Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,471   Posts: 1,570,923   Online: 764

Page 1 of 16 123456711 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Film photography as fashion and the decline of the hipster

Like it or not, various forms of "lo-fi" film photography are a not insignificant source of the market for film right now--the Holga craze of a few years ago, Lomography, plastic cameras as accessories, Instax as a cool thing for teens and twenty-somethings who want to be "different." Of course not everyone experimenting with plastic cameras and the like is just in it to follow the fashion trend--if anything the serious photographers experimenting with chance in the making of art are defining the fashion--but still, the fashionistas constitute a market for film, keeping up demand for acetate base, coating plants, chemicals, and everything that we all need to do analogue photography. Like any fashion, it's going to change, and all those Soviet cameras that were passé in the 1980s will again become passé.

http://www.theguardian.com/fashion/2...ards?CMP=fb_gu

This will affect film photographers, even those who don't identify as "hipsters."

Just to give one example, in Honolulu, the straightforward photo shops no longer sell film, paper, or darkroom supplies. A shop that started out marketing to the Lomography crowd picked up that market, offering a fairly good selection of films, a few kinds of paper, chemicals, used cameras, cyanotype kits, becoming a supplier for photo courses at local universities, an exhibition space, and location for camera swap meets a few times a year. Will they survive the end of the hipster? I hope so.

Thoughts?
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, if beards and tattoos are the price I have to pay to keep film alive then I guess I'll have to keep practicing looking the other way!

I was in Foto Riesel recently (which is probably the closest thing to a pro or proto-hipster ) photo shop in Sydney. The Lomography films had their own special display shelf next to the fridge with all the "proper" film in it! I chatted to the experienced film deveopment guy and we studied the labels for a while trying to figure out which manufacturers were being re-badged. Then I bought some Tri-X. I think it is a temporary blip but it may just extend the life of some films for a little while.
    http://www.tonyeganphotography.com/index.html
    "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." Groucho Marx

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm not sure what purpose it serves to identify other people as "hipsters"; except perhaps to allow "serious photographers" to identify themselves as "serious" in contradistinction to those silly bearded tattooed dilettantes ... it all, sadly, feeds the tendency for derision and contempt of "the others" (those that aren't "us")

it's just taking photographs. we don't need to be tribal about it

Shooter
    35mm

Hepcats

A true Hipster is a Hepcat, an Aficionado of hot jazz and bebop. Cab Calloway was a Hipster. These latter-day fakes are Lawrence Welks, trying to become something that is not there and that they will never be. Why not call 'em George Eastmans --they push the button and somebody does the rest.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There we go, exactly what I'm saying.

Pavlov could have made a case-study from APUG.

Another thread for the ignore button ...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pdeeh View Post
    I'm not sure what purpose it serves to identify other people as "hipsters"; except perhaps to allow "serious photographers" to identify themselves as "serious" in contradistinction to those silly bearded tattooed dilettantes ... it all, sadly, feeds the tendency for derision and contempt of "the others" (those that aren't "us")

You are right on the money, there. Its this perpetual desire to categorize and "other-ize" people that drive this.

I put this banner on my Facebook page a while back.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1480657_10201776043664674_443493678_n.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	36.0 KB 
ID:	90008
    I shoot digital when I have to (most of those shots end up here) and film (occasionally one of those shots ends up here) when I want to.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've noted that Showcase, the big bricks and mortar store here in Atlanta, has a sizable display of "hipster" cameras and film right out in the open. What most of us would call "serious" film is behind the counter, and expensive. By contrast, Wings camera, bricks and mortar and over 100 years old, caters to students and film folks and sells what I would call mainstream film, paper, chemicals, and a fine assortment of used gear, from 35mm to an 8 x 10 view camera I saw there the other day.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by snapguy View Post
    A true Hipster is a Hepcat, an Aficionado of hot jazz and bebop. Cab Calloway was a Hipster. These latter-day fakes are Lawrence Welks, trying to become something that is not there and that they will never be. Why not call 'em George Eastmans --they push the button and somebody does the rest.
    I'll agree with Cab Calloway, but let's not degrade Lawrence Welk. Who else was so cool as to have a 'bubble machine'?
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!
    For all practical purposes, they've taken Kodak away.

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pdeeh View Post

+1!

Not only that, some of the work these young people do is far more artistic than the tightly wound up lens and film "tests" often found on this site. Before this era of photography took off, I would have never in a million years guessed the old guard would react the way they have.
    Last edited by PKM-25; 06-22-2014 at 10:38 AM. Click to view previous post history.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Egan View Post
    Well, if beards and tattoos are the price I have to pay to keep film alive then I guess I'll have to keep practicing looking the other way!
    I have a beard too... Actually I thought the archetype of Apugger would be someone with a beard anyway.

Page 1 of 16 123456711 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin