Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,683   Posts: 1,548,531   Online: 889

Page 1 of 11 1234567 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format

Harman Technology plans for site redevelopment

Not to worry, the factory's not closing. But perhaps Simon can tell us more about what sort of reconfiguration might be entailed as far as the main coating line is concerned:

http://www.knutsfordguardian.co.uk/n...ed_to_council/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Dear Oren,

The story tells the story......

We will have a new and upgraded factory, be able to do all the things we do now, coating, finishing R&D and be able to continue to 'rightsize' for the future of silver based photography and the other things we do.

As people you have been on the ILFORD tours in the past will tell you, the factory as it is now ( and actually since the early 1990's ) is far, far too big and needs maintaining and heating, this will further improve our profitability as well as our carbon footprint.

We have always planned a smaller footprint, hopefully this will now happen over the next few years.

Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology LImited :

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Overview of the proposed redevelopment: Consultation.pdf

Anything that secures the long term future of the Harman site must be a good thing for all concerned.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Simon, yes it struck me on the tour how out-sized the buildings were or are compared to what seemed to be the size of your operation.

Tom

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    This looks to me like an excellent development. I like the spin-off community benefits, the fact that the housing density is quite low (realise a higher density means more £££ for the developer, so there is an element of pragmatism here) and as potential brownfield site development it fits exactly with the government strategy to build more houses to take some pressure off the market where demand outstrips supply.

I note from the news article, there is the usual "we object to anything/everything" pressure group "Residents against Mobberley Sprawl" that seem to spring up whenever anyone plans anything (we've just had the same in our village which is a similar size to Mobberley), and sometimes these groups have a point when some developers push a little to hard into green belt, but here where a brownfield site is planned for redevelopment, I suggest they haven't a hope of stopping it, and rather than hiring a planning lawyer (!!) they should find better uses for any funds they have at hand!

This is really exciting for the longevity of B&W, because operating from a new building purpose-made for the present market undoubtedly brings efficiencies and opens opportunities that are restricted by the present buildings, which are less than ideal, as we saw on the tour.

All the best and good luck!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Smart move. I should switch to Ilford film.
    Jesse - 21 years - Belgium
    Leica M6 - Carl Zeiss Sonnar 50/1.5 T*
    www.jessestr.be

Shooter
    35mm
    It sounds like a practical, well thought out move to help assure the future. Good, hopefully FP4+ will be around until I head for the next universe, or whatever happens then.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Harman Technology plans for site redevelopment

Quote Originally Posted by hdeyong View Post
    It sounds like a practical, well thought out move to help assure the future. Good, hopefully FP4+ will be around until I head for the next universe, or whatever happens then.
    I still think ilford should think about Delta400-2 in sheet film sizes after the site change

This is great stuff, go ilford! Just prepare for a sudden spike in demand if kodak does down, and stock those bulk master rolls appropriately
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon R Galley View Post
    As people you have been on the ILFORD tours in the past will tell you, the factory as it is now ( and actually since the early 1990's ) is far, far too big and needs maintaining and heating, this will further improve our profitability as well as our carbon footprint.
    I remember it well, and came away with the same impression as Tom's. Plainly it does no good to have to pay the costs of maintaining an excessively large facility.

Given the voodoo involved in coating, one does worry about potential hiccups in the transition, so there will be a big sigh of relief once it is safely completed.

Good luck! I hope you'll be able to keep us posted when major milestones are passed.

UPDATE: Looks as though this had already been mentioned in passing in the March thread on the sale of Kodak Park, which I'd missed (thanks, Sal!). I hope Simon can continue to provide status updates here, as appropriate.
    Last edited by Oren Grad; 06-03-2014 at 10:02 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I will indeed......

Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

Page 1 of 11 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin