Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,700   Online: 905

Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 378910111213141516 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    YAWN
    Last edited by jnanian; 07-14-2014 at 10:02 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Getting back on topic, I wonder how much film the Holga's and Lomos ate that where fresh film that kept companies going, or old expired films bought for cheap. I am the first to say that I do not know the answer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    ... because I'm one who enjoys using an "arthur fellig" camera out in public.

so you gain some weight, wear high waisted pants, (pulled halfway up your chest)
    a wide tie, probably spats, a hat, half chewed cigar in your mouth and greased back hair
    when you go out with your camera ?
    that is the weegee look i am talking about, not just taking photographs with a press camera.

seeing your profile picture i wouldn't imagine you being
    able to pull the look i was talking about off
    if you can and do pull it off... more power to ya ...
    Last edited by jnanian; 07-15-2014 at 03:25 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Zedwardson View Post
    Getting back on topic, I wonder how much film the Holga's and Lomos ate that where fresh film that kept companies going, or old expired films bought for cheap. I am the first to say that I do not know the answer.
    I am curious about that as well. I know I personally got back into film via a Diana F+, which renewed my love of photography in general. And I know that over the course of the past two years, I've experimented, wasted film, enjoyed films I'd never have used before and I did all of this without being hip or cool or anything. I am just a man who loves photography and the escape it gives me.

And I'd be willing to bet that this forum and forums like it are full of people who've been shooting the same "hip" gear that has come and gone many times as fashion as well as function.

To me, Hipster is no different then Hippy or Preppie. It's just a word used to describe people who are at that moment in time doing a certain thing, whatever that thing is. Has the hipster culture helped keep film alive, I think yes.

Will people waste more precious films as time passes? Yep. Will some of them learn and grow and become photographers who live and breathe the art of photography as a result of trying it as an accessory? Yep.

All the rest of us can do is do what we love and share our love with others and be ourselves.

To this day, I still see what one might call Hipsters out and about and I have NEVER seen one with a camera. I am the one with the camera, me and my friend. And the few film photographers I do see when I am shooting or whatever are usually older gentlemen who have a certain look that they probably have had for a very long time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    stone it seems that a few pages of this thread had tp do with comments people made while you were making photographs .. were you using your 4/5? were they giving you life changing advice and insisting they knew how to
    run your "commercial enterprise" ? or were they just overly curious
    and annoying you because you were busy and didnt want to be chatty
    Last edited by jnanian; 07-15-2014 at 03:47 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Egan View Post
    Well, if beards and tattoos are the price I have to pay to keep film alive then I guess I'll have to keep practicing looking the other way!
    Many of the men at APUG have beards. Perhaps even so APUG women have beards, but I never bothered to check. You are the one who is out of step with the rest of us in APUG.

I think any market expansion that helps film survive is a step in the right direction.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin