Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,516   Posts: 1,543,733   Online: 884

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Stone, 375 homes represents about a 50% or more increase in population. More traffic, more noise, more stress on infrastructure. Take a look at Mobberly in Google Earth view and compare to the pdf of the development. The new development is replacing a half-empty factory with fairly dense housing.
    “You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Where I grew up (Los Angeles) developers often put 375 homes on a single postage-stamp-sized lot...

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    Where I grew up (Los Angeles) developers often put 375 homes on a single postage-stamp-sized lot...

Ken
    Yeah, I've live nearly all my adult life in well-planned, fast-growing suburbs. It works pretty well when infrastructure is put in first, but not so fast as to outpace the tax base. The Ilford factory development though, is on a little 2-lane road out in the countryside. There's even one of those little red phone booths at the corner. Man, it's a pretty area.
    “You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Harman Technology plans for site redevelopment

Quote Originally Posted by pbromaghin View Post
    Stone, 375 homes represents about a 50% or more increase in population. More traffic, more noise, more stress on infrastructure. Take a look at Mobberly in Google Earth view and compare to the pdf of the development. The new development is replacing a half-empty factory with fairly dense housing.
    But the housing increase doesn't mean populous increase, the people already living near the factory would most likely move into the new homes, that's where they abandonment issue of the other older houses comes into play that I mentioned.

Either way we will sit back and watch

It's possible ilford has plans for creating additional products in the new factory that require more workers, but that's internal knowledge I'm sure.
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    But the housing increase doesn't mean populous increase, the people already living near the factory would most likely move into the new homes, that's where they abandonment issue of the other older houses comes into play that I mentioned.
    Here in Europe new house on the countryside means new, added population.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pbromaghin View Post
    Yeah, I've live nearly all my adult life in well-planned, fast-growing suburbs. It works pretty well when infrastructure is put in first, but not so fast as to outpace the tax base. The Ilford factory development though, is on a little 2-lane road out in the countryside. There's even one of those little red phone booths at the corner. Man, it's a pretty area.
    They have a working phone booth???!!! Wow!!! I've always wanted to take a picture of a phone booth, and do a model shoot in one, but I can't find one anywhere near me, I've not seen one since I was a kid...
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's possible ilford has plans for creating additional products in the new factory that require more workers, but that's internal knowledge I'm sure.

In the current plant only 1/10 of the original number of employees are at work.
    "This coupled with changes in consumer demand for HARMAN’s products require the company to reshape their
    operations"

I consider such consolidation of downsizing more likely than re-building for a future growth.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's not like they are merely trading up. People will move there from outside of Mobberly. Even if people move from an old to new house withing the area, people from other areas will move into the older homes.

There is little manufacturing where I live. Most of my city is like a large apartment complex for people who work in neighboring communities. You have larger houses and lots, a nice "rural" feel even though it's merely suburban, and lower prices than equivalent homes in a more populated area. Don't get me wrong, we have businesses in my city, but not nearly enough to support the number of people who live there. Most of the residents work in other communities. I personally commute 23 miles every day to work in Cleveland, and have no desire to live in Cleveland.
    Truzi

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Truzi View Post
    It's not like they are merely trading up. People will move there from outside of Mobberly. Even if people move from an old to new house withing the area, people from other areas will move into the older homes.

There is little manufacturing where I live. Most of my city is like a large apartment complex for people who work in neighboring communities. You have larger houses and lots, a nice "rural" feel even though it's merely suburban, and lower prices than equivalent homes in a more populated area. Don't get me wrong, we have businesses in my city, but not nearly enough to support the number of people who live there. Most of the residents work in other communities. I personally commute 23 miles every day to work in Cleveland, and have no desire to live in Cleveland.
    Your second paragraph answers my retort to your first paragraph.

I do not believe there will be enough jobs in such a small area for there to be new people moving into the old houses, they will become abandoned and the town may suffer unless some other business or employment opportunity comes into the town/village.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Your second paragraph answers my retort to your first paragraph.

I do not believe there will be enough jobs in such a small area for there to be new people moving into the old houses, they will become abandoned and the town may suffer unless some other business or employment opportunity comes into the town/village.
    If my understanding is correct, areas like Mobberly have more people wanting homes than there are homes available. So an additional 375 homes will most likely mean an increase in population.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin