Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 72,527   Posts: 1,598,367   Online: 1215

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    if you go to the UO website you will see they have +sell plenty lomo-stuff
    and in the stores the diana is currently on sale ( along with film ).
    Last edited by jnanian; 06-24-2014 at 01:38 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here's the link you were referring to before your changed your above post (#71) to address a completely different thought:

1000's of 120 films for sale 1940's to 2015 expiry dates see advert for more details

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    yes ken

i couldn't find the guy who claimed he sold lomo's film to lomo so i changed
    my post so i wouldn't have people claim i was FOS and making things up &c
    so instead i CALLED lomo + urban outfitters and asked them
    about the displays in the urban outfitters stores.
    urban outfitters said they still had displays. i suggested others do this, but knowing they probably wouldn't
    i did instead seeing it was also mentioned int this thread ...
    diana cameras were on sale along with film ( locally ) and i went to the website ( before i called them )
    and saw they had a bunch of lomograpic stuff on sale on the website, and lomo said uo was still a customer.
    ( holga and lomo are brands, and NOT the same company. same perspective, maybe, but not the same company. )

but i didn't realize there was an unwritten policy that after 11 years of being on apug, and being a former member of the membership council
    that i had to have my post-edit's okayed with my personal parole officer before i changed the thrust of a post.
    i didn't want to have trolls telling me that there was "no guy who claimed he sold lomo their film" and i was full of Cr@@p.
    so instead i edit my post and you comment that i changed the focus of my post to address a completely different thought.

i am sorry to say this, but don't you have anything better to do than monitor my posts / post edits ?
    Last edited by jnanian; 06-24-2014 at 07:51 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever seen one of those Lomo cameras shown on their website out in the wild. Probably due to my age group.
    So there you have it. Apparently they do really exist around here.

Earlier this afternoon I was out running an errand, and lo and behold I saw a young lady with what looked to be a 120 Holga. No bright colors. It was black. On a strap around her neck, she was intently eyeing some old-town building facades. Holga is considered Lomo, right? She looked to be maybe in her early twenties. Real early. Was going to try chatting her up, but she was gone when I came back out of the store.

Don't know if she was a "hipster" or not. I really wouldn't know how to tell. And it doesn't matter anyway. She was consuming film.

How about that...

Ken
    Last edited by Ken Nadvornick; 06-24-2014 at 07:10 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Little bit extra...
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    Will they survive the end of the hipster? I hope so.

Thoughts?
    Actually, the question is, will the hipster shops survive the end of the hipster? The hipster shops are catering to a trend, and that's it. (And the Guardian article is fluff.) Freestyle Photo has listed a lot of its Holga and other lo-fi cameras as closeouts.

Here's what I do know about me and my Holga: I have never seen anybody else using one of these, ever. I do know that I've run quite a few rolls through it. What do I feel when I use it? It's a camera, and I don't care about it. If it gets messed up, I don't care. If it gets stolen, I don't care. I'm happy with a lot of stuff from it, because it's like, "hey, the camera worked again!" I've put tape over the light leak holes, cardboard in it to provide friction for the supply roll, bent the clips on the side so they won't accidentally fly off the camera, and some tape over the red film window. And I just feed it cheap film.

But of course you don't need a Holga to do lo-fi. The other day I ran paper through almost all of my 4x5 holders trying to spot a light leak. (The lab was the light leak, and it was only on my contact prints. The camera and holders are fine.) What did I see? Some interesting stuff when I used expired paper. I exposed at something like EI 3, and developed for 30sec. Expired paper definitely doesn't react the same as fresh film! There's a few interesting images that I didn't expect.

The real question is, how many new photographers has the Holga and its ilk brought to film photography? That's one question that is hard to answer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Predicting is hard, even harder if it involves future
    Luis Miguel Castañeda Navas
    http://imaginarymagnitude.net/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Although not related to "hipsters," I know a few people who have gotten into film by other means. One is a coworker who's friend found something resembling parts of a 4x5 camera in her father's estate. He brought it to work, and a couple of us couldn't figure out what it used to be (perhaps a cheap copy camera, there were only some parts: lens/shutter/board, a couple backs, and some odd pieces of wood. Not even a bed or rail). He wanted to turn it into some semblance of a camera for his friend, if only for display, for her to remember her father by. He thought it would be great if she could actually take a few pictures with it - even only once.

We told him how to "fake it" together enough to take some pictures. Instead of completely faking it, he bought bellows from ebay and forced it to work. Not correct, but it was now a "camera." He then bought some Ultrafine film. Another coworker and myself lent him equipment and chemicals to develop the film.

Considering it was his first time, and the camera was cobbled together, the results weren't great - but he really got into it. I lent him my Holga. Then he purchased a beat-up Kiev, his own tanks and changing bag, etc. Ultimately he bought a nice TLR (not sure what brand). He's not forsaken digital, but he is enjoying film... and in no way is he an "hipster." There may be more people into fads than people like him, but he will stick with it longer.
    Truzi

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Somewhere... I'll bet her dad was smiling.

Ken

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    i got an email back from urban outfitter's parent company
    which said that ... a reason why the lomo is not very prominent in stores is because it is from 2013 ...
    that might mean their stores change their promotions every year and in 2013 one of their promotions
    was the lomo, and this year its something else ... from my experience working in retail, the stores change their "look at me" stuff
    every few months so my poor guess is UO doesn't have them prominently displayed in the stores
    but if you go to the store and ask " hey, where are the cameras?!" they will send you to the website to buy one
    since they ARE there ... a keyword away.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Thanks for the research, John!
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin