Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,826   Posts: 1,582,054   Online: 787

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've gotten some nasty comments because I use film. Not all of them, but enough. However, they seem to be waning the past couple years.
    Truzi

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I've never faced any derisive comments out in the field for shooting film. Usually people are interested, if they say anything.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    how is asking "if they still sell film for that" .. "digital is much easier" .. " why don't you get a digital camera so you can do weddings" ... &c "demoralizing and aggressive"
    These are all phrases that imply that the film shooter sort of missed the invention of digital cameras or is somehow incapable to make the "proper" decision to switch. So yes, I would consider these statements slightly aggressive/demeaning, and if heard multiple times, demoralizing. These people neither know nor inquire about the film shooter's body of work, history and reasons for choosing that medium, but somehow feel compelled to dish out pointless advice in a condescending tone.

The good thing is that there are quite a few things that digital shooters feel insecure about, so it's quite easy to throw mud that will stick in their direction.
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    sorry i still don't see how asking if you can still get film for a film camera is demoralizing
    or how someone asking such questions is aggressive or harsh ...

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I think it depends on how approachable you are, if you look like aqualung, they might just leave you alone... Lol! Maybe that's the trick! Need to dress up like a bumb and smell like one too!
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Actually had a conversation with a neighbor about film, as he saw me carrying a box of film and was "Wow, you still do film? Do you have to buy it online?"

Had a nice 20 min talk about filming and the concert he was going to. Online I had a few people like "When will you join the digital age" then they look at my photos and they shut up. Not that my photos are world beaters, just that they are a step above snap shots.

Then a lot of people think its cool that I do black and white and they fondly remember taking it in high school or college and learning how to develop film. In fact, the only time I been harassed by shooting was one person who thought I was trust-passing (I was on public right of way, but it wasn't worth fighting over).

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    <<nevermind>>
    Last edited by jnanian; 07-12-2014 at 09:12 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: not worth the effort of responding to

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    sorry i still don't see how asking if you can still get film for a film camera is demoralizing
    or how someone asking such questions is aggressive or harsh ...
    It all depends how the question if phrased. Asking "Where can you get film for this camera?", or stating "I didn't know you can still get film for this camera" is one thing. But asking "You still can get film for this camera???", while this camera is obviously in use with suitable film, contains quite a bit of condescension of the "I can't believe people still use this old junk" or the "give it another year and you'll be SOL with your camera" type. Such "inquiries" are particularly annoying because I don't think Stone asked any of these people for purchasing recommendations or advice in general.

Imagine how you would react if someone responded to your prints with "Are you really trying to sell these???" vs. "Are these for sale?" ...
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

Shooter
    35mm
    I was approached by a young lady during or town's fourth of July parade. The first question out of her mouth was "How old is that camera?" I was shooting the Debonair at the time. I told her it is probably older than me. She asked if the photos it took looked vintage. I said yes. I was not offended at all.

People here diss Instagram, however, I think we have the ability to get square pictures at local photo finishing places because of its existence and insistence on square pictures. Even though I myself do not have an Instagram account, long live Instagram!
    ME Super

Shoot more film.
    There are eight ways to put a slide into a projector tray. Seven of them are wrong.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm with Rudeofus and Stone - it's not usually the actual words, it's the tone in which they're delivered. And I got that attitude more from people in camera clubs than on the street / in the woods.
    But I have seen some interesting work on deviantArt from people who might be considered hipsters. And I've seen boring work from all types.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin