Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,500   Posts: 1,571,633   Online: 1117

Page 39 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2933343536373839
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    Rights belong to the guy who peddles the most film at the highest bid. Where's your ticker? Seen how we Americans are bidding up Chinese stock prices? Gayhoo Finance has stock prices all day long, only a few seconds behind the online trade broker houses. No reason Ratty Mouse can't get in the fight with the big dogs.
    Most likely KA are locked into a distribution contract with just one entity. Certainly Eastman Kodak and its various subsidiaries were. As China is so huge, there might be more than one.

That certainly is the case with Ilford and most countries - one authorized importing distributor per country. Any one else who tries to buy from the source and sell into the retail market will be inducing a breach of contract, and be liable to be shut down.

Remember "grey market" merchandise. You don't see much of that anymore, because the distributors are very effective at controlling access to "brick and mortar" outlets.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Most likely KA are locked into a distribution contract with just one entity. Certainly Eastman Kodak and its various subsidiaries were. As China is so huge, there might be more than one.

That certainly is the case with Ilford and most countries - one authorized importing distributor per country. Any one else who tries to buy from the source and sell into the retail market will be inducing a breach of contract, and be liable to be shut down.

Remember "grey market" merchandise. You don't see much of that anymore, because the distributors are very effective at controlling access to "brick and mortar" outlets.
    Matt, you're a straight shooting dude I'm not about to take an issue with. I hasten to remind you of Chicago's apparent longstanding reputation in "gray market" thuggery. China's wide open, and they can kick some serious financial a**.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post

My bottle of Kodak HC-110 says very clearly on the back, "For Sale in USA".

I guess I got a gray market bottle of developer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    My bottle of Kodak HC-110 says very clearly on the back, "For Sale in USA".

I guess I got a gray market bottle of developer.
    You may have.

Unless you bought it from a retailer in the USA.

There is no doubt though that the distribution of analogue photographic materials is woefully deficient - and not just for Kodak products.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Large Format
    It's all "gray market" The whole world is gray market, and the good lord saves. Have some faith, will ya? The US is a partly nationalized economy till we get rid of the Keynsians soon. Supply Side 101. Don't have a heart attack, Kodak film is still being made. It's a skeleton of a survivor, but some meat will grow on those bones.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    RM, sorry you don't have 6 weeks but if it makes you feel any better it took me three weeks to shoot the 17 rolls that the photos I posted came from. But 6 days ought to be enjoyable, so enjoy it.

I dunno RM, I can't argue your point, but you seem angry about it by the way I am reading it on the web which is not always effective, certainly not tactile or personal. Let's say that despite how much a company is represented on APUG or not, KA, Fuji or Ilford, that requests, wishes or criticism probably don't make a difference in a business sense and like it or not, this is all business for these companies.

I ask my self, what am I trying to prove on here? What is the true value of any of this?....it allows people to express their opinion and or feelings. So it does not really change anything about the future prospects of film because we are not using it or printing it when we are typing here....double edged sword this here Internet.

So where does it go from here?....did it even go anywhere? I don't think so. In being purely self serving, I at least feel better in trying to get you to direct your energy elsewhere, I feel good in sharing some images I worked hard for, maybe they will inspire you or someone else...

But like you, I posted my insights and opinions on here for me.

So RM, for you....where does it go from here?
    I'm logging out again, I'll be back in a couple months to give my opinion on this, maybe show some new images and to remind folks to be positive...
    Last edited by PKM-25; 06-09-2014 at 02:40 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    My comedy doesn't make me laugh, either. Frankly, I'm have no issues of health or impending demise to note, but I still think some things of man will make it to heaven with him in that day. And lots of Kodak Film will be available for us photgos to shoot pictures of the gold-paved streets, or whatever. I don't stock film in freezers or bullets in drawers.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin