Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,915   Posts: 1,556,365   Online: 1044

Page 1 of 25 123456711 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    35mm
    Very nice interview! Thanks for the heads up!
    Fed 2, 4, 5
    Zenit 11, 12XP
    Olympus OM-1N, OM-2N, OM10, OMG
    A bunch of Nikons

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I love what he said: print it wet!

From what I've seen from my Omega D3, he's absolutely right. Scanning reduces the information in the negative, and badly. It's just the nature of it. Also, it's how to keep the companies in business. They need to sell that paper!

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Learn more about the guy that made that interview and his attitude here:

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum390/...aphy-wiki.html

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There is nothing new from Mirko in that interview, but important how much he stresses taking a longterm view on the economic situation.
    Something seemingly not done by many talking about new ventures and projects.

Another of his points is (at least I read it that way) that not lacking knowledge of film itself is the issue but lacking interest by the (prospective?) consumer to pay a reasonable price for film.
    I still think that online initiaves can have a marketing effect. Unless they in effect rather confuse or mislead people.

A approach of starting selfsustained production for consumers only means much more than "just" reducing production scale.
    So far no manufacturer does so.

Adox is the only enterprise that is aiming at this. I have highest respect for Mirko's decision to do so.
    Last edited by AgX; 06-15-2014 at 03:32 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Mirko made a very good point about making sure the world knows that film is still used. His idea about a small logo "Captured with film" is a terrific idea. Are there any graphics artists out there who are willing to tackle this? Not that I am the worlds greatest photographer, but I would be more than willing to add it as a watermark to my pictures posted on my Picasa account.

As for wet printing, I am looking for a community darkroom in the Allentown/Bethlehem PA area. Ilfords website has nothing listed (yet),but I remain ever hopeful.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Seems like an overtly pessimistic future view of film. All I could think while reading this is that Ilford is "robustly profitable".

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Both Simon and Mirko are involved into selling and making film for many years. Even Mirko is longer in the business than some of us are old. You and me may not draw the same conclusions as him. But the experiences he made in his business should be taken very serious.

If you have followed the Adox business over the years then you have seen that it is only going slowly with its several projects. But steadily. Seemingly following a concept of a long breath.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    Seems like an overtly pessimistic future view of film. All I could think while reading this is that Ilford is "robustly profitable".
    My thought was that ilford should buy Adox so that if they ever have to scale down further they will have a functioning mini-coating machine capable of much smaller scale.

Also so that Rodinal continues uninterrupted (yea yea, I said it). Lol
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    I didn't find it pessimistic, just realistic about what is and isn't feasible in a smaller market.

Adox and Ilford don't really seem to be occupying the same niche in most respects. From past threads on the subject, it kind of seems like Adox trades market scale for flexibility.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Page 1 of 25 123456711 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin