Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,717   Posts: 1,669,941   Online: 1021

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415 LastLast

Northern Territory, Oz - what other option is there?
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    yeah exactly. But how often do you get spoken to derisively by some dork with the latest fantastic digital camera hanging off his neck (it is never a woman who chooses to speak like this, by my experience). "Hey mate, when are you gonna upgrade?" - "Oh probably as soon as I feel like doing it and see a reason to!" That usually shuts them a up a bit.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by M6F6E6 View Post
    But how often do you get spoken to derisively.
    Never. Nobody's ever said anything remotely like that to me, not once.

I simply don't believe this happens to other people as often as some say it does. Or perhaps it happened once or twice a few years ago and they hang on to the resentment like it was some kind of lifebelt ... who knows ... what I do know is that dick-swinging contests are a waste of everybody's time

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pdeeh View Post
    Never. Nobody's ever said anything remotely like that to me, not once.

I simply don't believe this happens to other people as often as some say it does. Or perhaps it happened once or twice a few years ago and they hang on to the resentment like it was some kind of lifebelt ... who knows ... what I do know is that dick-swinging contests are a waste of everybody's time
    Happens to me anytime I shoot in public, it's going to happen, it's inevitable, but it's annoying. Even the subtle talk is wearing on me, the "do they still make film?" Yes "but why? Isn't it a pain?" I like it "but digital is so much easier..." Uh huh "where can you even sell that too? Why don't you go digital so you can do weddings" walk away...

It's ok the first time, but because it happens every time I think my perception is that it's aggressive and demoralizing and I would guess that even subtle questions like that SEEM more aggressive because some of us get them so often.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Happens to me anytime I shoot in public, it's going to happen, it's inevitable, but it's annoying. Even the subtle talk is wearing on me, the "do they still make film?" Yes "but why? Isn't it a pain?" I like it "but digital is so much easier..." Uh huh "where can you even sell that too? Why don't you go digital so you can do weddings" walk away...

It's ok the first time, but because it happens every time I think my perception is that it's aggressive and demoralizing and I would guess that even subtle questions like that SEEM more aggressive because some of us get them so often.
    how is asking "if they still sell film for that" .. "digital is much easier" .. " why don't you get a digital camera so you can do weddings" ... &c "demoralizing and aggressive"
    its like suggesting when people ask " is that a hasselblad" it is an insult ...

people who don't see film users or know you can still get and use film &c because they were told
    it doesn't exist anymore
    are just asking simple questions because they want to know ...
    i get asked questions like that all the time, and have never thought it was demoralizing or insulting ...

" you take a picture of me i'll break your arm and you don't want to know what i will do to that camera " is different

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    how is asking "if they still sell film for that" .. "digital is much easier" .. " why don't you get a digital camera so you can do weddings" ... &c "demoralizing and aggressive"
    its like suggesting when people ask " is that a hasselblad" it is an insult ...

people who don't see film users or know you can still get and use film &c because they were told
    it doesn't exist anymore
    are just asking simple questions because they want to know ...
    i get asked questions like that all the time, and have never thought it was demoralizing or insulting ...

" you take a picture of me i'll break your arm and you don't want to know what i will do to that camera " is different
    If I asked you "why do you shoot a long exposure handheld? You would get much better images with a digital on auto mode" would you not subtly hear the distain? It's the same for these people, they look down on film, and over time, it wears on you...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When asked why I still shoot film (with the dismissive attitude mentioned), I've come up with an answer:
    "Because my photographs aspire to be more than snapshots, and I want to have a tactile involvement in their creation." Shuts 'em right up...

But, when I'm approached out of curiosity (rather than a dismissive attitude), I'll take the time to talk about my film use more fully. I'll take a Film Ambassador approach- yes, it's still available... cameras/darkroom equipment can be purchased cheaply... there's a different sense of accomplishment producing an image in a darkroom than on a monitor... People who ask about my choice to use film, with respect, are answered in kind.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    When asked why I still shoot film (with the dismissive attitude mentioned), I've come up with an answer:
    "Because my photographs aspire to be more than snapshots, and I want to have a tactile involvement in their creation." Shuts 'em right up...

But, when I'm approached out of curiosity (rather than a dismissive attitude), I'll take the time to talk about my film use more fully. I'll take a Film Ambassador approach- yes, it's still available... cameras/darkroom equipment can be purchased cheaply... there's a different sense of accomplishment producing an image in a darkroom than on a monitor... People who ask about my choice to use film, with respect, are answered in kind.
    Stealing this...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    If I asked you "why do you shoot a long exposure handheld? You would get much better images with a digital on auto mode" would you not subtly hear the distain? It's the same for these people, they look down on film, and over time, it wears on you...
    i don't hear distain, from people asking me about digital camera use,
    but more about snarky film users who think they are "all that" ....

its not digital users who tend to be dopes it is people who use film

btw. i use a digital camera and enjoy using a digital camera.
    Last edited by jnanian; 07-12-2014 at 01:49 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've gotten some nasty comments because I use film. Not all of them, but enough. However, they seem to be waning the past couple years.
    Truzi

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I've never faced any derisive comments out in the field for shooting film. Usually people are interested, if they say anything.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin