Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,860   Posts: 1,583,166   Online: 763

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 48910111213141516 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    Truzi

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Film photography as fashion and the decline of the hipster

to busy consuming film
    Last edited by StoneNYC; 07-15-2014 at 04:51 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: munch
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format

B-E-L-C-H-!!
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Many of the men at APUG have beards.
    My beard is older than most hipsters!
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Truzi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    My beard is older than most hipsters!
    but the question is do you count the age of your beard in dog years ..

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I'm certainly not a hipster--there's no way I'd ever get a tattoo. I still associate them with carnies and ex-cons. However, I have been having fun the past two years using old box cameras. I often do hear, "Can you still get film for that?" I always reply, "No, but I keep using it anyway." Last night I was out with a large Gundlach Korona 5x7 camera taking some photos in a nearby park. I had several people come up and start talking to me about it. They were just interested is all. I've found that when I use one of my classic cameras such as a Leica, Rolleiflex, or Bessa folder it's easier for me to get people to pose for me than when it is when I use my modern Nikon. I find the spirit behind Lomography pretty interesting, actually.

Kent in SD

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    but the question is do you count the age of your beard in dog years ..
    Nope- dude years.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post
    I've found that when I use one of my classic cameras such as a Leica, Rolleiflex, or Bessa folder it's easier for me to get people to pose for me than when it is when I use my modern Nikon.
    Yes, this really was my point too. I call them "novelty" cameras, where the novelty factor is often useful as the initial ice breaker. People who would otherwise be wary and aloof just aren't as threatened by antique or classic cameras. Or, significantly, the photographers who are carrying them.

When acquiring my 4x5 Crown Graphic kit, I made sure that each piece was as close to brand new as possible. And cleaned up those pieces that weren't until they looked like they were. Not because I'm looking for attention. But because I want the camera to generate attention. Participatory portraiture. Not stealth portraiture.

Often the first question asked is "Is that a replica?" "Nope. It's the real deal. A mid-1950s model press camera. Works beautifully." "But it looks brand new!" And at that point I've got 'em hooked.

I do make a point of knowing a little of the history for each camera, and use that as part of my answers to questions. For instance, famous photos made with it that they might recall. Relating interesting stories and anecdotes serves to help put people on a more comfortable peer basis with you. You're simply telling them a fascinating story about a cool-looking old camera.

I do often fib a little by stating that it's a new-to-me camera I'm just trying out. Harmless, and puts people even further at ease, since they're then obviously not the primary "target". Once they are comfortable, you'd be amazed at how many had grandfathers or great uncles that "used one of those" as newspapermen back in the day.

Ken
    Last edited by Ken Nadvornick; 07-15-2014 at 08:50 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Additional clarification...
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Ken, I found the same thing. I can have my Canon (A typical Elan 7) and while people go "nice camera" its not noteworthy.

I took out my new (to me) Yashica-Mat, and I had younger people fall over themselves to look at it.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin