking at the walton family about 20sconds after
    they are up on the server ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin