Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,521   Posts: 1,572,240   Online: 845

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    And about David's topic?

If the lo-fi film craze ends, there will likely be repercussions in the film marketplace.

What do you think about that?

Ken

what do i think about that?

ummm ... maybe there are better things to worry about ?
    Last edited by jnanian; 06-23-2014 at 03:49 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    +1!

Not only that, some of the work these young people do is far more artistic than the tightly wound up lens and film "tests" often found on this site. Before this era of photography took off, I would have never in a million years guessed the old guard would react the way they have.
    Thank you. x1000

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Based on almost nothing at all, I don't think the film business as a whole is life-and-death dependent on the "hipster" crowd.[1] Lomography, sure, they're a cultural niche market and if shifting fashions destroy the niche they're in trouble. But I don't think Adox and Ilford are dependent on that niche; and sheet film, which is at least making enough money that people keep making the stuff, can't possibly be selling to casual users, can it?

Over-the-counter retail of film supplies is in trouble, which is a pain in the neck but I should think no surprise. (Hell, over-the-counter retail *everything* is in trouble.) But selling mainly online isn't an existential threat to the manufacturers, and it seems like a significant win in availability for those of us who don't live in major cities. Twenty years ago, how easy would it have been to get a box of 9x12 sheet film from some obscure manufacturer in the Czech Republic to Way Beyond Nowhere, Wyoming?

Tempest in a teapot, IMHO. And the article is just a couple of peels shy of an Onion in its level of navel-gazing.

-NT

[1] It's a term of contempt for a lot of people here, but I don't think that's universal. Among the actual younger folk with beards and tattoos and intentionally-obscure musical taste[2], it might be a little reductive but it doesn't seem to be fighting words.

[2] Some of that stuff is damn good, by the way. If you get a chance to see the terrifically named band ...And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead live, don't miss it.
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    "obscure" is not the right term when it is actually about the ignorance if the potential buyer in Way Beyond Nowhere, Wyoming.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As someone who's interested in photography, all I can say that hipsters as they are called, make much more interesting photo subjects than a generic so called photographer would.

And like someone mentioned, some stuff coming out of the lomo cameras and hipsters is very creative.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by pdeeh View Post
    There we go, exactly what I'm saying.

Pavlov could have made a case-study from APUG.

Another thread for the ignore button ...
    Hahaha. That was funny.
    Last edited by Jessestr; 06-23-2014 at 08:30 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Jesse - 21 years - Belgium
    Leica M6 - Carl Zeiss Sonnar 50/1.5 T*
    www.jessestr.be

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I'm actually a fan of the Lomography phenomenon, though I know that not everyone here is, and I can't deny that analogue photography has many subcultures.

Clearly, though, there's a market that dictates that Lomography stuff is being sold in non-photographic places like Urban Outfitter, which is great for now, but isn't going to last, and places like that wouldn't be selling cameras, if they weren't moving a significant quantity of product by their standards, which I suspect are fairly high.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    I'm actually a fan of the Lomography phenomenon, though I know that not everyone here is, and I can't deny that analogue photography has many subcultures.

Clearly, though, there's a market that dictates that Lomography stuff is being sold in non-photographic places like Urban Outfitter, which is great for now, but isn't going to last, and places like that wouldn't be selling cameras, if they weren't moving a significant quantity of product by their standards, which I suspect are fairly high.
    Someone earlier in this thread claimed that one Urban Outfitter location (in CT) had already stopped carrying Lomo stuff. I've never been in one (in WA), so I don't know. I kicked around buying one of those Belairs just for fun, but then realized I could have a Sekonic L398A meter for less.

Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever seen one of those Lomo cameras shown on their website out in the wild. Probably due to my age group.

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I think the sales numbers we've had shared with us show that trendy twentysomethings aren't driving film sales singlehandedly. Kodak reported a 15% increase in pro film sales last year, and I can assure you that most of these kids are not loading Portra 800 into their Holgas. They buy Lomo branded film, they buy expired stuff on eBay, or they buy whatever's cheapest. 9/10 times I ask someone with a Lomo camera or an AE1 what they have loaded, they can't even give me an answer.

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    The Lawrence Welk show re runs are still on the air. "Hipsters" and their beloved Lomos exhibit "discovery of photography" . Also, for some there is a " gee whiz" factor. The little plastic cameras have shown they can be a very creative tool, as can a paint brush and an aerosol spray can.
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT]

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin