Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,557   Posts: 1,545,179   Online: 1068

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    The thwack means vibration.
    Is it not the case that the energy being disapated as noise "thwack" is not being disapated as vibrational energy?
    The louder the noise the less vibration perhaps.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/red_eyes_man/

Photographer not a job description - a diagnosis.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Livsey View Post
    Is it not the case that the energy being disapated as noise "thwack" is not being disapated as vibrational energy?
    The louder the noise the less vibration perhaps.
    What causes the thwack sound? I would have thought the louder the sound the greater the vibration.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What causes the thwack sound? I would have thought the louder the sound the greater the vibration.
    The thwack sound is the mirror coming down after the shutter has closed. Therefore there is no vibration effects on the photograph except in the minds of the Hasselblad haters.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    The thwack sound is the mirror coming down after the shutter has closed. Therefore there is no vibration effects on the photograph except in the minds of the Hasselblad haters.
    I have a Hasselblad and don't hate them, but in terms of physics is what I'm saying incorrect?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a Hasselblad and don't hate them, but in terms of physics is what I'm saying incorrect?
    I was responding with the cause of the thwack, and I was not commenting on the physics. I think we should sit down and drink several Martini [the structure of the word is already in the plural form of Matinus] and talk about this over grilled Pacific salmon. Besides anyone who owns and uses Hasselblad is a wise and fortunate person.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A long history of compelling images. But it also reminds me how it's become a bit unfortunate that Leica users today have been for the most part reduced to well-heeled hobbyists who are concerned primarily about resolution and 'bokeh' and 'lens renderings' etc..

Leica has designed some excellent optics over the decades that are wonderfully small, and their film cameras are indeed robust and very portable. But again, the current trend seems to be a desire for the much more expensive and exotic lens formulas with the belief that the the lenses themselves will actually make or break a photograph (which then becomes the rationale for spending big money on those lenses.) The photographers from that video (and other recognized artists using Leica over history) were concerned first and foremost with the content and context of the images that the Leica produced, and not so much the device itself or the 'rendering characteristics' and 'bokeh' of the lenses (aside from choosing the focal lengths that worked for them.)

I've always been curious about the obsession with 'resolution' and the desire for a recording 'perfection' by the device itself that seems to be such a priority these days. Any of those images discussed in that video would never pass the muster of today's technically oriented hobbyist. And yet that very same technically minded individual would freely admit that the content of those images are indeed compelling and that they are worthy photographs. Which should remind them that an obsession with achieving 'technical perfection' is for the most part some kind of Sisyphean task.

Anyway, I personally think the Leica is a pretty good tool (since it works for me.) I've been using film Leicas for a long time, but it happened only because I was given one to use for a year by a photographer who had hired me to do her gardening as a summer job. The camera turned out to fit me well and so I started a long term relationship with Leica. But they are a device that makes an image. There is no 'mystique' about them nor do they posses any supernatural abilities. We all know making a photograph comes from the mind; the device is simply something that facilitates (or doesn't facilitate) the process of making an image. Those 'mystical' characteristics always being mentioned are just part of the mythology which gets promoted by the manufacturer (and a reminder that we need to be invested more in the photographer him/herself and the images, and not the camera they used.) I guess this is my dislike about the current Leica AG. They emphasize the past pretty heavily and yet their current business plan has no real connection to that past; it's become a marketing strategy.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Película View Post
    The photographers from that video (and other recognized artists using Leica over history) were concerned first and foremost with the content and context of the images that the Leica produced, and not so much the device itself or the 'rendering characteristics' and 'bokeh' of the lenses (aside from choosing the focal lengths that worked for them.)

Those 'mystical' characteristics always being mentioned are just part of the mythology which gets promoted by the manufacturer (and a reminder that we need to be invested more in the photographer him/herself and the images, and not the camera they used.) I guess this is my dislike about the current Leica AG. They emphasize the past pretty heavily and yet their current business plan has no real connection to that past; it's become a marketing strategy.
    You are correct and I would like to think that many of us still think that we are concerned first and foremost with the content and context of the image. But in some cases a Leica could be the best tool for the job in hand, just as a Stradivarius violin maybe for a virtuoso to play a particular type of music, so why not use it.

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    As someone that mostly uses plastic cameras and instant I often fondly see Leica users as the equivalent of the military's special forces with well oiled shiny durable cameras that look nice but also perform brilliantly.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    I was responding with the cause of the thwack, and I was not commenting on the physics. I think we should sit down and drink several Martini [the structure of the word is already in the plural form of Matinus] and talk about this over grilled Pacific salmon. Besides anyone who owns and uses Hasselblad is a wise and fortunate person.
    I'm in.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin