Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,450   Posts: 1,570,113   Online: 921

Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast
    AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    From my point of view they indeed aim at the same market. The only difference being production ability and market share.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have been telling people for years that in order for films to continue to be made, the per unit cost will have to rise. We pay more for a lot of things in life because we have to, food, water, housing. But when it comes to film, as Mirko stated even when they raise the price by 5 cents, buying drops to zip.

At some point.....the current old fart, old guard mentality about being entitled to pre-digital era film prices is going to have to come to an end.

Funny how not ONE person on here mentioned just how many times he cited the current bargain prices of film being too low....and for a company to remain healthy enough to continue making the product, they generally are.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    Funny how not ONE person on here mentioned just how many times he cited the current bargain prices of film being too low....and for a company to remain healthy enough to continue making the product, they generally are.
    A post from October 2012...

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well. I did...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have been telling people for years that in order for films to continue to be made, the per unit cost will have to rise.
    True, and I don't mind. I still believe the cost of film is nominal, when you consider what it offers. For 5 bucks, I can take a nice walk in some fresh air, and spend a few hours with a roll of 120. Another hour processing the film, and even more making prints. Even adding the cost of paper/chemicals, it's cheaper than the cost of a good meal, and I have something tangible in the end. I only notice the cost when I place an order. Once it's delivered, I never think about the price.

Maybe there will come a time when I have to choose between food/mortgage/etc. and film. I think it's a long way off, though, so I'll continue on the way I always have.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have been telling people for years that in order for films to continue to be made, the per unit cost will have to rise. We pay more for a lot of things in life because we have to, food, water, housing. But when it comes to film, as Mirko stated even when they raise the price by 5 cents, buying drops to zip.

At some point.....the current old fart, old guard mentality about being entitled to pre-digital era film prices is going to have to come to an end.

i'm willing to pay the extra fee so the manufacturers can stay afloat. how much do we really shoot anyway?
    i can't remember the last time i shot more than a roll a week - i guess this is the situation for 95% of
    hobbyists like me. surely we can handle the cost. and paper - how much do we really print? i'm willing to pay
    premium for my art supply.
    in the stage where i'm at with photography, i need less experimentation - i know what i like and how to get there.
    we have such a great array of products today, that it really is a wonder they still cost so little.
    have fun, be respectful to your craft.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Thing is, a 5% increase doesn't drop demand to zero.
    It drops demand for the reseller that increased the price.

For instance, in European counties most people buy their film online. There are 2 major sites, macodirect.de and fotoimpex.de, wit virtually the same (great) selection of films, chemicals, papers, etc. .
    Let's say the price of TriX at fotoimpex is 5 cents more expensive than macodirect. And the price of some developer 7 cents more expensive, while everything else the same. Not a huge deal, but then macodirect will my order for all the supplies (even films and chemicals with the same price), because I want to combine shipping.

Film and chemicals are mostly a commodity market. There are the few manufacturers making the materials, and then a whole lot of resellers selling the very same products. There's no differentiation or "after sales support" or anything to make you favour one reseller over the other. You'll go with the cheapest available.

Gone are the days that moms and pops would walk into a drugstore or a Walmart, asking generically for "film" for their P&S cameras, paying whatever they were asked and not even knowing what film they bought.
    Now film users are informed, they know the products and their revisions, their rebrandings, etc. .
    They go online, being very specific in their needs, and comparing all available retailers' prices with a couple clicks.

If there's no other alternative, a 5 cents increase will not affect sales perceptibly, if at all.
    But if there's a 5 cents increase in just one reseller, sharp decline is to be expected.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by giannisg2004 View Post
    Gone are the days that moms and pops would walk into a drugstore or a Walmart, asking generically for "film" for their P&S cameras, paying whatever they were asked and not even knowing what film they bought.

Not quite. Especially in the times when there were manufacturer-fixed prices in West-Germany the prices for films and cameras became an issue when "intruders" sold grey-market products for less. This and and the fall of fixed film prices made it a topic even for news-magazines and news-papers.

But of course when doing internet based mail-order shopping prices become more important in chosing a seller.
    However this became an issue for all retail.
    Last edited by AgX; 06-15-2014 at 02:25 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    I still believe the cost of film is nominal, when you consider what it offers. ... Even adding the cost of paper/chemicals, it's cheaper than the cost of a good meal, and I have something tangible in the end. I only notice the cost when I place an order. Once it's delivered, I never think about the price.
    Well said!

Photography has never been an inexpensive hobby. ("Photography is not for the feint of wallet.") However, it is not as expensive as many hobbies.

I wish I had a price list from 40 years ago. Since I do not, I have no way of proving this, but it is my opinion that film may not be much more costly in real dollars than it has ever been. Considering the economies of scale for the manufacturers, that is remarkable. And of course, gear has never been cheaper, so the total cost of doing film and darkroom is substantially less than years ago.

My wife is a painter. I know what she pays for paper, canvas, brushes, and paint. My goodness, what a 2 ounce tube of paint costs!

I used to play golf. Now there's a money pit.

Buy a boat, and get back to me about the price of film ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    Well. I did...
    Thanks for the correction, indeed you did!

Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin