Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,141   Online: 888

Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    Someone earlier in this thread claimed that one Urban Outfitter location (in CT) had already stopped carrying Lomo stuff. I've never been in one (in WA), so I don't know. I kicked around buying one of those Belairs just for fun, but then realized I could have a Sekonic L398A meter for less.

Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever seen one of those Lomo cameras shown on their website out in the wild. Probably due to my age group.

Ken
    That was me, yup I used to be able to buy impossible integral film, 110, 35mm and 120 film, as well as Lomography and Holga cameras in 35mm and 120 format as well as a short "movie" camera that shot a few seconds of frames from a 35mm film canister, odd right? lol

About a year ago I noticed stock dwindling and even the one in New York (urban outfitters), at least one of the locations, in Manhattan, had low stock and the sales lady said they were cutting back.

I stopped in the CT one 2 months ago and NO film at all but a few on the clearance peg board hooks.

All replaced by various record players and albums and tape decks and CD's so they are into the music scene of the hipster crowd now.

Cyclical.
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markaudacity View Post
    I think the sales numbers we've had shared with us show that trendy twentysomethings aren't driving film sales singlehandedly. Kodak reported a 15% increase in pro film sales last year, and I can assure you that most of these kids are not loading Portra 800 into their Holgas. They buy Lomo branded film, they buy expired stuff on eBay, or they buy whatever's cheapest. 9/10 times I ask someone with a Lomo camera or an AE1 what they have loaded, they can't even give me an answer.
    The increase in pro film may be due to the decrease in available expired stock, yes there will always be "expired stock" but the last of the big chunks of older expired emulsions are sort of lessened and the remaining expired stock is from emulsions which are still being made.

That's just a guess of course, but I've noticed a trend on eBay and there's less of the old stock out there.
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Hi

I've a dedicated Lomo shop next to where I shoot on Sundays.

Open 11:00 till 19:00 local DST on Sunday, where I came from they padlocked playground swings on Sundays.

Pretty full range of cameras colours etc, film rack, mini lab (c41) and 'fine art' exhibit, not my style but not lomo either! eg FSU pano etc.

If they have free schedule on lab they will do a same day service- on Sunday.

(The local Sunday pharmacy also has 35mm film but no 120.)

They did not have a demo Russar yet!

Lomos are still in street use mainly trendies, though spotted an oldster with Lubitel I asked 'ebay?' 'no Lomo'!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Lomography had done many nice things in my opinion - I am waiting for couple of years and then I will buy some used nikon mount petzval, without them this would not be possible.
    LC-A wide is also nice camera, not my thing, but for sure is nice, then reborn of russar, Belair camera... who knows, maybe they will even make good and cool looking instax wide camera.

EDIT: I see now Belair had instax wide back ... I want this :o

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by darkosaric View Post
    Lomography had done many nice things in my opinion - I am waiting for couple of years and then I will buy some used nikon mount petzval, without them this would not be possible.
    LC-A wide is also nice camera, not my thing, but for sure is nice, then reborn of russar, Belair camera... who knows, maybe they will even make good and cool looking instax wide camera.

EDIT: I see now Belair had instax wide back ... I want this :o
    i couldn't agree with you more about lomography.
    they have done better "outreach" with photography
    than a lot of camera / photography stores+companies ..
    i don't mean showing up at trade shows but
    they have made cameras, new lenses, FUN STUFF
    and reintroduced photography to a whole sector of people because they are looking
    for "fun" not ansel adams ... that regular camera companies may have tried but overlooked.
    polaroid hit on this quite a bit with their wide instant cameras and their JOYCAM ...
    the lomo stores seem to be packed with "stuff" and they give workshops
    on the weekend. they had even asked me in their chicago store to
    give a caffenol-demo on one weekend last year, which unfortunately
    had to decline ( family obligations and air-fare/room-lodging ) ..
    they are every bit on top of things as much as ilford and adox ( hopefully EK/KA )
    ( they used to or still advertise here on apug as well ).
    and to think ( from what his chum/ pal/TA told me ) i used to serve him
    coffee 20 years ago when he was designing the whole lomographic plan ...

====

the whole claiming "hipsters" are lomo's only target market
    is like saying the only target market for LF cameras is old obsessive compulsive
    white guys with beards which is as far away from the truth as it can be. there are
    plenty of people who aren't old or white or men or have OCD who use LF ...

if you want to find out why they aren't selling in UA anymore, call lomo .
    there is a phone number+email address on their website that goes to their office.
    because i think has more to do with a distribution contract running out than "cool people" wanting to
    buy records and 8-track tapes instead.
    Last edited by jnanian; 06-24-2014 at 07:13 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The M/F ratio of lomos in London is less than one ie more girlies...

ditto Rollis and Yashica TLRs!

RB67 only two both fellas

4x5 MPP only one girl

4x5 monorail only one (two fellas operating one pro model... fash shoot)

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You all speak of certain metropoles. So far I have only come across 1 person with a Lomo camera (Diana F).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A neighbour of mine have a Lomo, a real one, other then that I have never seen any of the new Lomos in person, though a quick google search tells me we have a store selling Lomo cameras here in Ljubljana : http://www.lomography.com/magazine/l...ljana-slovenia

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In Hamburg and in Warsaw I see relatively often people with plastic cameras. And yes - every second person is a girl. Recently I met a real Lomo fun: he has bunch of cameras (not only Lomo, also Plaubel Makina!), and has around 30.000 pictures on his Lomography profile! All taken with film.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I use Lomo film in 110 but only because that's all there is!

Which also says it there, they are keeping while formats alive...

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin