Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,995   Posts: 1,524,271   Online: 987

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    People that like film like film whether they are hipsters or not. I think fashion has given a bump to film sales, but over the long term film will slowly go down. Black and white film though will be around for a loooong time. Besides, the film doesn't care whether a person is a hipster or a "serious" photographer anyway. And what exactly is a serious photographer? There are only a few people that actually make a living shooting film at this point. There are a lot of boring pictures done by photographers who are "serious" and a lot of interesting pictures taken by "hipsters".

For anyone using the term hipster disparagingly, just remember that to a young person you are an old fart!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not related to film: am I one of the few who finds it strange that the age-old phenomenon of a particular fashion dieing/changing/evolving is newsworthy? I'm not commenting on the potential this particular group has on film consumption - I understand that part of this thread. Instead, I refer to The Guardian’s (or any news group's) general idea that any particular group falling out of fashion is news.
    Truzi

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Chan Tran View Post
    I don't know what's a hipster and what's not but I don't feel so good about the state of film today.
    Really......?

With all the amazing films we have at still amazing prices?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    I'm 47 years old, have been known to buy clothes to match my highly personalized Leica M3, use incredibly unorthodox marketing techniques and find great success in drawing people in that results in either new clients or new users of film, the two being of equal importance to me.

If that makes me a "Hipster" then I am all about it baby!
    When the heck were you at 5pointz???
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    When the heck were you at 5pointz???
    Book publishing workshop in Brooklyn last Fall...

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Well I think film photographers should have their own fashion line and we could perhaps start with:-

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Ro...0Y%3B402%3B500

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pdeeh View Post
    I'm not sure what purpose it serves to identify other people as "hipsters"; except perhaps to allow "serious photographers" to identify themselves as "serious" in contradistinction to those silly bearded tattooed dilettantes ... it all, sadly, feeds the tendency for derision and contempt of "the others" (those that aren't "us")

it's just taking photographs. we don't need to be tribal about it
    Categorization is tacit admission that variety exists in the universe. Variety is the natural order of things. Without it, there would be no natural selection and we would all still be one-celled organisms slurping the primordial soup.

What I take issue with is people who follow the fad of insisting that everyone and everything in the world is exactly the same. Open your eyes. They are not.

The real problem lies with those who automatically link recognition of variety with discrimination against variety. If I am in a room and a person of differing ethnicity walks in, or differing religion, or differing political party, or differing haircut, I'm not such a dullard as to not notice their differences. Nor am I so ignorant as to be surprised that they do not look or think exactly as I (think) I do.

My only concern lies with the quality of their character. Good people exist in all varieties. So do bad people. Distinguishing between the two requires interacting with them. Not just looking at them. Or wishing them into being exactly like everyone else.

Did it ever occur to you that some "hipsters" (or any other variety of persons) might actually like being referred to as such? That they sense nothing pejorative in the reference? The idea here is to celebrate our diversity, not stick our heads into the sand and deny that it exists.

Just where the heck do you think random distribution bell curves come from?

Ken
    Last edited by Ken Nadvornick; 06-22-2014 at 02:07 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    Will they survive the end of the hipster? I hope so.
    Back to the topic...

Yes, I do worry a bit. Like everything else in our post-digital culture, things change and revolve much faster, including fads and trends. Noted in a different thread is the fact that the brand new technology which killed off the 100+ year old mass film market (dedicated digital P&Ss), are themselves already largely discarded on the scrap heap of history, supplanted by smartphone cameras.

Contrast that with my 1955-model Pacemaker Crown Graphic. If I decode the manufacturer's stamp underneath the focus rail crossbar, it tells me my sample was actually made in May, 1968. It also tells me that it's still an original model 'A' revision. That's 13-years without a single model change.

One thing I've learned is that if you find a product you really like, buy a lifetime supply of it right then and there. In six months it's be remaindered. In a year unobtainable.

So I do worry that "hipster-dom" may in fact wink out at any moment, thus removing a significant slice of whatever sort of post-digital mass market for film we do currently enjoy. I cannot single-handedly make up that slack.

Ken
    Last edited by Ken Nadvornick; 06-22-2014 at 02:13 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    Well I think film photographers should have their own fashion line and we could perhaps start with:-

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Ro...0Y%3B402%3B500
    Come on Clive: http://www.magforum.com/digital_manipulation5.htm and http://www.bbc.co.uk/photography/gen...odchenko.shtml

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    Book publishing workshop in Brooklyn last Fall...
    And you didn't tell me! (Probably did and I was busy). Lol
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin