Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,445   Posts: 1,569,951   Online: 1065

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891014 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I've noticed that the only place in CT that sold Lomography and Holga and Polaroid/Imposisble film brands (Urban Outfitters) has stopped carrying all of it

This is another example that would lead the less knowledgeable to believe that film has "stopped being made".

Also, all those that might have used tbe cameras they got there, no longer know where to go to get film...

They don't know about B&H... Freestyle, etc.

So this does cause an ebb in the sales arena... And there's is a casual effect and link between us and them and both our supply.

I hope this gets resolved somehow.

"The futures not set... There's no fate but what we make for ourselves..."
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    And you didn't tell me! (Probably did and I was busy). Lol
    Workshops are intense, this Fall in Acadia not so much so...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pdeeh View Post
    I'm not sure what purpose it serves to identify other people as "hipsters"; except perhaps to allow "serious photographers" to identify themselves as "serious" in contradistinction to those silly bearded tattooed dilettantes ... it all, sadly, feeds the tendency for derision and contempt of "the others" (those that aren't "us")

it's just taking photographs. we don't need to be tribal about it
    im with you pdeeh
    too much us - them usually for divisive reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    Did it ever occur to you that some "hipsters" (or any other variety of persons) might actually like being referred to as such? That they sense nothing pejorative in the reference?
    it is a negative connotation. you don't need to look far, is the way it is used on THIS site a negative or positive ?
    its like trying to put a positive spin on calling someone a " fashionista lomographer wannabee" or "jackasses with plastic cameras"
    cause that is the way it is usually used, even on this site, and it is not nice.

and if you talk to people who like making and eating food who schmooze with celeb chefs / chefs they will tell you the same thing about the word "foodie", its a negative connotation.
    (yes i know chefs, and people who are involved in the supermarket / celeb-chef / restaurant industries)

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    You can't hold Rodchenko responsible for that manipulation of imagery.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    it is a negative connotation.
    To you, John. Not to me. And neither of us can judge for anyone else. We just got done with this, remember?

Just this last weekend I referred to a 55-something as an "aging hippy". The phrase was offered and received with a smile and a laugh, as a term of endearment.

When choosing up sides in pickup basketball I often heard the phrase, "I'll take the big white guy who can't jump" from players of all races. I'm 6' 6" and 230 lbs. I'm white. And I can't get my feet 6 inches off the damned court. I loved it. And always shot back to the person saying it "Next time I want THAT guy on defense..." There was a good-natured pounding to be paid for that good-natured remark.

It's a big world out there, John. Not everyone takes offense at everything.

Back to the topic...

What further thoughts do you have regarding David's observation?

In a globalized world young (and some not-so-young) people are desperate to differentiate themselves in any way they can (not realizing that they already are different, by definition). Lo-fi film photography was one way to do that when all they knew was clinically perfect boring digital photography.

But how long will that last before they are lured over to the more-shiny Next-Big-Thing? And then another Next-Big-Thing six months later? And what then happens to the rest of us with a longer-term interest in film?

Ken
    Last edited by Ken Nadvornick; 06-22-2014 at 04:43 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ken, do you listen to Beethoven when playing your computer's keyboard...?....vigorously?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No, but I do listen Wagner sometimes in the darkroom...

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    Really......?

With all the amazing films we have at still amazing prices?
    To get my color negative films and or tranparency I have to order online. The nearest store to me is 40 miles and doesn't always have them in stock. There are only a few places around still do processing but a poor job. B&H won't ship me my RA-4 chemicals. And yes there is no PKM-25.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The local Lomography retailer that I'm most familiar with had for the longest time a sign above their Lomography display that read "No Photography Allowed".

They are more of a gift or souvenir store than anything else.

Glazer's in Seattle has a good approach. They have Holga and similar equipment in its own area - displayed in a manner similar to other specialty equipment and supplies. They also sponsor contests and otherwise promote to that portion of the market in a way that would be likely to draw customers into their store, where there are many other film based options.

I think people who are interested in Lomography and the like are extremely unlikely to ask users of roll film cameras the classic question "Can you still get film for that?"

The Large format users - they are on their own .
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    To you,.
    YAWN

maybe you should read some of the nice things people here on apug have to say about "hipsters"

http://www.apug.org/forums/search.php?searchid=3531752
    http://www.apug.org/forums/search.php?searchid=3531754
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/1...lomo-mean.html

--- whatever ...

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891014 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin