Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,930   Posts: 1,556,893   Online: 929

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If the shop views their reason for being as supplying a market and making a profit, then they will last as long as there is a market.
    But, if the shop exists to be an extension of the owner's fashion sense then maybe they will close up when they get bored and decide to move on to other things.
    So far as I can tell hipster-ism hasn't quite arrived here, but the camera shops are still selling limited supplies, and still operating their C-41 lines.
    But the core market for this stuff existed prior to lomography, and will continue to exist after it fades, at least to some degree or another.
    IMHO

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, I know of the importance of that market.

But... nevertheless I only came across 3 people ever that could have been people having a film camera around because it seems trendy for them.
    I see this as evidence that this is (still?) a very localized fenomenon.

And yes, that fashion factor is of importance for a manufacturer.
    But how predictable is the non-fashion market?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm 47 years old, have been known to buy clothes to match my highly personalized Leica M3, use incredibly unorthodox marketing techniques and find great success in drawing people in that results in either new clients or new users of film, the two being of equal importance to me.

If that makes me a "Hipster" then I am all about it baby!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg  

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    A shop that started out marketing to the Lomography crowd picked up that market, offering a fairly good selection of films, a few kinds of paper, chemicals, used cameras, cyanotype kits, becoming a supplier for photo courses at local universities, an exhibition space, and location for camera swap meets a few times a year. Will they survive the end of the hipster? I hope so.
    I'm less worried about the effect on our supply line from so-called hipsters than I am about "alternative processes". Photographers of all skill levels are abandoning silver printing for other print processes, before going on to wet plate, etc. Then, they all sit around taking nothing but head shots of each other. Perhaps this, too, is just a "fashion" and will pass.* In the meantime, they are not buying film or silver gelatin paper.

I also wouldn't put too much importance on something in The Guardian.

* I have my theories, but that's a whole other thread ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Lets talk about not talking about it.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Hey PKM, shouldn't you have the Leica hanging from your neck in that Cool pic. j

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    +1!

Not only that, some of the work these young people do is far more artistic than the tightly wound up lens and film "tests" often found on this site. Before this era of photography took off, I would have never in a million years guessed the old guard would react the way they have.
    +2

are you doing a crowdsourced funding for production of that leitz nose straw?

Shooter
    35mm

bosom

Anyone who grasps the newbie "Hipster" label to his bosom, ham-handedly enough, is desperately attempting to not be yet another boring dude with a camera but a cool cat, an "other." Some dudes need to get out more.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by snapguy View Post
    Anyone who grasps the newbie "Hipster" label to his bosom, ham-handedly enough, is desperately attempting to not be yet another boring dude with a camera but a cool cat, an "other." Some dudes need to get out more.
    or maybe ... they just are tired of the same old BS so they are doing something different than their peers ...
    i've been called a hipster before ( im nearly 50 ) and an outlier as well because i don't believe with the main-stream is up to and think it is tired and lame.
    labels are a waste of time if you ask me ..

Shooter
    35mm
    I don't know what's a hipster and what's not but I don't feel so good about the state of film today.

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin