Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,877   Online: 939

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101115 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    YAWN...
    And about David's topic?

If the lo-fi film craze ends, there will likely be repercussions in the film marketplace.

What do you think about that?

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Chan Tran View Post
    To get my color negative films and or tranparency I have to order online. The nearest store to me is 40 miles and doesn't always have them in stock. There are only a few places around still do processing but a poor job. B&H won't ship me my RA-4 chemicals. And yes there is no PKM-25.
    The closest photo store to me is 200 miles away over two 12,000 mountain passes, I have had an account with B&H for 18 years, I can choose labs in Denver for my color work or just use Bluemoon or Praus. We lost PKM-25 and KM-25 over a decade ago...

I'm a glass half full kinda guy, but to be fair, I shoot and print 90% black and white.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    And about David's topic?

If the lo-fi film craze ends, there will likely be repercussions in the film marketplace.

What do you think about that?
    I think it is a fruitless excercise to even guess because a number of these folks will stick with film even if they no longer are part of a fad.

When we have something to worry about, then we will have something to worry about...
    Last edited by PKM-25; 06-22-2014 at 10:30 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm retired now and when I was young to be called hip was, well, hip.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    The local Lomography retailer that I'm most familiar with had for the longest time a sign above their Lomography display that read "No Photography Allowed".

They are more of a gift or souvenir store than anything else.

Glazer's in Seattle has a good approach. They have Holga and similar equipment in its own area - displayed in a manner similar to other specialty equipment and supplies. They also sponsor contests and otherwise promote to that portion of the market in a way that would be likely to draw customers into their store, where there are many other film based options.

I think people who are interested in Lomography and the like are extremely unlikely to ask users of roll film cameras the classic question "Can you still get film for that?"

The Large format users - they are on their own .
    Tell me you didn't get a shot of that sign in it's context...
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Tell me you didn't get a shot of that sign in it's context...
    I'm just not as much of a Rebel as you are Stone - no photograph, I am afraid.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    I'm just not as much of a Rebel as you are Stone - no photograph, I am afraid.
    Such a classic opportunity... Well, such is life... it's ok not everyone can break the rules like me...
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Sorry for the OT, but since film photographers fashion was mentioned, I think that this is what I prefer:

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    I'm retired now and when I was young to be called hip was, well, hip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdcHzquaMh8

Actually it was Apug where I came across the term Hipster. It was only last year that I first heard it being used in Germany.

I am still not quite sure what it means. I guess I myself am considered a nerd. Another of these terms...

EDIT: does Hippie come from being hip?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sometimes we need to laugh at ourselves... It's not just in the film world.
    http://youtu.be/en5z-Q4po4M
    http://www.tonyeganphotography.com/index.html
    "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." Groucho Marx

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdcHzquaMh8

Actually it was Apug where I came across the term Hipster. It was only last year that I first heard it being used in Germany.

I am still not quite sure what it means. I guess I myself am considered a nerd. Another of these terms...

EDIT: does Hippie come from being hip?

As I recall and it was long ago when I still had hair, "hip" came before hippie. I never wanted to be a hippie. They were conformists - with each other. But "hip", yes. Hip=cool, with it, not square, different, away from the maddening crowd, non-conformist, and certainly not like my parents! Now that I'm retired living in a 55+ retired community, I was asked how I like it. I told them it's like hanging out with your grandparents! Definitely not "hip".

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin