Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,648   Posts: 1,623,392   Online: 1211

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Película View Post
    Or maybe eventually you can separate out links that are community and non-profit based and others that promote film but are commercial. There's nothing wrong at all with what the filmisnotdead person is doing, and he does bring more awareness to film which is great. But it is a commercial venture.

And yeah, think globally and act locally is a good mantra in respect to everything we do as citizens.

Anyway, good luck with your efforts. (btw, have you contacted Freestyle as a potential supporter? I realize that they are California based, but they are very much involved with education here and promote the use of film to schools, and colleges/universities http://www.freestylephoto.biz/students-and-educators)
    Wow thanks fro the freestyle tip! Will contact them ! We're filling the wiki as fast as possible..
    Jesse - 21 years - Belgium
    Leica M6 - Carl Zeiss Sonnar 50/1.5 T*
    Mamiya 645 Pro TL - Sekor 80/2.8 N & 45/2.8 N
    Cambo 4x5" - Schneider Kreuznach Symmar 150/5.6
    www.jessestr.be

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessestr View Post
    And if you don't like the idea, go back to your old mans chair. We're young, we like to evolve, take things further, technology allows us too. Let us do what we like to do. There is plenty of people who actually want something like this. We've found lots of contributors already. So stop being a bored old man. Go out and shoot.
    Just a gentle hint. Probably best not to alienate your target demographic.

"Old men" not your target?

Well, today we are dealing with only the teeniest, tiniest sliver of what once was an enormous world-wide market of products and interest. Everyone, who still has an interest in film-based photography should be your target. Besides, those "old men" and women are where the overwhelmingly vast majority of surviving film-based expertise lives.

Tribalism is no longer an option, if you still want to be doing this a few years from now.

Ken

(taking a small break between 4x5 developing runs in his fully-equipped darkroom...)
    "There is very limited audience for the arty stuff, and it is largely comprised of other arty types, most of whom have no money to spend because no one is buying their stuff either. More people bring their emotions to an image than bring their intellect. The former are the folks who have checkbooks because they are engineers, accountants, and bankers—and generally they are engineers, accountants and bankers because they are not artists."

— Amanda Tomlin, Looking Glass Magazine, 2014

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Old men are allowed They have the most experienced after all.. I ment grumpy old man.
    We accept anything film related (except lomography , enough sites with information about that). It's just sad to see people giving comments like this on positive NEW ideas.

I welcome you all
    www.jessestr.be

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Jesse,

Well you seem not to know what these old men have been doing and still are doing. All materials manufactured today are made by old men. Several of them are fellows here at Apug. They are the ones who made decisive initiaves. When there even was less market than now.

Some of those old men got grumpy because their efforts have not been honoured. And because they have to face harsh figures. Figures hard to be challenged by some new emerging markets.

I appreciate the new projects and the new enthusiasm going on. But I'm very sceptic about a new platform being started in utmost rudimentary form to say the least, and then asking those old men to make something out of it.

Or think of the idea by two young women to start a industry museum in Samobor. A project nothing substantial about had been brought forward. But a great lot of talking and "likes". Meanwhile the two behind that initiative don't even reply when asked about their project at their very own site.
    Last edited by AgX; 06-01-2014 at 08:15 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The platform isn't made FOR the old folks who know already everything, but for the new younger folks that want to get in touch with film photography. This should be pretty obvious...
    And I honor everyone's effort to bring more life in film photography. I just don't like comments like yours being "skeptical" about it. And yes I know you have the right to say it, but saying that won't do anything good... You could also help or just say nothing. But that's what I'm thinking.
    www.jessestr.be

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, I helped by correcting your errors. Do not expect further help.

My scepticism is about another initiave having a bad start and then going into agony or being not useful because it is not well maintained. Such a site would be anything but beneficial for an ignorant person seeking information.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    You can access the wiki without Facebook.
    www.jessestr.be

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    What is this Facebook of which you speak? I do not do social media. Is there another way?
    You could try unsocial media!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Another online community isn't really going to help revive film )and darkroom) use. What's really needed is a more practical initiative to get people involved more directly. This needs to engage all ages including the very young by letting them see the photographic process in use.

An example of the wrong approach is a museum (world heritage site) with a Victorian village and one building is a photographers studio, plenty of nice old plate cameras and lenses (including large portrait cameras) and they get kids & adults dressed up in period costumes and take their photos (at a fee). This is done digitally but why not have a demonstration darkroom and let them see the process.

The Harman Local Darkroom idea is great, I signed up, however we need to get more people into these darkrooms. I had intended to utilise the local college darkroom for some film photography workshops but when the technician retired they closed as no-one their was capable of running it.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The best way I've found to promote film use is to be seen in public shooting film, and be affable. I field a lot of questions when I'm out and about with my cameras. Most asked question is, "can you still get 120 film?" and "where can it be purchased?" I hand out film on occasion, just to get people started, and I develope it for them. There are a lot of young folks using film in cameras I've given away (picked up at yard sales and flea mkts)and demos given at 4H and the high school art dept. I've been asked to hold a month long LF demo at a near by state park visitor center. My advice to the OP--be visible, and be properly informed
    Rick Allen
    Argentum aevum

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin